Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Mentally handicapped vs Blindness
Posted 2007-06-22, 03:38 PM
Another hypothetical situation that probably doesn't happen that often.

Situation; You're an average boy/girl man/woman living a normal life with no deforminites mental retardations and with perfect vision, now, Given the choice of having Down Syndrome, or being blind, which would you rather become?

/Discuss.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-06-22, 03:45 PM in reply to D3V's post "Mentally handicapped vs Blindness"
I'd probably choose blindness, as from what I understand losing one of your senses usually enhances the others, so it might end up being a somewhat fair trade off.

Then again, there are some things that I would really miss seeing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-22, 03:53 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'd probably choose blindness, as from..."
Blindness definitely. With down syndrome all of my senses would be hindered instead of just one. You should just say mental retardation because you can't really aquire down syndrome you are born with it. I would miss being able to play video games but I would still have music and I wouldn't need as much assistance as I would if I were mentally challenged.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-22, 04:13 PM in reply to D3V's post "Mentally handicapped vs Blindness"
I suppose it would have to be blindness.

One thing I'd really miss, if I were blind, however, would be being able to read... though I guess one can always learn braille.

Still, at least medicine and science has reached the point where up to 75% of sight can be restored in a fully blind eye (they graft healthy retina cells onto the parts of the back of the eye which have deteriorated, casuing blindness).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 04:23 PM in reply to D3V's post "Mentally handicapped vs Blindness"
Blindness. I can still "view" movies by listening to the action and imagining what's happening in my head. DS just takes too much away.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-06-22, 04:24 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I suppose it would have to be..."
Lenny said:
I suppose it would have to be blindness.

One thing I'd really miss, if I were blind, however, would be being able to read... though I guess one can always learn braille.

Still, at least medicine and science has reached the point where up to 75% of sight can be restored in a fully blind eye (they graft healthy retina cells onto the parts of the back of the eye which have deteriorated, casuing blindness).
Yeah which is true, and you could always get audio tapes as well, as for me I'd hate to be either, I'm sure all of us have somewhat of mental retardation to an extent, but being blind would be better just because of the recent medical breakthroughs we've unveiled.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-06-22, 04:28 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah which is true, and you could..."
Personally, I think that every single audio book should be destroyed. With an audio book you don't even get close to the written word.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-06-22, 06:17 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Personally, I think that every single..."
Lenny said:
Personally, I think that every single audio book should be destroyed. With an audio book you don't even get close to the written word.
The advantage to audio books is that you can listen to an entire series on a roadtrip or something, that would be the only situation I would consider an audio book over a printed book.

As far as the OP is concerned, I'd take blindness. I could not live with DS, I'd rather die than suffer any inhibition to my ability to reason or learn.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-22, 10:33 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "The advantage to audio books is that..."
blindness.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-06-23, 12:04 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "blindness."
I guess no one wants to be retarded!! I suppose it makes sense because what good is sight if you can't even register what you are seeing?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-06-23, 05:37 AM in reply to D3V's post "Mentally handicapped vs Blindness"
I think this has turned out to be a dumb question.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-06-23, 09:06 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I think this has turned out to be a..."
More like a retarded question.

LOL U GET IT? lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-23, 09:15 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "More like a retarded question. LOL U..."
Obligatory 'I C WUT U DID THAR'
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-06-23, 11:51 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Obligatory 'I C WUT U DID THAR'"
i would choose to have ass burgers
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2007-06-24, 07:03 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "i would choose to have ass burgers"
lets wikigroan
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-06-24, 08:58 PM in reply to D3V's post "Mentally handicapped vs Blindness"
D3V said:
Another hypothetical situation that probably doesn't happen that often.

Situation; You're an average boy/girl man/woman living a normal life with no deforminites mental retardations and with perfect vision, now, Given the choice of having Down Syndrome, or being blind, which would you rather become?

/Discuss.
Blindness. Being able to think rationally is a great gift we have.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-06-24, 11:04 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Blindness. Being able to think..."
I think you mean it's a great gift MOST people have. Some people don't, at all, and it isn't due to mental retardation, it's due to mental dumbassness.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-25, 09:28 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "The advantage to audio books is that..."
Vollstrecker said:
The advantage to audio books is that you can listen to an entire series on a roadtrip or something, that would be the only situation I would consider an audio book over a printed book.
My aunt used to listen to audio books on her visits to see us (she's from WY, and we were in AZ), my parents just had me read to them on road trips lol.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-06-25, 12:57 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I think this has turned out to be a..."
GravitonSurge said:
I think this has turned out to be a dumb question.

Maybe I should edit it to "Autistic" or something.. they do say that some autism "sufferes" are slightly more intelligent than the common human.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-06-25, 01:00 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Maybe I should edit it to "Autistic" or..."
I've posted about it before, but there's this one guy who has autism but he's fully functional. He's got exceptional brain capabilities, but he doesn't suffer the negative effects of autism. It's pretty nifty.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!