Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure Numer Five
Posted 2003-06-28, 06:12 AM
I've decided that I'm going to begin doing weekly album reviews. If for nothing else, to spread good music throughout the community, and to make this forum a bit more active. I'll post a final score for each album at the end based on a five-star system. Zero being "completely unenjoyable", five being "kickass beyond belief."

This week:

Soilwork - Figure Number Five

The Swedish sextet's fifth studio album begins with a rather large bang, titled "Rejection Role". The song doesn't take it's time getting to the goods, opening with a staggeringly catchy guitar riff, and proceeding into a chunky-style verse accompanied by Bjorn "Speed" Strid's sinister growls. The song goes from ungodly heavy, to mind-wrenchingly melodic balancing the two with a near-perfect outcome.

The second track, "Overload" begins with a great mixture of melodic synths and grinding guitars, and once again does the tightrope act between soaring melody and searing heaviness.

The remainder of the album continues to amaze, with standout tracks being found in the slow, brooding "Departure Plan" and another furious song entitled "The Mindmaker".

The real standout track on the album would have to be the tenth, named "Distortion Sleep". I dare anyone to listen to this song and not come away loving it. Easily one of the catchiest and most unrelentingly heavy songs I've heard in recent days.

Expect big things from this band in the near future. This album is easily more mainstream-accessible than their previous efforts, and in my opinion, it's the best installment in their library. Give it a shot. If you've got Kazaa (or any other P2P client), donwload a copy of "Distortion Sleep". Then go out and buy the album.

Score: *****

Best tracks: "Rejection Role", "The Mindmaker" and "Distortion Sleep"

Last edited by Raziel; 2003-07-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-06-28, 07:36 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure..."
Meh?

By every fiber of your being you are truely a man slayer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Batosi is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenBatosi is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Batosi

Posted 2003-06-28, 09:45 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure..."
Sounds good, Raziel. Next time I have the money I'll be sure to buy this one, though I should probably get a place to live first!

Soilwork is cool, I've heard that Black Star Deceiver song, love it, so I am going to try to get this album.

Maybe tonight we'll fly so far away... We'll be lost before the dawn...
Raziel said:
er er LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

DaFrigginDoctah

Posted 2003-06-30, 08:49 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure..."
I'd definitely suggest it. "Black Star Deciever" is off their second-newest album, Natural Born Chaos. Not quite as cool as Figure Number Five, but still worlds better than 98% of newer music today. I'd definitely suggest picking up both if you have the available funds.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-07-01, 12:51 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure..."
Im so damn sick of seeing shit with weekly in front of it. Its like you went to quikspy's school of modding, lol.

Can you just call It Raziels Reviews and go by volumes or something?

Batosi said:
Meh?
please watch the spam...im not gonna warn you but after looking at newest posts i should.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Gsus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGsus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Gsus

Posted 2003-07-01, 04:21 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Weekly album review: Soilwork - Figure..."
Gsus said:
Its like you went to quikspy's school of modding, lol.
That's a low blow, you son of a bitch.

Sure, I'll change the title. "Raziel's Reviews" sounds better anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel