Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Dumbledore vs Gandalf
Posted 2007-07-28, 10:22 AM
I want to hear arguments about who would win and why. Commence!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-28, 10:56 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Dumbledore vs Gandalf"
Ok Ill start. I really dont know enough about Dumbledore to really have a strong case and point, but I am a Lord of the Rings nerd. Gandalf was super powerful, and as long as The Ring/ Sauron lived in Middle Earth, he would be brought back until both never existed. He knew magic, how to wield a sword and brought the proper king to power. He also had Shadowfax, the fastest of all the horses in Rohan. All else aside, he was a great motivator throughout the series, especially in The Hobbit. He made the people around him stronger and helped them to become the best they could be. From what i read, Dumbledore was indeed good, but had some flaws that Gandalf didnt have. Gandalf would survive until the deed was done, while Dumbledore could die (Im assuming they couldnt come back, havent read enough of the series to truly know). But, you could look at it from another perspective. Once the deed is done, Gandalf goes away while Dumbledore can live on. Oh well, i guess ill come back after reading more of the series.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-07-28, 11:11 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Ok Ill start. I really dont know enough..."
Wasn't Gandalf rumored to be a literal Angel of sorts?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-28, 12:25 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Dumbledore vs Gandalf"
Gandalf wins. Motherfucker can die and come back to life and in a bigger and better form. Fucking love to see Dumbledore try that. He'd get his ass whupped by two versions of Gandalf.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-07-28, 01:11 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Gandalf wins. Motherfucker can die and..."
Yes but Dumbledore eats living things and thinks they are candy or snacks. Crazy mofo wizards are always the most powerful and always win so sadly as much I love Gandalf I think Dumbledore would win.
skurai said: [Goto]
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog

Posted 2007-07-28, 11:35 PM in reply to hotdog's post starting "Yes but Dumbledore eats living things..."
I'd say it would be a never-ending battle, as Gandalf could keep coming back but he'd never be able to kill Dumbledore. Stalemate, IMO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-29, 12:20 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'd say it would be a never-ending..."
I think Gandalf could kill Dumbledore.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-07-29, 05:40 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I think Gandalf could kill Dumbledore."
imperio.

make gandalf cut off his dick,

dikless gandalf = many lawls
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-07-29, 05:57 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "imperio. make gandalf cut off his..."
slaynish said:
dikless gandalf = many lawls
Best. Argument. Evar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-29, 06:22 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Best. Argument. Evar."
usonice
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-08-01, 11:56 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Best. Argument. Evar."
mjordan2nd said:
Best. Argument. Evar.
I second that.

It is hard to compare the two because it is two different fantasy worlds with two different types of magic. Dumbledore has almost an endless amount of spells he can cast INSTANTLY and Gandalf seems to wield more elemental power in which seems to take more control and he might not be able to keep up with the pace in which Dumbledore fights with him. Gandalf may come back but the magic in Harry Potter seems more powerful than the magic gandalf uses but I don't know much of the wizards power in middle earth due to the fact that there isn't a whole lot of it in the lord of the rings.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-08-03, 11:42 AM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "I second that. It is hard to compare..."
Yeah I agree with that. Seems like Gandalf is more druidic than arcane in terms of fantasy settings.
skurai said: [Goto]
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog

Posted 2007-08-03, 04:16 PM in reply to hotdog's post starting "Yeah I agree with that. Seems like..."
There's no real evidence that truly Arcane magic exists in the LOTR setting, all magic has been Enchantment based or Nature based. I can't really recall any examples of Evocation, Thaumaturgy, Divination, or Transfiguration.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-08-04, 01:33 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "There's no real evidence that truly..."
All I can remember are lightning/fire/illumination/ Force ? (like when him and sarumon duke it out) based spells from gandalf, these are from the movies though and I only read the hobbit/the 2nd LOTR book. Don't remember him using much of anything in either book.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-08-04, 11:33 AM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "All I can remember are..."
As I said, I think that magic is sharply limited in the LOTR setting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-08-04, 02:39 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "As I said, I think that magic is..."
Crucio!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

slaynish

Posted 2007-08-04, 03:51 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Crucio!"
Ah, but would Dumbledore actually cast an Unforgivable Curse?

Sure, he may have had connections with Dark Magic as an older teenager, but would the Dumbledore in the books perform any Dark Magic?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-08-15, 03:11 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ah, but would Dumbledore actually cast..."
It's all metaphorical... Dark Magic as an older teenager = drugs drugs drugs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-