Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Cry Defence!!!
Posted 2005-11-04, 08:28 AM
http://h2wiki.halowiki.net/wiki/Defence

this is a artical on defence.. take a look
Out in this cold hearted world is a warm sense that comes from only one. It is true cause his name states what kind of person he is. With honor comes glory and with glory comes GLORY GAMER
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
glory_gamer is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenglory_gamer is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

glory_gamer

Posted 2005-11-04, 09:31 AM in reply to glory_gamer's post "Defence!!!"
Someone c/p. Don't forget, I have fucking filters at my work!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2005-11-04, 11:42 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Someone c/p. Don't forget, I have..."
my bad here ,.....

Defending your base in Assault and CTF games is incredibly important, if successful you cannot lose. A successful defence will prevent the other team scoring the flag or planting the bomb. It doesn't matter if the flag is mere centimetres from the scoring point as long as the other team hasn't scored your defence has done their job.

--Chiggs

[edit]A Strong Defence
A strong defence will vary from map to map and from gametype to gametype. The way you defend your flag in CTF Classic games should be different to the way you defend your flag in a 1 Flag CTF on Zanzibar. However all defences will have elements which will always make a defence strong. --Chiggs

[edit]Getting Rid of a Nuisance
A nuisance is an attacking player who will do or is doing a lot of damage to your defence but isn't actually in the base. This is usually an enemy sniper. You should try to anticipate where the nuisance is going to be and let one player deal with him. For example on Ivory Tower you should try to kill the sniper before he has a chance to snipe your team's rocket guy.

This form of defending can be risky though. It is often better to stay out of sight of the nuisance and to concentrate on the following four elements of a defence setup especially if the attacking team is already penetrating your base.

--Chiggs

Getting Rid of a Nuisance (http://files.filefront.com/Getting_R.../fileinfo.html)

Your midfield teammates can be called into play when attempting to take out a nuisance, just communicate the position of that annoying sniper to your teammates who are defending slightly further out or who are slaying in midfield and chances are they will be able to harass or kill the nuisance, at the very least giving you enough time to grab some previously covered power weapons. -- LegendaryMark 07:51, 29 Oct 2005 (EDT)

[edit]Cutting off Avenues of Attack
Killing opponents before they have a chance to reach the base relieves pressure for team mates inside. Knowledge of the most popular paths is useful as you know which paths to cut off. Certain Weapons are more effective at this form of defence. A good sniper can pick opponents off at a distance and can in fact cut off a whole side of a map (for example on Zanzibar). The battle rifle is another weapon which can kill people at mid distance which makes it handy to to cut off one or more paths (for example on Midship where a player can position himself above the pink room with the BR). Short range weapons like the Shotgun can also be used to close off more confined areas of the map (for example the invisibility tower on Zanzibar). Turrets as well can also kill people effectively before they reach the base but watch out for the attacking team's sniper or rockets.

Cutting off avenues of attack usually involves controlling the midfield on small maps such as Midship and Beaver Creek. On these maps this form of defence is vital as the bases are small and can be easily penetrated. On large maps it is also important to cut off paths of attack but as there are more paths it is usually impossible to cut the majority of them off.

--Chiggs

Cutting off Avenues of Attack (http://files.filefront.com/Cutting_o.../fileinfo.html)

[edit]Closing off Points of Entry
This form of defence applies to killing opponents at the points of entry (POE) to your base. The most effective way to do this is to just camp at a specific POE in the base with a good short range weapon or dual wielding combo.

This way of defending doesn't depend on the size of the map but more so on the shape of your base. If your base has multiple POEs then pick the most popular one to defend. This way you can stop players from getting near the objective point. You can kill the bomb carrier this way before he gets inside and you also kill the enemy flag carrier who decides to take it out through your POE.

--Chiggs

Closing off Points of Entry (http://files.filefront.com/Closing_o.../fileinfo.html)

Think creatively when trying to close off points of entry. At the back of your Waterworks base, a Wraith can easily block up the doorway by moving heavy boxes (that ordinary players wouldn't be able to move) in front of the entrance. Voila! One less access point to worry about. -- LegendaryMark 07:53, 29 Oct 2005 (EDT)

But also keep in mind that that is not your only POE. Mainly cover the most popular one, but guard the other ones to. Also,on Turf, the tunnel on the street, hitting the fire covers up close to it makes it a great fort. --Skimp122 1:53 11/1/05

[edit]Clearing the Base
In larger bases and maps the attacking team will be able to penetrate the POEs and you'll need someone or some people to kill the players before they have a chance to reach the objective. The Sword is a very good choice for this sort of defence although any weapon is good as long as it can help you kill the enemy before he gets to the objective. --Chiggs

Clearing the Base (http://files.filefront.com/Clearing_.../fileinfo.html)

But it is a good idea to get to the highest point facing the enemy base with a sniper. That keeps them a further distance away and keeps THEM from killing YOU. --Skimp122 3:25 11/1/05

[edit]Protecting the Objective
This is the last form of defence. Defenders here have to kill opponents just before, at or just after they reach the objective point. At this point you have to prevent the enemy from planting the bomb or taking the flag away from the base. The most effective weapon of choice here are the rockets. If there are rockets on the map then you want your team to have control of them because if they get in the hands of your enemy your defence can be easily crumbled. So go for the rockets from the get go and make sure whoever gets them doesn't leave the base. He should just stay in one spot in the base where he can have a clear shot at the objective. Any other power weapon is good at this form of defence but rockets have the advantage of taking out multiple opponents quickly. --Chiggs

Protecting the Objective (http://files.filefront.com/Protectin.../fileinfo.html)

As will a sword,sniper,dual SMG (which I know sounds crazy but once i was playing my friends and I lived for a good half hour with them),and a battle rifle. Also,on a side note (and most of you who have the multiplayer map pack will know this already), when using dual plasma rifles,DON'T fire both at once because once they overheat,you're dead.Instead fire ONE until it overheats and then start shooting the other and so on. --Skimp122 2:05 11/1/05

[edit]Striking a Balance
The perfect set up will have a balance of the five elements of a defensive setup mentioned above. This doesn't neccessarily mean that you should have one player to cut off an avenue of attack, one player to close off a POE, another to keep the base clear and another to protect the objective. There is no one way to set up your defence so its strong. If the attacking team is forcing you back you may all have to try to clear the base or protect the objective. The best thing to do if your unsure is to pick something to do or cover that your team mates aren't covering. --Chiggs

[edit]Desperate Times call for Desperate Measures
When a team is about to plant the bomb or score the flag your defensive set up is crucial. In Assault games you should pull all players back to protect the objective. If you last the attack then two players should try to shut off a POE each whilst one person watches the objective (hopefully with a power weapon) and the other also provides help to kill anyone who enters the base before they get to the objective point. When your flag is outside your base it is important to get rid of a nuisance and also to cut off avenues of attack. The role of POE shutter, base clearer and objective protector should merge into flag carer. The flag carrier(s) should stay near the flag and prevent anyone from touching the flag. If it is touched they should immediately kill the person carrying it. --Chiggs

Even if it means betraying teammates, stop the objective carrier at all costs. For instance, if you have the Rocket Launcher looking at the arm point, they start arming the bomb and a couple of your teammates are just flailing around next to the bomb guy, do not hesitate to shoot anyway. Teammates will respawn, but the bomb cannot be defused -- LegendaryMark

In reference to Desperate measures, Mark's comment whilst valid could lead to problems if the person who betrays the other team mate is killed just after as the betrayer has a longer respawn time; so on a bigger map this could lead to the opposition actually scoring.

--Ace 11:07, 29 Oct 2005 (EDT)

Yes, its a tough choice to call, but its desperate times. A strong player can afford to wipe out part of the own defense to get rid of a clear threat. I get grenaded by Kai now and then when we are both defending. Its part of the game. But as Ace says, there is a down side to it. If you do die, think of where you spawn. In Zanzibar, if you start spawning outside the Power House, you are in trouble. That means the Offense is in the base. Desperate times! But that is still better than if they took the flag and you start spawning INSIDE the base. That means they're on their way back. If so, go for vehicles or any weapon with range capabilities. Everyone has to go for the flag guy first and foremost as well as the Nuisance. --WacoTaqo 11:51, 29 Oct 2005 (EDT)

[edit]Communication
A key to a defence's success is not only its weapons or setup but its communication. Tell your team mates where you are and what you're covering. This way if you die then your team mates will know where they are being attacked from. If your cutting off avenues of attack and your unable to kill someone before they enter the base tell your team mates where they entered the base. The same applies if your job is to clear the base. Tell your team mates where the enemy is in the base and what weapons they have this way you can team up with an ally to kill the enemy. The main point of communication is to let the guy(s) protecting the objective know if they need to be called into action as it isn't always easy to time those rockets or sword lunges right. --Chiggs

Yes, that's right. Tell your team mates where you spot an enemy approach BEFORE you engage. If you engage and die, you can't say anything till you spawned, and loose valuable seconds of response. Watch your teammates red-X. It will indicate where offensives are coming from. --WacoTaqo 11:51, 29 Oct 2005 (EDT)

Also, as in other games, communicate WHICH power weapons you have. "Mark has Rockets" or "Waco Lost Rockets" for example. Pez and I played a CTF on Zanzibar when we were pretty new. Offense had Rockets and got the flag out of the left front door. Pez and 2 others rushed after through the door. Just outside the door, the flag holder called out "Ok, shoot me with rockets NOW". A teammate took down the flagholder and the defenders in one shot. I couldn't take on the 3 survivors and they scored pretty soon after that. Don't stick too close, if you don't have rockets. --WacoTaqo 11:51, 29 Oct 2005 (EDT)

[edit]Summary
Remember a defence has done its job as long as the attacking team doesn't score. But getting the job done isn't as easy as it sounds half the time. Defence isn't simply keeping one player back in the base. Your team needs a decent defensive set up and needs good communication to succeed. If you get it right you cannot lose a CTF or Assault game. --Chiggs
Out in this cold hearted world is a warm sense that comes from only one. It is true cause his name states what kind of person he is. With honor comes glory and with glory comes GLORY GAMER
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
glory_gamer is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenglory_gamer is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

glory_gamer

Posted 2005-11-04, 12:02 PM in reply to glory_gamer's post starting "my bad here ,..... Defending your..."
Common sense really. Decent read, but not really worth it.. Communication, and making sure everyone covers different aspects of the board, as well as covering each others back is the key.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2005-11-04, 12:04 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Common sense really. Decent read, but..."
I kill people so they don't get mad touchdowns.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2005-11-04, 12:47 PM in reply to sue_13's post starting "I kill people so they don't get mad..."
I ain't got a team, but I got a tank.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2005-11-04, 01:50 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I ain't got a team, but I got a tank."
haha we rock
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-11-04, 10:07 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "haha we rock"
Sometimes I have a team though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2005-11-05, 12:56 AM in reply to sue_13's post starting "Sometimes I have a team though."
I'd rather a team than a tank. Sometimes we have both tanks but still can't win

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-11-10, 08:27 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "I'd rather a team than a tank...."
yea i like tanks (KENPO) they are great meatshield!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

glory_gamer