Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Folding@Zelaron (Cure Cancer with your computer!)
Posted 2008-08-18, 05:55 PM
If you haven't heard of it before, Folding@home is basically a Stanford-developed distributed computing project which performs computationally intense simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics.

Folding@home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, and it is used to give scientists a better understanding of why proteins sometimes do not fold correctly, which occasionally leads to various consequences and diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

All you need to do to run Folding@home on your computer (either on your CPU or your GPU) or on your PS3 is to download the client from http://folding.stanford.edu.

Note that your computer (or PS3) runs Folding@home on low priority by default. Thus, Folding@home will only run on full speed while you are not using your computer. When you are using your computer, Folding@home's calculation speed (or more specifically, its amount of calculations per second) will slow down to not bog down your other applications and games. In other words, running Folding@home will not (notably) affect your computer's performance.

What are you waiting for? Join the Zelaron folding team now and start folding!

Zelaron Team ID (Input this into your Folding@home client): 143204

Zelaron Team Statistics: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...teamnum=143204

Client Download: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-12-05 at 07:22 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-08-18, 05:58 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Folding@Zelaron (Cure Cancer with your..."
In case you didn't feel like reading my previous post, or even if you did, this is a pretty good video introduction to the Folding@home project:

BORKED

In theory, if we get a good team ranking, it should also work as advertisement for Zelaron.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-08-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-08-18, 06:20 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "In case you didn't feel like reading my..."
I have contributed. This is a very interesting program.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-08-18, 06:50 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I have contributed. This is a very..."
dang computer to old
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-08-18, 07:32 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "dang computer to old"
-Spector- said: [Goto]
I have contributed. This is a very interesting program.

Nice! Yes, it is.

jamer123 said: [Goto]
dang computer to old

Actually, somewhat "old" computers run Folding@home just fine. Here's some information from the official FAQ on the Folding@home website:

Folding@home FAQ said:
What are the minimum system requirements?

All computers can contribute to Folding@home. However, if the computer is too slow (e.g. wasn't bought in the last 3-4 years or so), the computer might not be fast enough to make the deadlines of typical work units. A Pentium 3 450 MHz or newer equivalent computer (with SSE) is able to complete work units before they expire.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-08-18, 07:34 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Nice! Yes, it is. Actually,..."
i tryed and i cant even connect
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:11 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Folding@Zelaron (Cure Cancer with your..."
Chruser said:
(If you think your system can out-compute mine, you are mistaken.)

Ha, I have 9850 Quad Core and a 9950 Quad Core running at my house plus a PS3. Do you really think you can out power that?

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:25 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Ha, I have 9850 Quad Core and a 9950..."
Yes .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:26 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Ha, I have 9850 Quad Core and a 9950..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
Ha, I have 9850 Quad Core and a 9950 Quad Core running at my house plus a PS3. Do you really think you can out power that?

Talk is cheap. Look who's in the lead!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:28 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Talk is cheap. Look who's in the lead!"
Chruser said: [Goto]
Talk is cheap. Look who's in the lead!

I've been trying to connect. I seem to be having some issues though. By the way, it's not just talk. We seriously have a butt-load of powerful crap at my house. Not including my crappy laptop, which is the one I was trying to connect with first.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:31 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Folding@Zelaron (Cure Cancer with your..."
My computers free time is used up by BOINC
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:41 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "My computers free time is used up by..."
And BOINC = ?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2008-08-18, 08:42 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "And BOINC = ?"
Yay, my computer is 50/2500 checkpoints completed. Only 98% to go!

--------EDITS------EDITS---------EDITS-------------
=======================
1.8GHz (Cores = 2) CPU - My Laptop is at - Finished 4 - 400/5000 :: Running an AMD Athalon 64 X2

? CPU - PS3 at - Finished 3 - ? :: Running GPU

2.5GHz (Cores = 4) CPU - Brother Michael_sama - Finished 47 - |Too Many Running Simultaneously| :: Running an AMD Phenom X4

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-11-29 at 04:19 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-08-18, 10:45 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yay, my computer is 50/2500 checkpoints..."
I have it running on 2 computers now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2008-08-19, 12:49 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "My computers free time is used up by..."
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2008-08-19, 08:15 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "http://boinc.berkeley.edu/"
Folding@home is single-handedly more powerful than the entire BOINC network.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-08-19, 08:34 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Folding@home is single-handedly more..."
i think i downloaded it correctly - can anyone verify that im actually running this thing?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-19, 08:54 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "i think i downloaded it correctly - can..."
I downloaded it but seemed to have some sort of problem communicating with their network to recieve work. I gave up due to lack of care.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-19, 11:36 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Folding@Zelaron (Cure Cancer with your..."
I might give it a give it a go with this computer when my new one is built.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-08-20, 01:40 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I might give it a give it a go with..."
I'm trying to run it as I leave my computer on 24/7, but it keeps saying "can't connect and no work to be done". Did I miss something?

Although, I just noticed that my wireless internet client is suddenly taking 300mb of RAM in the background. Dunno if that's related.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn