Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Posted 2008-09-10, 07:23 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'm pretty excited myself. I still..."
I'd rather have 10 Billion spent in a 30 year science project, compared to a pointless war that has cost anywhere from 3-4 trillion dollars.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-10, 07:36 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'd rather have 10 Billion spent in a..."
I agree.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-10, 07:45 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I agree."
Well, here's a Rap Video about the LHC. LOL

BORKED

Kinda funny, actually. Very informative if you listen to it, LOL.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-10, 09:30 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I can't remember who it was, but some..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
I can't remember who it was, but some professor calculated how long it would take for a microscopic black hole to grow large enough to devour the earth, and it was something like 50 months, which creepily ended up meaning that if a microscopic black hole was created by the Large Hadron Collider when it goes live, the black hole would be large enough to devour the earth sometime in December 2012. Wish I could remember who it was.

Anyway, yeah, Hawking radiation would mean that the microscopic black hole would end up just dissipating, but Hawking radiation has never been experimentally demonstrated. As awesome as Stephen Hawking is, he's been wrong before, and he could be wrong about Hawking radiation.

Dr. Otto E. Rössler. Refer to my earlier post: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread....798#post640798
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-13, 05:06 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Dr. Otto E. Rössler. Refer to my..."
Interesting.

---

Indian girl commits suicide over 'Big Bang' fear
In India, fears about the experiment spread rapidly through the media
updated 12:03 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2008

BHOPAL, India - A teenage girl in central India killed herself on Wednesday after being traumatized by media reports that a "Big Bang" experiment in Europe could bring about the end of the world, her father said.

The 16-year old girl from the state of Madhya Pradesh drank pesticide and was rushed to the hospital but later died, police said.

Her father, identified on local television as Biharilal, said that his daughter, Chayya, killed herself after watching doomsday predictions made on Indian news programs.

"In the past two days, Chayya had asked me and other relatives about the world coming to an end on September 10," Biharilal was quoted as saying.

"We tried to divert her attention and told her she should not worry about such things, but to no avail," he said.

For the past two days, many Indian news channels held discussions airing doomsday predictions over a huge particle-smashing machine buried under the Swiss-French border.

The machine, called the Large Hadron Collider, was switched on on Wednesday, at the start of what experts say is the largest scientific experiment in human history.

The machine smashes particles together to achieve, on a small-scale, re-enactments of the "Big Bang" that created the universe.

Leading scientists and researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, said the experiment was safe. They dismissed as "pure fiction" doomsday predictions that the experiment could create anti-matter, or black holes.

But in deeply religious and superstitious India, fears about the experiment and the minor risks associated with it spread rapidly through the media.

In east India, thousands of people rushed to temples to pray and fast while others savored their favorite foods in anticipation of the world's end.

"There were a thousand more devotees yesterday as well as today compared to (any) other normal day," Benudhara Sahu, a temple official in Orissa state, told Reuters.

Many women and children rushed to temples and observed fasts as they prayed for deliverance, officials and witnesses said.

Assurances by scientists and the media that nothing would happen counted for nothing for housewife Rukmini Moharana.

"I visited temple, prayed to god," Moharana said. "I am observing the fast for safety because god can only save us."

---

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26641652
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-13, 05:20 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Interesting. --- Indian girl..."
Article said:
because god can only save us.
Isn't this experiment suppose to actually disprove "god". Kind of ironic. Killing yourself over the LHC is absurd, but I guess in places where religion is supreme you could easily assume that we are all going to die.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-24, 10:56 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Isn't this experiment suppose to..."
The end of the world has been postponed until Mars or April 2009. Too bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7632408.stm
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-24, 11:08 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The end of the world has been postponed..."
Lol, there goes the entire theory that this will cause the armeggon(sp) to arrive around December of 09.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-24, 11:10 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The end of the world has been postponed..."
Man, I'd be nervous if I lived close to that thing. I have a feeling this is going to be continually postponed for a long time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-09-24, 11:12 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The end of the world has been postponed..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
The end of the world has been postponed until Mars or April 2009. Too bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7632408.stm
I guess this means that Obama will win the election?...

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-03-19, 03:56 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I guess this means that Obama will win..."
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ts-own-record/

Quote:
The Large Hadron Collider set a new record for the creation of energetic particle beams this morning. The particle accelerator, which surpassed Fermilab’s Tevatron in December as the baddest atom smasher of them all, smashed its own record, charging particles to 3.48 trillion electron volts.
'Next up for the massive experiment is to collide those beams together to create a spectacular tiny explosion that could confirm or challenge decades of theoretical predictions. By sorting through the wreckage, physicists may find particular subatomic particles that will only exist under certain theoretical scenarios. For example, the detection of certain types of supersymmetric particles, aka sparticles, could be seen as what physicist Michio Kaku calls, “signals from the 11th dimension.'

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-03-20, 12:58 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/0..."
So what would you guys do if a Black Hole DID appear? I mean, would you......?
I'd probably just go bonkers. I'd also ride a bike.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-22, 08:33 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "So what would you guys do if a Black..."
Black holes are paradoxes to parallel universes.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-04-02, 09:28 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Black holes are paradoxes to parallel..."
i'd start throwing shit through the black hole if that were real,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

PureRebel

Posted 2010-04-02, 09:31 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Black holes are paradoxes to parallel..."
D3V said: [Goto]
Black holes are paradoxes to parallel universes.
What?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-04-03, 12:59 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Black holes are paradoxes to parallel..."
No, Black Holes are where people like Kagom put it in.
Quasars, on the other hand, have been around before they (the quasars) were around. Seriously. I watched a documentary, and that's what they said, in a nutshell. "Quasars existed before they could exist."
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-04-03, 04:41 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "No, Black Holes are where people like..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
No, Black Holes are where people like Kagom put it in.
Quasars, on the other hand, have been around before they (the quasars) were around. Seriously. I watched a documentary, and that's what they said, in a nutshell. "Quasars existed before they could exist."
Are you sure this was about quasars? I would be very interested in the name of this documentary.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-04-03, 01:31 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Are you sure this was about quasars? I..."
It was about quasars and nebulas and just space overall.
I think it was called "The Universe" or something, I saw it a while back in a science class... why do I always forget the important part.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-06-03, 10:06 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "It was about quasars and nebulas and..."
Date/Event

10 Sep 2008 CERN successfully fired the first protons around the entire tunnel circuit in stages.

19 Sep 2008 Magnetic quench occurred in about 100 bending magnets in sectors 3 and 4, causing a loss of approximately 6 tonnes of liquid helium.

30 Sep 2008 First "modest" high-energy collisions planned but postponed due to accident.

16 Oct 2008 CERN released a preliminary analysis of the incident.

21 Oct 2008 Official inauguration.

5 Dec 2008 CERN released detailed analysis.

20 Nov 2009 Low-energy beams circulated in the tunnel for the first time since the incident.

23 Nov 2009 First particle collisions in all four detectors at 450 GeV.

30 Nov 2009 LHC becomes the world's highest-energy particle accelerator achieving 1.18 TeV per beam, beating the Tevatron's previous record of 0.98 TeV per beam held for eight years.

28 Feb 2010 The LHC continues operations ramping energies to run at 3.5 TeV for 18 months to two years, after which it will be shut down to prepare for the 14 TeV collisions (7 TeV per beam).

30 Mar 2010 The two beams collided at 7 TeV in the LHC at 13:06 CEST, marking the start of the LHC research programme.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-08-24, 03:40 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Date/Event 10 Sep 2008 CERN..."
http://lhc-commissioning.web.cern.ch...y-meetings.htm

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V