Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

The Zelaron MMORPG (Discussion thread)
Posted 2008-06-10, 01:03 PM
Shinto Katana and I have discussed the idea of starting a Zelaron MMORPG development project, in which any member of Zelaron can contribute. In other words, it will be an open game development project void of financial interests, and an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to practice their artistic, musical or programming skills.

The basic premise is for players to defend Castle Zelaron (a subsidiary of The Zelaron Empire) against waves of incoming attackers. Every wave of invading antagonists will become increasingly difficult to extirpate until The Zelaron Empire is eventually defeated by its adversaries and the game is restarted. To make things more interesting, the surrounding terrain will be randomly generated at the beginning of every round of the game.

The different waves (first, second, third and so on) will stay the same in strength and number regardless of the amount of players logged into the game, but will vary the strategy of their invasion. To survive as many waves as possible, it will become necessary to co-operate with other players in co-ordinated defensive strategies, and to get as many players as possible to join the game.

High score tables will be shown, and the top players logged into the game will have an opportunity of joining The Conclave. Players who choose to be part of The Conclave will see an overview of the battlefield, and will be able to expand Castle Zelaron with additional structures (which may be used as spawn points or defensive strongholds). They will also be able to co-ordinate defensive efforts by ordering (or suggesting) players where to go.

Thoughts? Feel free to state particular areas you may be willing to contribute in.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-06-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-10, 01:08 PM in reply to Chruser's post "The Zelaron MMORPG (Discussion thread)"
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2008-06-10, 01:17 PM in reply to Shining Knights's post starting "It matters not whether you win or lose;..."
Waves are timed, I suppose? Just thinking about off-peak times.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Merryweather is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMerryweather is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Merryweather

Posted 2008-06-10, 01:26 PM in reply to Merryweather's post starting "Waves are timed, I suppose? Just..."
Shinto, excellent!

Merryweather, welcome to Zelaron! While antagonists still remain, they will attempt to destroy Castle Zelaron at any cost. Thus, there won't be any peak-off times.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-10, 01:27 PM in reply to Merryweather's post starting "Waves are timed, I suppose? Just..."
Merryweather said: [Goto]
Waves are timed, I suppose? Just thinking about off-peak times.
Sign me up for music. I have a slight "resume" if you look for my posts in the RPGMaker forum. I have some songs there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-06-10, 02:00 PM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Sign me up for music. I have a slight..."
lets make it were there is more than one side you can chosse like dragoons for one zelaron for a nother then nights and we can battle a genst other sidesand the colors chruser can choose for the sides and you can buy diffrent weapons for the money of the people that you killed you can also buy dragons to fight with you but you have to be a high level and you can log in with your zelaron username and password
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run

Last edited by jamer123; 2008-06-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-06-10, 03:14 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "lets make it were there is more than..."
What type of graphics are you intending to use in this game? 3-D? Or what were you considering? I can come up with some excellent and creative ideas to help build this game as soon as I know the parameters that we're dealing with.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-06-10, 04:04 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "What type of graphics are you intending..."
Wed-G said: [Goto]
Sign me up for music. I have a slight "resume" if you look for my posts in the RPGMaker forum. I have some songs there.

Sounds good.

jamer123 said: [Goto]
lets make it were there is more than one side you can chosse like dragoons for one zelaron for a nother then nights and we can battle a genst other sidesand the colors chruser can choose for the sides and you can buy diffrent weapons for the money of the people that you killed you can also buy dragons to fight with you but you have to be a high level and you can log in with your zelaron username and password

Having two different sides in the game would not benefit the idea of advertising it to others. If an increasing amount of players is required to survive multiplicatively difficult waves, it will become imperative to advertise the game to others. In other words, making everyone co-operate will make the game popular.

-Spector- said: [Goto]
What type of graphics are you intending to use in this game? 3-D? Or what were you considering? I can come up with some excellent and creative ideas to help build this game as soon as I know the parameters that we're dealing with.

2D, either top-down or Fallout-esque isometric; probably the latter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-10, 04:33 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Sounds good. Having two..."
I would go with the top-down idea, what programs would be required to design this project?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-06-10, 05:19 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I would go with the top-down idea, what..."
Are the attackers going to be 12 year old kids that get attacks like "Bad Grammar" and "Improper Capitalization"? I'd play it, then.

Seriously though, this sounds like a very fun idea. What type of program will this be made in?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noob101

Posted 2008-06-10, 05:52 PM in reply to Noob101's post starting "Are the attackers going to be 12 year..."
I'm going to take a wild guess at it being flash-based.

Either way, it sounds interesting. I'm in as... something.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:05 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'm going to take a wild guess at it..."
Can you have multiplayer flash games? I have no idea how to use flash and I don't play flash games or anything, so I have no idea.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noob101

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:12 PM in reply to Noob101's post starting "Can you have multiplayer flash games? I..."
Noob101 said: [Goto]
Can you have multiplayer flash games? I have no idea how to use flash and I don't play flash games or anything, so I have no idea.
Yeah, flash multiplayer is possible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:13 PM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Yeah, flash multiplayer is possible."
Sweetness. I honestly can't help do anything, but I'll definitely be there for support. And I'll play it, if that counts as helping.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Noob101

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:43 PM in reply to Noob101's post starting "Sweetness. I honestly can't help do..."
Well count me in on the design of the game. Chruser could you list what positions are needed to be filled and the ones that are already filled?

Thanks
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:50 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Well count me in on the design of the..."
Too bad it's 2D. I could do some 3D modeling (I haven't done it in a little while).

I was also hoping it was C++, Ruby, or Python. Flash based is out of my category of scripting.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:50 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Well count me in on the design of the..."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:53 PM in reply to Shining Knights's post starting "It matters not whether you win or lose;..."
Is this going to be a stand alone program or a web based program? If so, (For web based) I think Java would be the best choice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:55 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Is this going to be a stand alone..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
Is this going to be a stand alone program or a web based program? If so, (For web based) I think Java would be the best choice.
That's true! Though Java is out of my category of knowledge. It is only my friend who knows Java. I should ask him to teach me.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-06-10, 06:57 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "That's true! Though Java is out of my..."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Shining Knights