Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Aliens
Posted 2010-03-22, 10:31 PM
Does life exist outside of our planet? If so, why haven't we heard from them yet?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-23, 06:33 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Aliens"
Yes. We have yet to hear from them because we already have enough shit to deal with from ourselves. They see that, and let us be.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-23, 08:49 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Aliens"
I think it's hard to say no given the fact there may be an infinite number of universes and galaxies in 'existence'. Why haven't they contacted us if they exist? Some say that they have, I honestly am unsure about the alien conspiracies, but would you sit down and talk to a cockroach? I'd assume their intelligence is so exponentially superior to ours that they look at us the way that we look at insects.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-03-23, 07:21 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Aliens"
Uni=one
Oneverse.

Bi=two

Biverse.

Omni = all

Omniverse = D3V's "Universe".
D3V said: [Goto]
insects.
Reptiles (Dinosaurs) once ruled the earth.
Now, we, humans... Mammals. We rule.
my history teacher believes Insects/bugs are next in line.
Buzz Buzz!
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-23, 09:55 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I think it's hard to say no given the..."
I should clarify. I don't particularly mean actual visits to the planet, although I am curious why we have never been (conclusively) visited. I meant more in the sense of, why is space so eerily quiet? We have been listening for a while, but have not picked up on anything we can conclusively demonstrate as a sign of intelligence. Even if we are like cockroaches to them, if they use the electromagnetic spectrum to communicate over long distances (which I can't seem to find a way around), why haven't we detected it?

And if you encountered an insect on another planet, would you not study it? Would someone, at least, not study it? Even on our own planet, many do study terrestrial insects -- rather mundane in comparison to extraterrestrial insects. Furthermore, D3V, I think the insect analogy falls apart as we do not believe insects are sentient. Surely we would have far greater respect for sentient beings, even if they are technologically, or intellectually far inferior.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-24, 12:13 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I should clarify. I don't particularly..."
I think you underestimate the vastness of the known universe my good man
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2010-03-24, 12:36 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I think you underestimate the vastness..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
I think you underestimate the vastness of the known universe my good man

I am willing to accept that intelligence exists outside our range of communication. But within 15 light years from home, there are 63 stars. When you increase that number to 50, there are over 1000 stars -- we have broadcast our radio and television signals to over 1000 star-systems. And when you increase that number to 80 there are over 3500 stars.

We have found exoplanets which we think may lie within the habitable region of their star systems within 25 light years from home. Keep in mind, that our current methods can not detect planets unless they are at least 5 times larger than Earth. Also, keep in mind that relative to its lifespan, life arose on Earth quite quickly. This suggests that the formation of life is not as improbable of an event as some would make it seem.

Now, in our relatively primitive state of technology (we have only had the capability of near-home space travel of 60-70 years!), we have already sent out message aimed at systems 25,000 light-years from Earth.

The numbers suggest to me that intelligence should have risen within a range that we can communicate, perhaps on numerous occasions. This is not taking into account intelligence that may have risen beyond that range. Taking this into account, my question still stands: where are they?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-24, 06:06 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I should clarify. I don't particularly..."
They could have a communication system based on entanglement. They could have wormholes to a central comms hub.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2010-03-24, 07:01 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "They could have a communication system..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
They could have a communication system based on entanglement. They could have wormholes to a central comms hub.

My rummaging on arXiv hasn't yielded any feasible approaches for FTL communication based on quantum entanglement so far, since a classical (information) channel (limited by c) has been required for all of them. If an alien civilization has access to wormhole technology, it would (if I recall correctly) require considerably less energy per bit of sent information to use microwaves than to use entangled particles.

Thus, unless the alien civilization goes out of its way to remain invisible in the EM spectrum, or perhaps unless it needs to transmit information through a planet, it will probably be more likely to use microwave communication that we can detect. Unless they've limited themselves to masers...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Knight Sir Rick enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzKnight Sir Rick enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Knight Sir Rick

Posted 2010-03-24, 08:00 AM in reply to Knight Sir Rick's post starting "My rummaging on arXiv hasn't yielded..."
After further contemplation, I'm inclined to think that it may take less than 200 years for a technological civilization to go from the advancement of electromagnetic communication to the advent of strong AI. Even if it takes 1000 years, it's still an insignificantly short period of time compared to the almost one billion years it took for the first life to form on Earth.

Since a technological civilization will presumably want as much intelligence and computational capacity as possible (to find out one's purpose here, or perhaps to play god by simulating a universe that is as realistic as possible), it seems likely that it billow out like a cloud of nano-, pico- or femtoscale von Neumann machines in all directions at close to the speed of light. This will probably happen within a few minutes after the strong AI is started the first time, since it will recursively make itself more intelligent. Its purpose may likely be to convert the planets, stars and galaxies into intelligent matter. Ideally, every planck volume in the universe will somehow be arranged into a component of its universal computer. Perhaps it will even try to stop the expansion of the universe to invoke the Omega Point to attain the only true immortality and omnipotence there is.

In other words, why would the aliens want to talk to us when they can just breeze by us like a dark .999c wind on a rainy Sunday morning, retool our atoms into a computer and fulfil their own digital dreams instead?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Knight Sir Rick enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzKnight Sir Rick enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Knight Sir Rick

Posted 2010-03-24, 07:50 PM in reply to Knight Sir Rick's post starting "After further contemplation, I'm..."
Triple p0st!

Alternative text: Statistics suggest that there should be tons of alien encounter stories, and in practice there are tons of alien encounter stories. This is known as Fermi's Lack-of-a-Paradox.

Last edited by Knight Sir Rick; 2010-03-24 at 07:52 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Knight Sir Rick

Posted 2010-03-25, 07:34 AM in reply to Knight Sir Rick's post starting "My rummaging on arXiv hasn't yielded..."
My statements were two competing theories. If they used wormholes, the signal could be unidirectional and low power.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2010-03-25, 09:00 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "My statements were two competing..."
Do a bunch of wormholes, a bunch of times.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-25, 11:43 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I am willing to accept that..."
Demosthenes said: [Goto]
I am willing to accept that intelligence exists outside our range of communication

Taking this into account, my question still stands: where are they?
You've obviously done a bit more research on the topic than I have. I don't really follow SETI nor have I looked into any broadcasts we've sent, but let me continue to play the devil's advocate here... because it's fun

First thing that I can think of is, do you know at what frequencies these messages were broadcast? I know the Sun is of type... G2V I think? This likely affects what frequencies we find appropriate for communication. The sun's spectral type is also somewhat rare, I think something like only 1/13 stars in the galaxy are of the same type. How long was the duration of the broadcasts we sent? What if the message was simply missed?

Assuming this isn't a problem and communications have a 100% success rate, which is very unlikely, then did we match up time? Remember we live in four dimensions, not three. Considering the life of the universe, the human race has occurred in what some call 'the blink of an eye' and our civilized state of being able to send/receive electromagnetic communications is a much smaller window. Who's to say that the system we've sent messages to didn't have life or won't have life sometime in the future? If civilizations happen in the blink of an eye compared to the life of the universe, what are the odds that two civilizations so close to one another will both be capable and watching the sky trying to engage in communications at the same time?

Lastly, what stars are you referring to? Obviously I'm not asking for a complete list, but a star's lifetime is inversely proportional to its mass at formation (Look up an H-R diagram if you're not familiar). So I would wager (this is a complete assumption on my part) that a good majority of the stars we've broadcast to are massive stars, and therefore have short lifetimes. It's been suggested that evolution of life in these star systems would not occur since there is not enough time. I think some of the most massive stars have lifetimes less than 1 million years? If you look it up correct me if I'm wrong as its been a while. I may be off by an order of magnitude, but either way they have lifetimes that are very short as far as stellar lifetimes are concerned. Assuming that some of these stars are capable of supporting life, what is the distance? Again, we find ourselves limited by the vastness of space. I did take the liberty of looking up the 50 closest stars to us. I think the 50th closest star is around 16 light years. So any communication with a civilization of that system would take 32 years (16 out, 16 back). So maybe some of these messages we've sent to different stars systems haven't even reached the star yet, let alone had time for a message to travel back. Who knows, right now an alien civilization may be reading one of our messages and deciding if it's even wise to respond .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2010-03-26, 02:20 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "You've obviously done a bit more..."
I don't think that current search methods depend on sending and recieving a response. They just look for any EM signal with enough order to require inteligence to create (and not so much order that it's obviously naturally occuring).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2010-03-26, 08:31 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't think that current search..."
acually aliens use the element 115 hard to fully explain what it doesnt but it makes you travel near the speed of light
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2010-03-26, 10:14 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "acually aliens use the element 115 hard..."
Or, a simple explaination.
We made alot of mistakes, and physics for Aliens is much different. The speed of light is shit compaired to the speed of yes.
Aliens travel at the speed of yes.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-27, 06:37 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Or, a simple explaination. We made..."
Skurai will you just act like a man for once .... god if i had a half cent for every stupid thing you've said it would equal more than enough to repay the U.S. debt. This is a real thing so butt off if you just want to act like a complete retard. I've pwned you many times that ive stopped counting so, ACT LIKE A FUCKING MAN!!
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2010-03-27, 07:25 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "Skurai will you just act like a man for..."
jamer123 said: [Goto]
Skurai will you just act like a man for once .... god if i had a half cent for every stupid thing you've said it would equal more than enough to repay the U.S. debt. This is a real thing so butt off if you just want to act like a complete retard. I've pwned you many times that ive stopped counting so, ACT LIKE A FUCKING MAN!!
All I said was:
Imagine science made a single mistake when inventing physics. Aliens didn't. They can do things we refuse to imagine. For example, traveling faster than the speed of... anything we can make up. Because "That's not as fast as it goes".
We're human no matter how great someone is, he made a mistake. If he made a mistake making a sandwich, that was his mistake. At the same time, the mistake could've been in any of his theories. That's why they're theories.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-27, 07:43 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "All I said was: Imagine science made a..."
o have theories of my own you know ....... they seems to be correct in there own ways
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

jamer123