Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Bear Grylls the Fake
Posted 2007-08-16, 02:02 PM
http://tinyurl.com/yroxoq

Go there and look at the bear costume, etc. =P. This was exposed weeks ago (hence it not being on Discovery Channel right now). I, for one, doubt I'll ever watch the show again. I'd rather watch Survivorman since that is more believable. I was wondering why Bear -always- found food no matter where he went x_X when Les Stroud has a lower success rate.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-16, 02:33 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Bear Grylls the Fake"
That's sad. It was a fun show but I probably won't watch it anymore either considering the hotel stuff and this.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-08-16, 02:33 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Bear Grylls the Fake"
That whole story is fake.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-16, 03:06 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "That's sad. It was a fun show but I..."
What hotel stuff?

Is this a credible source? If so, I'm ashamed of calling this dude a badass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-16, 03:08 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "What hotel stuff? Is this a credible..."
Yeah same here, but I think most of these stories are complete bullshit and that he really is doing a honest show. For christ's sake, the guy drank his own pis on Camera, you think he'd want to sleep in a hotel? NO he's a fucking psychopath he doesn't need shit like that, a crazy ass like himself probably loves roughing it out in the wild.

And another thing, I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather watch Man Vs Wild than gay ass survivorman, honestly they don't even compare.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-16, 03:09 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah same here, but I think most of..."
It's not a fake. Discovery even pulled the show until September so they can put in a disclaimer "some events dramatized" or whatever.

Check out the wikipedia page on man vs. wild. They even have stories linked to NYtimes etc. about it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-16, 03:10 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "It's not a fake. Discovery even pulled..."
This sounds like the 9/11 conspiracy.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-16, 03:17 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "This sounds like the 9/11 conspiracy."
Fuck this, I'm calling the cops.

and giving them kaos' address
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-16, 03:17 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Fuck this, I'm calling the cops."
Yeah shit yeh they'll buy that... yeah shit yeah.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-16, 09:29 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah shit yeh they'll buy that... yeah..."
You know, that website seems borderline tabloid. Just look at all of their headlines.

EDIT: "The Daily Mail is a British newspaper and the oldest tabloid, first published in 1896." according to wikipedia.

I call fake.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-16, 10:25 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Bear Grylls the Fake"
I read this somewhere else too. I like Survivorman better anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2007-08-16, 10:46 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You know, that website seems borderline..."
!King_Amazon! said:
You know, that website seems borderline tabloid. Just look at all of their headlines.

EDIT: "The Daily Mail is a British newspaper and the oldest tabloid, first published in 1896." according to wikipedia.

I call fake.
This isn't the only website d00d.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Vs._Wild

Wikipedia said:
Grylls has stated numerous times on camera that he is not to receive any assistance unless his life is in danger. However, in July 2007 it was reported in the mainstream media that at least portions of some episodes were staged and that Bear did not always survive without help. One of the more serious allegations is that while Grylls claimed to be sleeping outdoors, he was allegedly sleeping in hotels (although on Jimmy Kimmel Live, before the accusations came out, Bear stated that only the cameramen were flown out at night). The Discovery Channel said that future airings would be edited to reflect such things [4], [5], [6], [7].

Other reported instances of outside influence or staged situations include the following:

Grylls admitted wearing a flotation device in the pilot episode to ride down a river in a staged shot, citing safety reasons. He claimed that he was displeased with the decision, which came from Discovery producers, and has since been able to avoid the use of such devices.[8]
The director of the Desert Island episode, Graham Strong, noted that a diver was at hand who checked for sharks while Bear was adrift (he didn't spot the tigers, only reef sharks), and that "we" beat on the raft to scare the tiger sharks away. Also, in the Copper Canyon, Mexico episode, director Scott Tankard says that the local indian tribe, the Rarámuri indians, acted as their guides.[9].
According to the survival consultant for the show's Sierra Nevada and Desert Island episodes, Mark Wienart of Lifesong Adventures, the "wild" horses in the Sierra Nevada episode were shipped in for a choreographed feature. [10][11]
The Desert Island raft wasn't made by Bear; it was made by a team of people over a week and a half, using rope, and was dissembled for Bear to put together on camera.[12][13]
Crew members simulated molten lava by using smoke machines and hot coals. The smoke machines were used to simulate poisonous sulphur dioxide, though Grylls was not in fact facing real danger. [14]
Grylls gives the impression of being lost when he is only a few yards from tourist locations and areas of relatively heavy traffic. [15]
Hiring a man in a bear suit because they couldn't get a tame bear, running the show with a "script" (with scheduled scenes such as "Scene 10 - Grizzly Attacks Camp"), pretending that a snake found dead on the side of a road was alive, eating steak inside a badger skin, and hoisting Bear into a tree to make it look like his parachute "snagged" [16]
According to a C4 executive, "“If what has been alleged is proven to be true, I think the channel would have to think very seriously about its future relationship with him.”[17]
Another nice tidbit from wikipedia.

Quote:
Inaccurate survival advice
The show has also garnered its share of criticism concerning the quality of its survival advice. Even the show's first survival consultant, Tom Hood, posted on his website, "I think Discovery did the viewing public a serious disservice by excluding the educational narration and concentrating on travel. Someone WILL attempt river travel as shown and there will be problems. Others will run from camp because they hear noises... Someone will attempt a rappel with paracord. People are like that. Discovery holds a huge credibility advantage and that alone will act as an endorsement of the actions seen in the show. Keep in mind that a LOT of people saw the show and a few of them are ignorant enough to attempt what they saw. Disclaimers aside, the presentation looks feasible. The fact that some folks overlooked the errors just proves the point."[18]

Among the more commonly cited inaccurate advice:

Drinking urine: Urine is saline and a dessicant, like seawater. It dries you out instead of hydrating. Drinking urine for survival is advised against by the US Army Field Manual[1], the head of the Texas Urological Society[2], and numerous survival instructors and guides.[3][4][5][6][7][8]
Bad bear advice: Bears do not "toy" with you, nor should you run from a bear, nor are the majority of bear charges actual attacks.[9][10][11]
Taking risks: The typical instinct for a person who is lost is to try and rush off in hopes of finding civilization; this is the worst possible reaction. Unless you know which way to go, you make your situation worse; survival is not a race. Likewise, being lost isn't what kills you; it's doing risks (unnecessary rock climbing, etc) that risks your life. The standard advice is that if you don't know which way to go, meet your survival needs and try to signal for rescue.[12][13][14][15]
Getting wet: In nearly every episode, Bear beelines for the coldest, most dangerous source of water in the area and gets soaked in it, often in an attempt to get downstream. This is a surefire way to put yourself at risk for hypothermia, assuming it doesn't kill you by other causes.
Using parachute cord to bear weight: Bear frequently relies on parachute cord, which the average traveller wouldn't have, to bear his weight -- for example, in a questionable fall-arresting maneuver in the alps or to abseil in the rockies. Parachute cord is weak (with a breaking strength between 100 and 750 pounds) and not abrasion-resistant. By comparison, rock climbing ropes generally have a minimum breaking strength of 4,500 pounds. A rope not only has to bear your weight, but the weight of any jerks and sudden stops.[16][17]
Improper firestarting: In most episodes, Bear uses a firesteel (improperly referred to as a flint), which is a popular and relatively easy way to start a fire -- assuming that you have one. When he tries the more typical methods for making fire when stranded, he generally does them incorrectly, lacking notches in fireboards, handling coals directly, holding bows with incorrect posture and a backwards wrap on the string, and so forth.[18][19][20][21]
Drinking from dung: Bear passes up stagnant water because of a crumbling tortoise shell, and instead drinks directly from elephant dung. Most waterborne diseases are spread through the fecal-oral route, such as giardiasis, hepatitis A, hepatitis E, bacterial dysentery, typhoid fever, vibrio parahaemolyticus infections, and polio. Drinking from dung is drinking a bacterial concentrate. Elephant dung is known to contain E. coli, salmonela, clostridium, and pseudomonas.[22] On Conan O'Brian, Bear goes so far as to call the dung "sterile".[23]
Look at wiki's sources if you don't believe it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-17, 03:38 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Bear Grylls the Fake"
On ebaumsworld, there was a large talk about who was better. Bear or Les.

I laugh now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-08-17, 07:51 AM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "I read this somewhere else too. I like..."
Dar_Win said:
I read this somewhere else too. I like Survivorman better anyway.
Survivorman is much less entertaining, seriously. Bear Grylls is much more of an entertainer, and if that's what it comes down to, I don't care that it's fake, it's still more entertaining then half of the shit on tv nowadays.

And Will: wikipedia has been under discrepency for the past 2 years because of all the fake newsbits people have been posting in there without verificiation from any actual publishers. For all we know, anything you ever read on that website now-a-days could be fraudulent.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-17, 08:27 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Survivorman is much less entertaining,..."
Yeah, Wikipedia really isn't the most trustworthy source, and neither is Daily Mail.

Even if it's fake, he's still a lot more entertaining than Les, like D3v said. I like both shows, but Man Vs Wild is more entertaining.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-18, 09:56 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Yeah, Wikipedia really isn't the most..."
I've seen it reported on quite a few news sites and Man vs. Wild has been pulled from the air to aid disclaimers etc. Oh well nigzilla, believe what you must. Man vs. Wild is more sensationalist and should be shown as entertainment since a lot of survival advice he gives is utter shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-19, 02:03 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I've seen it reported on quite a few..."
Not necessairily, most of the advice he gives is legit, or seems legit.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-19, 08:55 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Not necessairily, most of the advice he..."
Yeah, I drink my own piss all the time. It's called surviving!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-19, 11:46 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Not necessairily, most of the advice he..."
D3V said:
or seems legit.
Seems, yes. But I'm pretty sure not all of it is good =p.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-19, 02:50 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Seems, yes. But I'm pretty sure not..."
Incase any of you haven't noticed yet, Reality TV doesn't exist anymore, unless you watch the News, and even that is altered most of the time..

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V