Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Language Program
Posted 2010-09-21, 02:20 PM
Table of Contents
# Titles
# 0 Starting
# 1 Overview
# 2 Getting Started / Installing
# 3 Download

Hi everyone, I haven't written anything in a while. So here I am.

Due to my quickly increasing need to know more kanji (I'm moving to Japan in a year) I designed a program which could be used for doing just that. Learning kanji recognition quickly and effectively. As well as larger words strung together. Soon after writing it, I realized that it could effectively be used for other languages as well. Since it had no major limits other than string width, not length. So, yeah, keep that noted.

To further explain this program and theory behind it. It's really very simple and partially based on another program (LRNJ) someone else had designed. However, their learning design was flawed and I fixed that flaw in their design. So it goes as such.

* System and Time Limit (You set it, normal is 5 seconds)
In the program you're given a time limit that forces you to have to think quickly, otherwise you'll get the question wrong. If you fail your percentage will go down on your total score, which is completely visible at all times during the test. As well, the answer to the problem you just got wrong will show so that you can get it correctly now and send in the answer.

* Small and Large Lists
The program allows you to make lists, since I don't plan to make anything other than Japanese kanji and word lists. They can be as big or as small as you want them to be.
To further the learning process, use small lists until you have those in the list down. When you have small lists, the above explanation for how this program teaches should be obvious. When you get one wrong, you're told your wrong making you want to get it right, then giving you the answer. That way next time you come across it, you'll get it correctly. It does quickly and efficiently work for this purpose, I tested it on some other people who don't know Japanese at all.
Large lists are effective as a review tool. I suggest against trying to learn with large lists. I tested that and everyone was telling me it was a lot easier to learn with small lists. I agreed and had already had that thought in the back of my head.

* Settings
While in the program, there are several extras that were stuck in for the purpose of learning. But can be shut off if you need. These include
- Show word meaning / definition (turn off to ensure you're actually learning by recognition)
- Show word notes (if there are any) / No notes
- Show timer / No timer
- Autoload on / off
Autoload is a system that as you're typing will check for your current text vs the answer. If they match, it'll automatically send the answer in. This setting is good for reviewing. I don't think you should have it on for learning.

----------------
Okay, so now that I've broken that down. The Windows version is under development. The current version is web based because I was on Ubuntu and didn't want to log off, and I don't write programs for Linux, so...but the web based version was not made to be put on the web. Odd right? Not so much, I make a lot of stuff like that.

To use, follow these instructions
1) Install XAMPP
2) Stick files in "/xampp/htdocs/(PROGRAM FOLDER NAME HERE)/"
3) Run through web browser at "http://127.0.0.1/(PROGRAM FOLDER NAME HERE)/"

The program's web version was sloppy, but that's also 'cause I didn't intend to make the thing for the web in the first place. But hey, I've now refined it, so it's not so bad.

Is there anyone here interested in trying the program? If yes, I'll PM you a link to the program as well as the lists currently. Because I don't want everyone on Earth coming and grabbing this program randomly. I really just need more feedback before I officially release it. The Windows version should be done today or tomorrow depending on the amount of work I put into it.

Okay, reply like usual. If you want to test it, make sure to directly state you want to test it. Otherwise I won't send a link.

------------------------

Official release pending.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2010-10-26 at 10:27 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-21, 02:28 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "Language Program"
GLG I'll test it.
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2010-09-21, 05:00 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "Language Program"
I'd be honored to test it.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-22, 01:15 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I'd be honored to test it."
jamer123 said: [Goto]
GLG I'll test it.
Sent.

Skurai said: [Goto]
I'd be honored to test it.
Not sent. You have private messages blocked.

-----------------
I'll have a pretty heavy update for the web version tomorrow to speed it up significantly.

I'm still working on the Windows Version.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-22, 06:27 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "Language Program"
You should try http://lrnj.com . It automatically guages how you're doing with the kanji you've already covered and presses forward or reviews depending. It's done up as an RPG and the enemies are constantly hitting you while waiting for your answer (instead of using a fixed time limit). Overall, I find the learning system to be very refined and the program to be quite effective. At one point, I was up to 800 Kanji, but Having not used any of them in over a year, I've since forgotten most of them
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2010-09-22, 11:03 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You should try http://lrnj.com . It..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
You should try http://lrnj.com . It automatically guages how you're doing with the kanji you've already covered and presses forward or reviews depending. It's done up as an RPG and the enemies are constantly hitting you while waiting for your answer (instead of using a fixed time limit). Overall, I find the learning system to be very refined and the program to be quite effective. At one point, I was up to 800 Kanji, but Having not used any of them in over a year, I've since forgotten most of them

My system is based on that program. But as I said, it was flawed. So I fixed it's flaws in the theory behind learning. Also, instead of trying to teach the English word so that you only read the word in English. You learn the actual spelling so that as well as learning how it's written, you learn how to speak it. In testing, I did have people try both programs, I was told by 3 different people so far that my program was much more effective. So, it's not that, that program is bad, just had some flaws and I've fixed them.

Also, sorry 'bout losing that 800 Kanji. But yeah, when you don't speak/write in another language for a while, a lot of it is lost. I normally practice 30-minutes a day, 7-days a week in to ensure I don't forget what I know. The 30-minutes is usually just me reading a raw manga and translating it along the way. It is quite effective

Anyways, web based program is available if you wanted to see. Though I'm not very close to finishing the lists. Still have a way to go.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-22, 08:13 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Sent. Not sent. You have private..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
You have private messages blocked.
No I don't, my and Lenny cyber PM all the time.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-22, 10:01 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "No I don't, my and Lenny cyber PM all..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
No I don't, my and Lenny cyber PM all the time.

Well, I can't PM you, so that's the end of that. Once you've cleared some messages out, tell me and I'll try again.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-23, 06:56 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "... Well, I can't PM you, so that's..."
Alrighty.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-25, 06:07 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Alrighty."
Jamer, since you're the only person who currently knows where to get the program and lists, unless WetWired just looks at the PMs in the database, I did a fairly significant update to main program. Not too much to the interface, but I did update it as well. Also, all lists were at least slightly altered. I'll be working on some more lists tonight and upload them tomorrow, probably.

School and work are getting my way. Haven't had much free time. *sigh*

-----------
Anyone else that wants to try it, ask me. I need more testers. I've had a few testers from college, and am getting another one on monday, but I still want more. More testers = Better results. Also tells me what I should change/add.

Like the newest addition, which is multiple answers for a word. Like, hi or nichi (日) for sun/day/Sunday and nana or shichi (七) for seven.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-26, 05:01 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Jamer, since you're the only person who..."
Whats wrong with Rosetta Stone?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-09-26, 06:22 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Whats wrong with Rosetta Stone?"
Kazilla said: [Goto]
Rarely do I ever write such a thing as this, but I must. LOL.

Edit: Rosetta Stone is shit AND you missed the point of the program.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2010-09-26 at 06:24 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-26, 06:47 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Rarely do I ever write such a thing as..."
Probably did
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-09-26, 07:26 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Whats wrong with Rosetta Stone?"
Kazilla said: [Goto]
What isn't???
I'm sure you could learn better japanese watching Kamen Rider in subs.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-26, 08:07 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "My system is based on that program. But..."
LRNJ does have a mode that teaches readings. It also has a mode that teaches touch typing with a Japanese keyboard layout.

For Japanese at least, Rosetta Stone is awful. Among other problems, the way it phrases sentences is unlike what you will usually actually use/hear.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2010-09-26, 09:55 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "LRNJ does have a mode that teaches..."
LRNJ does have a mode that teaches readings.
I never found it. Plus I don't care since it's not quite the same as my program. As I stated before, it was the basis, but my program is different on it's own standings. Otherwise I wouldn't have made it.

Also, my program has has lists for katakana and hiragana for starters, as with a tester I just had minutes ago. In 40-minutes he had the Vowels, K, S, and T character sets down from katakana. Tomorrow I will test them again, see how much they remembered. Then they will continue using the program for 20-60 minutes for the next 7-days. By the end of that, I expect them to have the katakana syllabary completely down.

It also has a mode that teaches touch typing with a Japanese keyboard layout.
That's kinda useless. Nothing wrong with the English keyboard layout using Japanese keyboard settings. That's what I've been doing for years.

For Japanese at least, Rosetta Stone is awful. Among other problems, the way it phrases sentences is unlike what you will usually actually use/hear.
Yes, I grabbed it myself because I saw this commercial and started laughing when the person talking didn't fully understand when it's proper/improper to use such a phrase as "o genki desu ka". That system doesn't properly teach the way you the way particles should be used and seemed to just try to throw someone with no knowledge a load of shit. The words that were taught, fine. The sentences and structure of those sentences, no, just, no.

I doubt any person who's only used rosetta stone can break down a sentence as simple and straightforward as these two. Which I will show an easy, Japanese to English breakdown of it. Because it really is, straightforward.

Breakdown 1
その人はどこに行きませんでした。
sono hito wa doko ni ikimasen deshita.

[sono hito wa]
As for that person

[doko ni ikimasen deshita]
where didn't go

That person never went anywhere.

Or, a little bit more difficult, but nothing even close to hard. And really, still straightforward.

Breakdown 2
僕の姉ちゃんは雨の好きです。でも 小雨が僕の一番。
boku no neechan wa ame no suki desu. demo, kosame ga boku no ichiban desu.

[boku no neechan wa]
As for my sister

[ame no suki desu]
likes rain

[demo, kosame ga]
but, a drizzle

[boku no ichiban desu]
my favorite | my #1

My sister likes the rain, but my favorite is a light rain.

So, yeah, hmm...a recommended learning tool specifically for Japanese would be a product someone had told me about called Human Japanese. I acquired it myself through not the most legal means, but approve. It is much better than rosetta stone ever will be for Japanese.

Anyways, huzzah! I'll report back later. I've got work to do.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-27, 06:13 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I never found it. Plus I don't care..."
LRNJ teaches katakana and hiragana. I think it just isn't in the demo version anymore.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2010-09-27, 11:43 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "LRNJ teaches katakana and hiragana. I..."
I don't want to buy it, so it looks like I'll never know.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2010-09-27, 03:20 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I don't want to buy it, so it looks..."
Could you find someone else who has it, and take it from them?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai