Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Girl...loses feet on Ride!
Posted 2007-06-22, 04:35 PM
Copied/pasted from the Local news site here in Fla.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...eKQrYN/UwVM%3D

Young Girl Loses Feet on Kentucky Theme Park Ride

NBC News Channel Report

By Mark Schnyder
WAVE/NBC News Channel

LOUISVILLE, KY -- A 13-year old girl visiting Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville lost both of her feet when a ride malfunctioned Thursday afternoon. The accident happened on the Superman Tower of Wower, formerly known as the "Hell-a-vator."

Chris Stinnett say he was one ride over from the Superman Tower Drop when he saw the malfunction that sliced a 13-year old girl's feet off.

"At first I thought people were screaming because they were scared. It came back down and I seen the cable come back and hit a lot of people and I heard a lot of crying. It was crazy," said Chris Stinnett.

According to Six Flags no one else was hurt.

A home video, posted on YouTube shows how the Superman Tower of Power ride works at the Six Flags in St. Louis. Riders are strapped in and slowly taken to the top, then dropped at a speed of 56 miles per hour before easing to a stop on the ground. That's what happened here except for one major mishap.

"It went up, the cable snapped and it fell down and cable hit 'em. It was the same thing, just the cable broke," said Chris Stinnett.

Soon after the accident, theme park crews converged at the base of the ride to begin their investigation into what went wrong. The ride is shut down indefinitely.

"We were about to ride that ride before it happened, but then she said let's not ride it, let's go ride something else. That could have been all of us," said Whitney Sandfer, park visitor.

The theme park says it's trying to figure out what exactly went wrong. Other than that, no comment on the incident.

I found the article pretty funny, myself.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-06-22, 06:31 PM in reply to D3V's post "Girl...loses feet on Ride!"
Could you point out the funny? I'm not finding it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-22, 06:35 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Could you point out the funny? I'm not..."
Vollstrecker said:
Could you point out the funny? I'm not finding it.

X2

It's not like 'shocking' either though.

Eh.. Shit happens, I guess.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-22, 07:46 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "X2 It's not like 'shocking' either..."
Man I'd be pissed if I were that girl, but hey she should get a nice settlement from six flags I'd figure if she sues them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-22, 07:53 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "Man I'd be pissed if I were that girl,..."
I'd be shocked if it didn't settle out of court, there's no way they could win a case on that unless it was just to fight some crazy sum her parents wanted.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-22, 09:46 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I'd be shocked if it didn't settle out..."
I'd assume they'd get paid by the park's insurance. Loss of mobility at such a young age probably means a hefty sum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:22 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I'd assume they'd get paid by the..."
yea but no price will be made that will ever allow her to walk again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:25 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "yea but no price will be made that will..."
I think you're underestimating the power of the dollar
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:32 PM in reply to D3V's post "Girl...loses feet on Ride!"
Looks exactly like Giant Drop over here. Wonder if they closed that one off as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-06-22, 11:53 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Looks exactly like Giant Drop over..."
For the most part all the rides are safe there are just those random freak accidents every once in a while. Sometimes ya just have some effin bad luck. Its pretty safe though as long as you go to a main stream park.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-23, 08:22 AM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "For the most part all the rides are..."
So I shouldn't accept Mantra's invite to attend his very own Kiddyland? He said all the rides are awesome!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-06-23, 09:31 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "So I shouldn't accept Mantra's invite..."
No I'm afraid not. I believe that place might have more than safety issues. If you still want to go just watch your back because mantra might be hiding around the corners.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-23, 10:04 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Looks exactly like Giant Drop over..."
If the cable snapped, it's due to poor maintenance. The cable should be periodically inspected for signs of fatigue and corrosion. Probably, they'll spend a few weeks investigating why this wasn't caught, then they may make sure that the ride is being properly maintained in the other locations. I highly doubt that they would shut them all down immediately just because the one did this.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-06-23, 11:36 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I'd assume they'd get paid by the..."
WetWired said:
I'd assume they'd get paid by the park's insurance. Loss of mobility at such a young age probably means a hefty sum.
I think I mistook Tim talking about a lawsuit sum versus being paid by the company's insurance
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-23, 12:16 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I think I mistook Tim talking about a..."
The dropping rides are fucking gay anyways.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-23, 11:03 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If the cable snapped, it's due to poor..."
WetWired said:
If the cable snapped, it's due to poor maintenance. The cable should be periodically inspected for signs of fatigue and corrosion. Probably, they'll spend a few weeks investigating why this wasn't caught, then they may make sure that the ride is being properly maintained in the other locations. I highly doubt that they would shut them all down immediately just because the one did this.
Yea thats what they do with King da Ka out at Six Flags Great Adventure. Nobody has been hurt, butt they check that ride so often that day old parts are being replaced with new parts. Sick ass ride though
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-06-24, 06:59 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If the cable snapped, it's due to poor..."
WetWired said:
If the cable snapped, it's due to poor maintenance.
That's an assumption. How do you know it wasn't a newly replaced cabled that just wasn't manufactured right? How do you know it wasn't tampered with? How do you know that a ricochet bullet didn't come flying from a mile away and hit that cable?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-06-24, 10:05 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "That's an assumption. How do you know..."
Replacing the existing cable with a defective cable is poor maintenance. They should inspect the cable before installation.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2007-06-24, 02:51 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Replacing the existing cable with a..."
I am sure they would have.

Can you do a visual check to assure the proper tensile strength? Maybe you should test every inch of every cable with with a stress tester before you hang it. Last time you bought a car, did you take apart the engine to make sure it was in proper working order?

I am not saying that maintenance isn't at fault, just saying you made an assumption without knowing the facts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-06-24, 03:11 PM in reply to khwiii's post starting "I am sure they would have. Can..."
Without knowing the FUCKING facts, WW.

Without FUCKIN' knowin 'em.

How does that make you feel?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

slaynish