Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Eve Online: Incursion Detected Derelik Region (large screenshots)
Posted 2012-11-06, 04:20 PM

Alliance forces are massing on gates to prepare to defeat the Sansha invaders. ETA to engagement 10 minutes.

Engagement started.

Last edited by Sovereign; 2012-11-06 at 04:41 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2012-11-06, 06:22 PM in reply to Sovereign's post "Eve Online: Incursion Detected Derelik..."
Looks nerdy
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-11-06, 07:00 PM in reply to Sovereign's post "Eve Online: Incursion Detected Derelik..."
Is this... a thing?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2012-11-06, 08:32 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Is this... a thing?"
Eve online. It's a pretty fun space based mmo. The economy is 99.9% run by players. The other .1% are skill books sold at certain stations,. The screenshots are from the equivalent of a 10 man wow raid.

You can choose your own path in the game. You aren't limited by race or factions. Some people are pirates who attack and ransom peoples ships, others are traders.

The universe is HUGE with multiple systems designated by a security status. In .5-1.0 you are pretty safe. Any aggression will immediately trigger Concord Police response. They drain the aggressor's 'mana' and basically one shot them. There is low security which is .1-.4. This is where all the pirates are as they are kill on sight in any high sec areas. You are protected when around stations or stargates, but are SOL if you get attacked anywhere else. Null security space ranges from 0.0 to -1.0. Player Corporations (Guilds) can control huge patches of this space, putting up their own stations and home bases.

The game has a rather steep learning curve but once you get the basics down it's downright addicting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2012-11-06, 10:47 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Eve online. It's a pretty fun space..."
Sovereign said: [Goto]
The game has a rather steep learning curve but once you get the basics down it's downright addicting.
This is the main problem I have with it. I also dislike the skill system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-11-10, 04:31 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "This is the main problem I have with..."
I honestly love complex games. Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online has a lot of complexity, and it sounds like you'd hate it, for that alone, K_A.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-11-10, 07:28 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I honestly love complex games. Shin..."
EvE is more than you can handle, Skurai. At least it is if you were to take it seriously at all. Fans have put together an 800 page reference guide, in case you doubt me, and there are still things that haven't been figured out with complete certainty by the players.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-11-10, 07:36 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "EvE is more than you can handle,..."
While that does sound intense as fuck, it really doesn't sound much harder than Imagine...
Is there a monthly bill, or is it complete FTP? Do I need to buy "premium" or some gay shit, like most "free" MMOs?
If it's completely FTP, I'll do it.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-11-10, 09:24 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I honestly love complex games. Shin..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
I honestly love complex games. Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online has a lot of complexity, and it sounds like you'd hate it, for that alone, K_A.
EVE is on a different level regarding complexity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-11-10, 09:28 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "EVE is on a different level regarding..."
Are we seriously talking Rocket Science Level video games, here?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-11-12, 03:42 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "While that does sound intense as fuck,..."
There is a monthly fee, though you can pay with in game currency, if you can afford the market rate (around 400,000,000 ISK, last I checked). In this case, someone else paid real money for the time, and you're buying the token from them. You can get the first 20 days free with a guest pass, or 14 without, IIRC.

EvE is a simulation. The economy is not broken. Actions have consequences. The best way to outfit a ship depends not only on its role, but on your skills which effect the usefulness of different modules (rather than just whether you can use them) and also how much you can afford to lose. You don't fly what you can't afford to lose; you always eventually lose it if you fly it.

Of course, all the money in the world won't help you if you don't know what you're doing. Sooooo many lol noobs get pwned doing stupid things in ships they bought by selling game time for ISK. There is no "I win" button in this game (though admitedly, super capital ships come close), nor some magic formula for success chiseled in stone. It's a game that you succeed in based on the experience and knowledge of you and those you are with.

Last edited by WetWired; 2012-11-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-11-12, 04:51 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "There is a monthly fee, though you can..."
In short, way more then the mind of Skurai could ever even begin to comprehend.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-11-12, 09:16 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "In short, way more then the mind of..."
You're aware that I only act dumb to be annoying, right?

Anyways. I mean. It sounds good and all, but the monthly fee sounds pretty lame. And if the only way to get good is based on experience, then, I mean, I'll need more than 20 days... so maybe later.
Skurai

Last edited by Skurai; 2012-11-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-11-13, 10:10 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "You're aware that I only act dumb to be..."
The skills you train just train automatically after a given amount of time, and eventually the time it takes to get to the next level of a skill becomes pretty absurd. It seemed to me like you would need to keep an account active just for the sake of training skills, and playing the game would probably become a secondary feature.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-11-13, 10:41 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The skills you train just train..."
It would take some 18 years to max out every skill in the game with max implants that give bonuses to training times. You do not need level 5 skills to be effective in the game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sovereign

Posted 2012-11-14, 06:03 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "You're aware that I only act dumb to be..."
Monthly fee >> pay 2 win
And when we're talking about a single shard universe with 30,000 concurrent users, it's not cheap to maintain, so no, it's not a false dichotomy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-11-14, 07:16 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "It would take some 18 years to max out..."
Sovereign said: [Goto]
It would take some 18 years to max out every skill in the game with max implants that give bonuses to training times. You do not need level 5 skills to be effective in the game.

Indeed. Still, training (at least a large part of) one subset of skills (e.g. Gunnery) to level 5 is a good way to make things less painful. That is, at least if your intentions are to make enough money to buy one PLEX per month as a by-product of having fun.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-11-14, 08:47 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Monthly fee >> pay 2 win And when..."
I said nothing about pay 2 win.
Holy fucknuggets, it's like none of you have ever touched Imagine before.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-11-14, 03:02 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I said nothing about pay 2 win. Holy..."
I just explained why there are only two plausible possibilities.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired