Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Overclocking the AMD Phenom II fun!
Posted 2009-03-09, 09:06 PM
To put it in easy I've been overclocking my system to find the right amount of volts, FSB Speed, and Multipliers necessary to keep a stable overclock.

I just figured I share my fun results. I say fun because of the trial and error of shutting down and rebooting many a times.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3.0GHz)

Stable Overclock 1 (Under a 3 hour stress test on all 4 cores at once)

3400 MHz (3.4GHz)
FSB = 200
Multiplier = 17x
CPU Voltage = 1.3750 (New Voltage Test and Passed 3-hour stress test)
FSB Voltage = 1.2000

Stable Overclock 2 (Under a 3 hour stress test on all 4 cores at once)

3500 MHz (3.5GHz)
FSB = 200
Multiplier = 17.5x (17.5 * 200 = 3500)
CPU Voltage = 1.4000
FSB Voltage = 1.2000

My next step is to increase the FSB(Front Side Bus) Speed to 210 and archive a slightly higher clock so that I don't have to clock the Multiplier and CPU voltage as high.

This is a first step, I'll post the others when I finish overclocking to 4.0GHz.

I'm running a water cooled system and the system is staying anywhere from 34C to 40C. So I'm not real worried about the heat.

Here are the picture singles (links).
http://dump.nrgs.org/ext/cpu-z_3500_1.png
http://dump.nrgs.org/ext/cpu-z_3500_2.png
http://dump.nrgs.org/ext/cpu-z_3500_3.png
http://dump.nrgs.org/ext/cpu-z_3500_4.png

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-03-13 at 05:48 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-03-12, 03:48 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "Overclocking the AMD Phenom II fun!"
Nice! Do you set the VCORE manually? How long have you run relevant stress tests, and what memory frequencies do you use?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-03-12, 05:48 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Nice! Do you set the VCORE manually?..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
Nice! Do you set the VCORE manually? How long have you run relevant stress tests, and what memory frequencies do you use?

Yes, I set the VCORE manually, it was quite a mess getting it just right.

As far as stress tests go, I did an extra 3-hour stress test on the 3.5GHz overclock after I'd done these and it lasted and went up to 47C. Which is a tad bit high.

The memory frequency is 400MHz.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-03-13 at 05:54 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-03-12, 06:06 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yes, I set the VCORE manually, it was..."
Sorry for double posting, but I updated the first post with pictures of CPU-Z information.

EDIT 3/13/09 4:50PM(PDT | UTC/GMT -7 hours): I edited the pictures the make them look pretty when aligned with paint.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-03-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-03-14, 01:34 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Sorry for double posting, but I updated..."
It looks like we use the same models of RAM sticks. As for temperatures, <40ºC sounds very low. C2D/C2Q overclockers generally let their load temperatures reach 60ºC - 70ºC, and it doesn't sound likely that Phenom II can't at least get fairly close to those temperatures without resulting in a thermodynamical cataclysm. I think you can push your vcore another 0.5V without much additional risk. However, you should probably procure some 1066 MHz Corsair sticks (e.g. PC3-8500 if your motherboard can handle it) if you want to overclock it a bit more.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-03-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-03-16, 09:41 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "It looks like we use the same models of..."
You both are too intelligent, and have way more money then I will ever possess.

Faggots.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-03-17, 05:06 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "It looks like we use the same models of..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
It looks like we use the same models of RAM sticks. As for temperatures, <40ºC sounds very low. C2D/C2Q overclockers generally let their load temperatures reach 60ºC - 70ºC, and it doesn't sound likely that Phenom II can't at least get fairly close to those temperatures without resulting in a thermodynamical cataclysm.

By this you mean you think the Phenom II can get that high right? Well if it is, the AMD Phenom II, as far as I know, can get hotter and colder than the Intel Quad Cores can. They've tested it in -280ºC with 6.5GHz overclock. I'll try it and see how hot it can get before I start smelling smoke or at least weird stuff starts happening.

Nah, I'll get it higher, if I start worrying about temperatures, then I might do something.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-03-17, 05:20 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "By this you mean you think the Phenom..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
They've tested it in -280ºC with 6.5GHz overclock.

-273.15°C is absolute zero. Anyway, I don't think heat will be as much of a problem as the vcore. Once/if you hit 1.5V and find your best, stable overclock, it's probably your limit unless you want to put your system under significant stress and risk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser