Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Pakistan Removed from the Internet
Posted 2008-02-25, 12:48 PM
Quite amusing, really. An ISP took government legislation literally, blocked access to YouTube by routing all of YouTube's IP requests to other sites it thought was more appropriate... and that means ALL IP addresses, worldwide. They collapsed under the sheer amount of traffic, bringing Pakistani internet access to a complete halt. The Pakistani government, whose legislation it was (apparently YouTube contains blasphemous content... oooh... scary), effectively DDoS'd Pakistan. Fucking owned, you might say.

I'll quote the whole article, as it's quite short:

Quote:
The telecom company that carries most of Pakistan’s traffic, PCCW, has found it necessary to shut Pakistan off from the Internet while they filter out the malicious routes that a Pakistani ISP, PieNet, announced earlier today. Evidently PieNet took this step to enforce a decree from the Pakistani government that ISP’s must block access to YouTube because it was a source of blasphemous content.

I cannot let the irony pass with out commenting. A religious state, Pakistan, identifies a content provider, YouTube, as the source of blasphemous, seditious content and orders, King Canute style, that the Internet tides be stopped. A zealous ISP ignorantly decides the best way to comply with the decree is to re-route all of YouTube’s IP addresses to whatever site they thought was more appropriate. The first repercussion was that YouTube disappeared from the Internet for almost an hour. I suspect the second repercussion was that Pakistan’s Internet access crawled to a halt as all of a sudden they were handling IP requests for one of the busiest sites in the world. As of this writing YouTube has announced more granular routes so that at least in the US they supercede the routes announced by PieNet. The rest of the world is still struggling. So, while working on a fix that will filter out the spurious route announcements, PCCW has found it necessary to shut down Pakistan’s Internet access. The leadership of Pakistan just created a massive Denial of Service on their own country.

I could say: “be careful what you wish for” to those elements that object to free and open access to information and expression of ideas. But to put it in terms they might understand better: Do not anger the Internet gods or you will suffer their wrath!

Update: This blog points out that the “blasphemous content” claim may be a red herring. There may be more political motivations behind it.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=548&tag=nl.e622

----------

Just thought I'd add a couple more things that I've heard:

- The DDoS was done by one person -- apparently a very young engineer (late teens/early twenties)
- It succeeded in stopping YouTube access for the whole world because the YouTube server bank is in one place -- if that goes down, the whole operation goes down, whereas with something like Google where the server banks are spread out and separate, if one goes down there are backups.
- The fella has been offered a job by either Microsoft or Google (different people have told me different things. I'd put my money on it being Google).
- Said fella is said to be considering the offer because he is now facing extremist threats (from the free speech lobbyists and whatnot).

Amazing thing to have done.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-02-25 at 01:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-02-25, 01:02 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Pakistan Removed from the Internet"
That's the funniest thing that I've ever heard. I read earlier about them Blocking YouTube for discracing Muhammed, which reminds me, I need to make that video..

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-02-25, 04:05 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That's the funniest thing that I've..."
that reminds me of how the closed down the state of new jersey a while ago
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-02-25, 06:45 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Pakistan Removed from the Internet"
This makes me glad to be an American.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2008-02-26, 09:05 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "This makes me glad to be an American."
We have just as many idiots as anywhere else in this world.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-02-27, 02:24 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Pakistan Removed from the Internet"
That's fucking fantastic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-02-27, 06:55 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Pakistan Removed from the Internet"
Hahahahahaha.

XD

XD XD XD

Fuck! Oh God! HAHA!!

Heheh.... Oh, man.

Nice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas