Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

SanDisk USB storage device
Posted 2005-12-23, 01:16 PM
I have a SanDisk 256mb storage device and recently it stopped working after trying to transfer some files over to it. When I connect it to my PC, it detects it but when I try to open it it says "please insert USB mass storage device into Drive: S" and under device manager it labels it as "unreadable" and that it has a volume of 0mb.

Is there any way to reformat it so it works?
"why I've gotta be one of the cool kids just to walk by/
- without being tripped, thrown down on the ground and kicked/
Insulting me for no reason, I was treated like shit/
The teachers let it happen/
I've even seen some of them teachers laughing/
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2005-12-23, 05:06 PM in reply to Original Sin's post "SanDisk USB storage device"
I dont think so manI'm pretty sure it's dead

But Im not the USB storage expert or anything.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-12-23, 05:39 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "I dont think so manI'm pretty sure it's..."
I'm going to add that when you right click it in my computer and go over a few tabs, it says that it is partitioned as MBR, which is the master boor record, so 'm thinking if I can find a program that allows you to install an OS onto a USB device(I heard of a linux one), than maybe I could partition it with that. I just think Windows has no clue how to deal with a MBR partition.
"why I've gotta be one of the cool kids just to walk by/
- without being tripped, thrown down on the ground and kicked/
Insulting me for no reason, I was treated like shit/
The teachers let it happen/
I've even seen some of them teachers laughing/
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2005-12-26, 03:20 PM in reply to Original Sin's post "SanDisk USB storage device"
Haha.

I had a flashdisk at work that had a lot of important stuff on it. One day, it just stopped working. When I inserted it into the computer, sometimes it would say unrecognizable device or nothing at all. I decided to take matters into my own hands, so I took it apart. I noticed one of the pieces of metal was making poor contact, so I held the metal pieces to the soldering contacts. I tried forever, and believe it or not, it actually came up once saying flash disk, so I tried desperately to hold still while I copied the 100 megs or so of data over. It stopped about ten seconds in, though, and I didn't try again(only cause I had backed the data up about a week earlier).

Then later I tried resoldering, and I guess since the contacts are small, I missed something. What the flash disk did then was that whenever it was plugged into a USB port, it insantly froze the computer, mouse & all. Then when it was taken out it unfroze the computer. I thought it'd be a neat trick to play on someone, but I ended up tossing the piece of junk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2005-12-27, 02:09 AM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "I'm going to add that when you right..."
Original Sin said:
I'm going to add that when you right click it in my computer and go over a few tabs, it says that it is partitioned as MBR, which is the master boor record, so 'm thinking if I can find a program that allows you to install an OS onto a USB device(I heard of a linux one), than maybe I could partition it with that. I just think Windows has no clue how to deal with a MBR partition.
Thats odd, my sandisk says it's FAT format, not MBR. can you at all right click on the drive and click format, then format the usb divice to a whatever format you want?

EDIT: you did try the device on other computers, right? cause it could just be your comp. if it's xp or higher maybe you didn't disengage it properly and/or set it in the wrong usb port than it's used to/installed for. maybe you should go call your manufacturer and see if they can help you better than we can.

Last edited by sciencekid; 2005-12-27 at 02:31 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sciencekid

Posted 2005-12-27, 05:52 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Haha. I had a flashdisk at work that..."
Practical jokes with USB pens. Ah, the fun.

At school we've recently had all the computers upgraded. So instead of 500 odd computers that take a day and a half to start up, we've got 500 odd computers that are really high spec, top of the range. And they've got two USB ports on the front of the towers.

If you get a lid of a USB pen with a little clip thing that you use to clip the pen to your pocket or whatever, and stick it in the USB port and fiddle around a bit then it restarts the computer. It's quite funny watching someone turn round to speak to someone whilst the person next to them fiddles with the USB port. Then the first person turns back round and their computer is restarting. We tried it on one of the teachers once, it really confused him.

----------

Anyway, yeah. I'm going with s-k here and saying you might of not disengage it properly. Usually it should keep on working, but sometimes it can be a real swine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-27, 11:05 AM in reply to Original Sin's post "SanDisk USB storage device"
Original Sin said:
I have a SanDisk 256mb storage device and recently it stopped working after trying to transfer some files over to it. When I connect it to my PC, it detects it but when I try to open it it says "please insert USB mass storage device into Drive: S" and under device manager it labels it as "unreadable" and that it has a volume of 0mb.

Is there any way to reformat it so it works?

Try Testdisk and see if it can find the partition. Used it at work to recover a bunch of backed-up ghost images on a 120GB USB drive, saved quite a bit of time and hassle. The only thing wrong with that disk was the partition table, all the data was fine. Still using that disk today.

Last edited by BlueCube; 2005-12-27 at 11:10 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2005-12-27, 02:15 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Try Testdisk..."
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

It worked, after analysing the disk, it allowed me to reformat it.

Thank you so much BlueCube!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Original Sin