Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Another Tough one. (Involves lots of variables)
Posted 2008-10-07, 05:35 PM
I want a way to make a Blacksmithing/Fishing system with levels. This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Variables:
  • Blacksmithing Level
  • Blacksmithing Exp
  • Chance to Catch

Switches:
  • Blacksmithing Learned
  • Blacksmithing Level

Ok, so i would make an event that would, in theory, Let you craft/catch certain things depending on the variable Blacksmithing Level. The variable Blacksmithing level would be set by another event that would take your exp (gained everytime you do a quest/craft/catch an item.) And find out weather or not its a certain number or less.
For example:
90 or more? (no) ok, then
80 or more? (no) ok, then
70 or more? (yes) ok, then your level 22 in Blacksmithing
Set Variable "Blacksmithing Level" to 22
Text: Congrats! Your level 22 in Blacksmithing! You can now create Custom Armor!

and then, when you go up to an anvil.

Blacksmithing Level? 22 then you can make:
Blah.

all i really need help with is the event that will declare the Blacksmithing level. I'm not sure how to do that. I know there are some great eventers on this forum. So feel free to speculate easier/better ways to do this.
(i do want to have the level system though)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-07, 08:00 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Another Tough one. (Involves lots of..."
Wolfturn said: [Goto]
I want a way to make a Blacksmithing/Fishing system with levels. This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Variables:
  • Blacksmithing Level
  • Blacksmithing Exp
  • Chance to Catch

Switches:
  • Blacksmithing Learned
  • Blacksmithing Level

Ok, so i would make an event that would, in theory, Let you craft/catch certain things depending on the variable Blacksmithing Level. The variable Blacksmithing level would be set by another event that would take your exp (gained everytime you do a quest/craft/catch an item.) And find out weather or not its a certain number or less.
For example:
90 or more? (no) ok, then
80 or more? (no) ok, then
70 or more? (yes) ok, then your level 22 in Blacksmithing
Set Variable "Blacksmithing Level" to 22
Text: Congrats! Your level 22 in Blacksmithing! You can now create Custom Armor!

and then, when you go up to an anvil.

Blacksmithing Level? 22 then you can make:
Blah.

all i really need help with is the event that will declare the Blacksmithing level. I'm not sure how to do that. I know there are some great eventers on this forum. So feel free to speculate easier/better ways to do this.
(i do want to have the level system though)
This isn't very hard at all. Just keep branching all possible solutions. I suggest thinking like a programmer!

If "This happens" this | Else "This happens" Then keep branching out on a piece of paper or paint. Just make a physical drawing, it will make it way easier. I'm busy, so I can't help you out right now.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-10-08, 11:28 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "This isn't very hard at all. Just keep..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
This isn't very hard at all. Just keep branching all possible solutions. I suggest thinking like a programmer!

If "This happens" this | Else "This happens" Then keep branching out on a piece of paper or paint. Just make a physical drawing, it will make it way easier. I'm busy, so I can't help you out right now.
Well, this is what i drew up.

Level = XP / 2 / 10
XP = Level * 2 * 10

so.

Level Xp

1 20
2 40
3 60
4 80
20 400

and then, i would reset it every time i level. so i was thinking of making a new page with this on each page

If switch1 is on then
Conditional Branch is Xp = 20?
Then
Text: "Level UP!"
Change Variable Level +1
Switch002 on
Xp = 0
Else
Do nothing
Else
Do nothing

And make a new switch like that, adding to the XP each time by 20. that way the first level you need to get 20xp next level 40, next level 60 and so on. Do you think that would work?

They took away my pretty spaces.. Sorry for the unorganization. your going to have to live without it.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-08, 01:33 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Well, this is what i drew up. Level..."
You would give 20 XP each time you smith something? Would make it fairly easy to level, especially early on.

As for creating custom items, have an anvil (like you said) have a conditional branch, depending on the level. If level 1, blah. Level 2, blah. Basically like you said. If you'll need certain items to craft something, put it in the conditional branch on the anvil.

It would look awesome if you add a smithing menu that has graphics of what you can/cannot craft, your level, and exp, with the menu opening at the anvil.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I like to think it helps.

As for the fishing system, I had a rough system in place for my harvest moon clone rpg in 2k. I doubt I have it, but I'll look.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noob101

Posted 2008-10-09, 07:49 AM in reply to Noob101's post starting "You would give 20 XP each time you..."
Noob101 said: [Goto]
You would give 20 XP each time you smith something? Would make it fairly easy to level, especially early on.

As for creating custom items, have an anvil (like you said) have a conditional branch, depending on the level. If level 1, blah. Level 2, blah. Basically like you said. If you'll need certain items to craft something, put it in the conditional branch on the anvil.

It would look awesome if you add a smithing menu that has graphics of what you can/cannot craft, your level, and exp, with the menu opening at the anvil.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I like to think it helps.

As for the fishing system, I had a rough system in place for my harvest moon clone rpg in 2k. I doubt I have it, but I'll look.

No depending on your level and what you craft/catch is different xp each thing. i was saying for common stuff at level 1 you'd get 5 xp for rare you'd get 20 xp or something like that. The smithing menu would be great actually, but i think that would require a script. i'll look it up and request it in RMXP.org unless someone can help me out here. anyways, i'm stuck in production of my game until my computer gets fixed. right now i'm on my old one that i ressurected from the dead lol. I'll try to get my RPg makers back on here, but i doubt that it could run em. Thanks though.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-09, 01:51 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "No depending on your level and what you..."
No luck finding the stuff from my fishing system : (

You're welcome, though.

Last edited by Noob101; 2008-10-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoob101 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noob101

Posted 2008-10-09, 02:48 PM in reply to Noob101's post starting "No luck finding the stuff from my..."
Noob101 said: [Goto]
No luck finding the stuff from my fishing system : (

Your welcome, though.
Alright, thanks for the effort though.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-09, 03:48 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Alright, thanks for the effort though."
Is this in 2K3 or what? The title says any. I can whip up a blacksmithing thing in 2K3 real quick if you'd like, then you can use that as a basis for what you need in whatever other program you are using.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-10-10, 06:45 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "Is this in 2K3 or what? The title says..."
Draco2003 said: [Goto]
Is this in 2K3 or what? The title says any. I can whip up a blacksmithing thing in 2K3 real quick if you'd like, then you can use that as a basis for what you need in whatever other program you are using.
Yeah! Go right ahead man! I say any because i mean it, as long as i see it in another maker i could probably make it no problem. I'll just have to download 2k3. If you have VX and could make it there better, but if not. i'll just go ahead and download the 2k3. (thanks GLG for the website! :P)

Actually Forget it, I just got my blacksmithing system working! WOOT i'll post it up in a bit. I think its awesome! I made a common event that only starts up when Switch BLACKSMITHING LEARNED is on
then, its a parrallel process and it checks if switch Level 1B is on, if it isn't it waits till blacksmithing xp = 20 then it turns it on, and then on the next part it checks if xp = 40

Last edited by Wolfturn; 2008-10-10 at 07:18 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-10, 09:00 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Yeah! Go right ahead man! I say any..."
Yeah! Go right ahead man! I say any because i mean it, as long as i see it in another maker i could probably make it no problem. I'll just have to download 2k3. If you have VX and could make it there better, but if not. i'll just go ahead and download the 2k3. (thanks GLG for the website! :P)

Actually Forget it, I just got my blacksmithing system working! WOOT i'll post it up in a bit. I think its awesome! I made a common event that only starts up when Switch BLACKSMITHING LEARNED is on
then, its a parrallel process and it checks if switch Level 1B is on, if it isn't it waits till blacksmithing xp = 20 then it turns it on, and then on the next part it checks if xp = 40

I think there is a better method of going about this.

In fact, there is. No reason to use a bunch of switches. All you need are two variables to pull off that easy system. I like a system that uses an algorithm to "dynamically" change the experience increase rate of the user.

I may have said that a little strange, but what I mean is.

Lvl 1 = 20xp | Lvl 2 = 44xp | Lvl 3 = 67xp

Something like that. Come up with an algorithm and apply it to the experience and the items the user will combine/increase strength of.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-10-11, 11:52 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I think there is a better method of..."
So...have a variable that changes as the smithing level changes and have a fork condition changing the XP given?

I like it. I'm going to have to implement this when I start a new game. Thanks, GLG.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Noob101

Posted 2008-10-11, 12:34 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I think there is a better method of..."
I think there is a better method of going about this.

In fact, there is. No reason to use a bunch of switches. All you need are two variables to pull off that easy system. I like a system that uses an algorithm to "dynamically" change the experience increase rate of the user.

I may have said that a little strange, but what I mean is.

Lvl 1 = 20xp | Lvl 2 = 44xp | Lvl 3 = 67xp

Something like that. Come up with an algorithm and apply it to the experience and the items the user will combine/increase strength of.
Well what was the algorithm for the one showed? I like the way that came out.

Can you explain a little more, because i only made the blacksmithing go up to level 20, because it required so many switches. (took 20 for 20 :P)

I made something like this,

Conditional Branch if Switch1 is on
----------------------Check if XP - 40
-------------------Yes
-----------------------Blacksmithing LVL +1
-----------------------Reset XP == 0
--------------------No
Conditional Branch if switch 2 is on.

Something like that ( i know i messed up there, i'm kinda in a hurry )

Basicly, it checks if switch 1 is on, (which is activated by the first trainer that gives you level 1) if it is, it waits until your xp is 20 or higher, when it is it gives you the level up message and brings your level up, and then resets the xp and puts a switch on thats ganna start the next conditional branch. That conditional checks until the XP = 40 and then the next is 60 and so on. thats how the xp grows :P (it took me A LOOOOONG time to make this system :P my lil bro thought of it, maybe thats why its so suckish :P it has a lot of glitches)

I like your system because that way you can't farm really low level items, because the xp will become lower.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-11, 04:19 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Well what was the algorithm for the one..."
Well what was the algorithm for the one showed? I like the way that came out.

Can you explain a little more, because i only made the blacksmithing go up to level 20, because it required so many switches. (took 20 for 20 :P)

I made something like this,

Conditional Branch if Switch1 is on
----------------------Check if XP - 40
-------------------Yes
-----------------------Blacksmithing LVL +1
-----------------------Reset XP == 0
--------------------No
Conditional Branch if switch 2 is on.

Something like that ( i know i messed up there, i'm kinda in a hurry )

Basicly, it checks if switch 1 is on, (which is activated by the first trainer that gives you level 1) if it is, it waits until your xp is 20 or higher, when it is it gives you the level up message and brings your level up, and then resets the xp and puts a switch on thats ganna start the next conditional branch. That conditional checks until the XP = 40 and then the next is 60 and so on. thats how the xp grows :P (it took me A LOOOOONG time to make this system :P my lil bro thought of it, maybe thats why its so suckish :P it has a lot of glitches)

I like your system because that way you can't farm really low level items, because the xp will become lower.

BA! I'm going to release a small tutorial today explaining how to use RPG Maker to create classes and functions. I came up with this yesterday and am now more intelligent than ever. What I came up with is just plain genius.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-10-12, 12:23 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "BA! I'm going to release a small..."
BA! I'm going to release a small tutorial today explaining how to use RPG Maker to create classes and functions. I came up with this yesterday and am now more intelligent than ever. What I came up with is just plain genius.
Sweeet! Hurry up and release it! i can't wait to see it... WOOT (i get exited thinking about it :P)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-12, 03:34 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Sweeet! Hurry up and release it! i..."
Sweeet! Hurry up and release it! i can't wait to see it... WOOT (i get exited thinking about it :P)

I was writing it yesterday then I got distracted by Perfect World, I'll hurry up and finish it.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-10-12, 06:29 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I was writing it yesterday then I got..."
I was writing it yesterday then I got distracted by Perfect World, I'll hurry up and finish it.
Thanks lol, i could use any help i can get with RPG maker VX. I saw a game demo, and that inspired me a lot. (not saying which it is) Btw, speaking of demo's when does your rpt adventure come out in beta testing? (i'm signed up as a tester)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2008-10-12, 08:42 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Thanks :) lol, i could use any help i..."
Thanks lol, i could use any help i can get with RPG maker VX. I saw a game demo, and that inspired me a lot. (not saying which it is) Btw, speaking of demo's when does your rpt adventure come out in beta testing? (i'm signed up as a tester)

Well, we're about 92% done with the game, and my brother and I just suddenly stopped when school started for me.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy