Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Removing thread expiration
Posted 2007-04-27, 03:09 AM
I think removing thread expiration might increase activity, as there are some old threads that I know I, and at least a few others have looked back at and have expressed wanting to reply to now with the new knowledge that we have gained since then. I understand that this can contribute to spam, however I think it would overall increase activity. Perhaps we could implement it something like we have implemented how new members post: mods have to approve any posts in a thread that has been dead for over 2 months? I don't know, just something I'd like to see.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-27, 03:12 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Removing thread expiration"
Could always PM either Lenny or I to bump the thread. AIM works too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-27, 08:39 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Could always PM either Lenny or I to..."
Sovereign said:
Could always PM either Lenny or I to bump the thread. AIM works too.
Why should anyone have to go to that trouble though?

I've suggested it before and I still think it's a good idea. Thread digging does nothing but bring more active threads/posts to the forum, and possibly confuses a few people, but it's all in good fun anyway. It's a silly system that should have never been put in place.

EDIT: Oh yeah and why the hell am I not on that list. I can bump shit too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-27, 09:03 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Why should anyone have to go to that..."
It's not silly, it's perfectly logical. PM a mod or posting in Talk to the Staff is equivilent to having moderators approve posts in expired threads, anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-27, 09:32 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "It's not silly, it's perfectly logical...."
WetWired said:
It's not silly, it's perfectly logical. PM a mod or posting in Talk to the Staff is equivilent to having moderators approve posts in expired threads, anyway.
Not for new members who run across an interesting thread from way back, but who don't know or care to get to know the mods or explore the site enough to find the talk to staff button. Honestly, one thread is generally what hooks people onto a forum. If you find that one thread, but can't do anything with it it makes the forum look less appealing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-27, 09:51 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Not for new members who run across an..."
mjordan2nd said:
Not for new members who run across an interesting thread from way back, but who don't know or care to get to know the mods or explore the site enough to find the talk to staff button. Honestly, one thread is generally what hooks people onto a forum. If you find that one thread, but can't do anything with it it makes the forum look less appealing.
I hadn't even thought about that point, MJ.

Really, what IF someone is brought here by some old thread, but they can't post in it? That might make the difference between them staying or leaving.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-27, 10:25 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "It's not silly, it's perfectly logical...."
WetWired said:
I kind of think you overestimate the drive of a lot of people to post in expired threads =P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-27, 10:26 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I kind of think you overestimate the..."
Well if they really want to, then they can just ask a staff member to bump it for them...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-27, 10:30 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well if they really want to, then they..."
Lenny said:
Well if they really want to, then they can just ask a staff member to bump it for them...
And what about new members? What if they are drawn here to Zelaron by a thread from the past and they want to post in it but they can't?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-27, 10:40 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "And what about new members? What if..."
If a thread is inactive, and has been inactive for a month, then that'll be because people lost interest and just let it die. There's a reason for it being inactive and expired.

If they're a clever member, then they'll ask why they couldn't reply to the thread, and a staff member will probably bump it for them. If they're not, and just leave because of it, then there's a good chance that they're the type of person that posts a few times, and scarpers.

Also, do we really want things that were topical six months, a year, two years, four years ago being brought up again, when people will probably not care about them?

I've personally never seen the need to post in an expired thread. If it's on the same subject that I might have posted a new thread about, then I'd read through, see if it answers my question, and if not, post the new thread. If it does, then no new thread.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-27, 11:01 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If a thread is inactive, and has been..."
Lenny said:
If a thread is inactive, and has been inactive for a month, then that'll be because people lost interest and just let it die. There's a reason for it being inactive and expired.

If they're a clever member, then they'll ask why they couldn't reply to the thread, and a staff member will probably bump it for them. If they're not, and just leave because of it, then there's a good chance that they're the type of person that posts a few times, and scarpers.

Also, do we really want things that were topical six months, a year, two years, four years ago being brought up again, when people will probably not care about them?

I've personally never seen the need to post in an expired thread. If it's on the same subject that I might have posted a new thread about, then I'd read through, see if it answers my question, and if not, post the new thread. If it does, then no new thread.
No.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-27, 11:09 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Why should anyone have to go to that..."
!King_Amazon! said:

EDIT: Oh yeah and why the hell am I not on that list. I can bump shit too.
Lenny and I are on more frequently usually (or so past history suggests). And I sorta forgot of your promotion
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-27, 05:52 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If a thread is inactive, and has been..."
I wouldn't mind getting a few "scarpers" around here. If people want to post once or twice and leave, that's fine. Some, undoubtedly, will stay though. Even the activity of members who post once or twice and then pack up and leave is worth keeping around.

The fact that people have lost interest doesn't mean that the topic has lost relevance. People lose interest because the conversation dwindles. It has nothing to do with the relevance of the topic. All it takes is one post to ignite a thread back up. I would love to reply to the old Iraq threads from 3 or 4 years ago, or some ancient debates we used to have. In fact, I've thought many times about asking one of y'all to bump a few threads, but at that point I get too lazy, despite the fact that I talk to a lot of you on Aim quite a bit. I'm sure that's not an uncommon sentiment from some of the members who've been around here a while.

I can understand the point of view of those who say just make a new thread about the same topic. It seems like a satisfactory solution, and for many scenarios it is. There are plenty of cases where it's not, though. Often times a debate has progressed to a point where both sides have laid down the basis of their argument and everything they say builds upon that basis. If the conversation subsides in that thread, however someone has an epiphany on the topic 3 months down the line, it seems rather redundant for him to have to lay down the entire basis of his argument all over again rather than just posting in the original thread. For instance, if some new guy comes to Zelaron 6 months down the line and wants to go at it with me about evolution, I would much rather he post in Draco's thread rather than me having to restate everything that is already present in that thread.

But us is not who I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about the newcomers. For us, it's an annoyance. For newcomers, it's a deterrent.

I'm not saying that the potential for spam isn't a valid concern, however I think that allowing moderators to approve or disapprove posts from threads that have been dead longer than two months is a reasonable compromise. It is far simpler to just post what you're thinking about rather than having to instant message/private message a moderator to bump the thread. Often times in the hassle of trying to find someone who's currently on, I'll often find that a couple of ideas I wanted to verbalize now elude me. My compromise satisfies both sides. Spam will be minimized, annoyances on older members will be minimized, and newcomers will not be deterred from sticking around, even if it is just for a post or two more.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-27, 06:18 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I wouldn't mind getting a few..."
I'm not even sure if it's possible to moderate expired threads.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-27, 06:25 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I'm not even sure if it's possible to..."
WetWired said:
I'm not even sure if it's possible to moderate expired threads.
Make teh 1337 h4x?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-29, 03:22 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Lenny and I are on more frequently..."
Failure imo.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2007-04-30, 12:53 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Removing thread expiration"
Kinda like the old old OLD thread about the Iraq War (when it was starting).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-30, 06:00 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Kinda like the old old OLD thread about..."
KagomJack said:
Kinda like the old old OLD thread about the Iraq War (when it was starting).
Lol, we should resurrect that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-05-01, 01:33 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Lol, we should resurrect that."
Even though i know that this will contradict myself, I agree with all of you!!!! In some ways.
No experation date is a good thing.
But having one is too.
the whole site could run slower with so many treads to remember.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin