Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Help making file smaller
Posted 2012-04-02, 09:56 AM
Hey I want to make this my avatar but I can't seem to get the file small enough without completely killing the quality. I will email a psd file if someone wants it.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-02, 11:15 AM in reply to Asamin's post "Help making file smaller"
Save as .GIF with 128 colors. Rename to .png. Comes out to around 20kb with no quality issues.

I might as well upload it for you :P

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2012-04-02, 12:52 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "Save as .GIF with 128 colors. Rename to..."
Thank you kaos.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-02, 08:54 PM in reply to Asamin's post "Help making file smaller"
Why the rename?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-02, 08:55 PM in reply to Asamin's post "Help making file smaller"
Asamin said: [Goto]
Hey I want to make this my avatar but I can't seem to get the file small enough without completely killing the quality. I will email a psd file if someone wants it.
You should be able to use that file as is. Size limit for large avatars is 120KB, that file is only 50ish. In fact, the size limit is generous enough that K_A had a 150x150 animated avatar for a while.

If you're having trouble squeezing something for whatever reason, remember that the avatar space provided is actually round; making the undisplayed parts a single color or transparent aids the compression.

Last edited by WetWired; 2012-04-02 at 08:59 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-02, 09:07 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You should be able to use that file as..."
It's weird then. My computer was displaying it as 200kb. Any reason why it would do that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-03, 03:35 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You should be able to use that file as..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
YIn fact, the size limit is generous enough that K_A had a 150x150 animated avatar for a while.
Yeah that was exceptionally obnoxious.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-04-03, 05:11 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Yeah that was exceptionally obnoxious."
I may have to try that some time. Well, wait, I have had an animated one. I don't think it was 150x150. I'll make one today in flash.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-03, 07:58 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I may have to try that some time. Well,..."
Well, I made it, it works on the computer but when I upload it it doesn't work. I'm kinda pissed cuz it took me forever to make.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-03, 10:58 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Well, I made it, it works on the..."
That's another thing. If you go over the limit, the forum automatically compresses it for you...
Flash isn't allowed in avatars; I'm surprised it'd let you upload it.

If you get your avatar within the restrictions as an animated GIF, there should be no issue.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-04, 07:08 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "That's another thing. If you go over..."
That's actually what I did. I exported it in an animated gif but it wouldn't animate online
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-04, 09:02 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "That's actually what I did. I exported..."
If that's the case, then it must have been too big.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-04, 09:16 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If that's the case, then it must have..."
That's the thing, it wasn't bit. It's 47kb. Also, even if I upload it to photobucket or something it just doesn't work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-04, 10:27 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You should be able to use that file as..."
In fact, the size limit is generous enough that K_A had a 150x150 animated avatar for a while.
I giggled at this. Up it to 500 KB.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2012-04-04, 10:49 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I giggled at this. Up it to 500 KB."
It still isn't working for me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-05, 09:06 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "That's the thing, it wasn't bit. It's..."
Atach it here
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-05, 09:07 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I giggled at this. Up it to 500 KB."
The point wasn't for everyone to have animated avatars, simply that it was possible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-05, 10:55 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The point wasn't for everyone to have..."
Yeah, I just made a simple one where the Metagross's eyes glow. Not some huge animation. Thing is I tried to do another .gif that worked before and it didn't work. So idk what's up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-06, 07:43 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The point wasn't for everyone to have..."
The point wasn't for everyone to have animated avatars, simply that it was possible.
Why not do it anyway? It's not like we're straining the server.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2012-04-06, 07:46 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Why not do it anyway? It's not like..."
I would have it but I can't produce anything of a quality I'm willing to put up. If I could keep this level quality and make it a .gif I would but I can't.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin