Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Suggest How to Fix Rep
Posted 2008-03-18, 04:38 PM
Currently, reputation isn't representing what it should be. When I see someone's rep, I want to be able to determine what quality poster they are. Do they do nothing but mindlessly spam? Do they welcome new members and help people who need help? Are they generally nice and polite to people, or are they a dick?

If reputation were somehow changed to accurately do that for me, I would no longer think it is useless, EVEN if there is no reward for having higher rep.

So, the point of this thread is to offer up suggestions to tweak the system to where it is no longer in the pointless state it is currently in, so that we can use it as a tool to actually rate a poster.

Here are my suggestions:

Make All Rep Public - Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like this is possible, but if it were, I think it would be a good start.

Show Rep Statistics Publicly - At the very least, we should figure out a way to show some sort of "statistics" publicly regarding everyones rep. For instance, I think we should be able to see something like this:

!King_Amazon!'s Statistics said:
These values are not real, just made up for sake of explaination.

People who have recieved rep from !King_Amazon!:

Mjordan - 24 Rep, 20 positive 4 negative
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе - 18 Rep, 12 positive 6 negative
D3v - 43 Rep, 4 positive 39 negative
Thanatos - 12 Rep, 10 positive 2 negative

Total Rep Given=97, 47% positive, 53% negative

People who have given !King_Amazon! rep:

Mjordan - 19 Rep, 17 positive 2 negative
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе - 15 Rep, 10 positive 5 negative
D3v - 57 Rep, 3 positive 54 negative
Thanatos - 10 Rep, 7 positive 3 negative

Total Rep Recieved=101, 37% positive, 63% negative
While this would be similar to public rep, it isn't exactly the same thing. With this, we could see what exactly someone is up to. If we see that D3v has been positively repped 134 times by Afroman, and 95% of D3v's rep comes from Afroman, we might get a little suspicious and eliminate any data that could be skewing accurate representation of D3v's reputation.

However, this suggestion is likely impossible, since it would basically require the same thing as public rep.

Have Rep Be Moderated - Simple enough, and I'm sure it's possible. To keep bias from being a factor (for instance if someone negatively reps me and I don't agree with it) require a second moderator or an administrator to approve a rep deletion, if possible.

Require a Certain Number of Characters - I think this one is necessary, simply because if you're leaving someone rep but no feedback, you're not doing any good in helping them improve their posting. Require a certain number of characters similar to how posts are currently. This would also help moderators decide whether or not rep given is bullshit rep. I know I've personally received negative rep from people on a random post with no apparent reason for it, and no comment left.

I think that's all I've come up with so far. Feel free to comment on any of my ideas or suggest your own. Let's attempt to fix this system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-03-18, 09:41 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Suggest How to Fix Rep"
Agreed I think making it moderatable, like pm a mod or other qualified individual, or post in talk to the staff to have it looked at if someones rep is being abused. Or maybe require a comment with so many characters to justify the rep, which then could be looked at if it is contested.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-03-18, 11:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Suggest How to Fix Rep"
Automatic reciprocle rep from the person you're repping, *10%. Lots of negative rep to others equals negative rep to you. Lots of rep to active people equals positive rep to you. Since it's like getting 10% of a rep from your target, though, positive repping inactive people won't do shit for your rep.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-19, 03:37 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Automatic reciprocle rep from the..."
I vote for the whole public rep thing..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-03-19, 05:38 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I vote for the whole public rep thing.."
I've always supported public rep, as well as a chart with everyone's else rep, all of the suggestions won't help anything.

Edit

Also, if we are going to make changes to E-rep, and it does positively become moderated, E-rep becomes public and the system works more efficiently and effectively (I do feel there are problems with it) then the cap should be raised from what it is now (3 per 24 hours?) to possibly 7-9 per 24 hours, nothing too major, juts to where you could e-rep a few people during the timeframe of the day.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2008-03-19 at 06:12 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-19, 02:14 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Suggest How to Fix Rep"
I like public rep, and I like the reciprocation idea, but moderating it sounds too stringent for what it is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-03-19, 09:36 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I like public rep, and I like the..."
All those ideas sound great!! But what if someone does not want everyone else to know their rep stats. Could we make it like the hide-able post count?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-20, 07:43 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Suggest How to Fix Rep"
KA said:
Currently, reputation isn't representing what it should be
I really don't see the big problem here. Why do you feel this way? Because D3V probably has the highest rep out there? For the most part, I think it IS doing the job it's supposed to. Take for instance the members with three green bars: Me, D3V, KA, MJ, Lenny (I think that's it), all of these members have showed a mature, positive side to them in recent months, we're all fairly active and seem to make worthwhile posts/threads (NOT spam).

Although I do feel as if it's serving its purpose, I would like to see rep made public but it looks as if that can't/won't happen for a while. For the time being, I'm okay with it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-22, 12:40 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I really don't see the big problem..."
Where do rep statistics show up? Like how do we find out who repped us? Gah, I'm still a newb at heart.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2008-03-22, 01:13 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post starting "Where do rep statistics show up? Like..."
UserCP. Look near the bottom to see who repped you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-22, 06:19 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "UserCP. Look near the bottom to see who..."
D3V repped me saying that it was for being a noob with the rep system and that I would find it eventually. I did
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin