Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Games: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge
Posted 2004-11-23, 01:13 AM
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge
Developer: Capcom
Platform: Playstation 2
Genre: Action-Adventure

The title should be quite familiar if you've watched that classic film. Jack Skellington of Halloween Town, the main character, is bored of the same old tricks and treats, and so he finds out about Christmas Town. He wants to change things around... but that's the film.

Story
The story in the game takes place a year after the event. Jack is out of town, and the big bad Oogie Bogie has come back to assault Halloween Town!

Jack Skellington comes back and finds out that Halloween Town seems to be different; ghouls and ghosts are out attacking everyone, and later he finds out Oogie Bogie's foul doing. What is the Pumpkin King (Jack) going to do to retain peace in both Halloween and Christmas Town?

Gameplay
The gameplay is quite similar to Devil May Cry 1 I found. It is a 3rd person action game with some puzzles. Jack is agile, and in his normal form, equipped with a Soul Rubber which acts like a whip, except it can grab and swing and throw enemies. (Very much like Jacque in OniMusha3) The game is divided into chapters, and at the end of the chapters there will be rankings and rewards based on performance. Power-ups can be purchased in shops in-game. You also have an inventory system, just like DMC, which you can store healing items and such.

The interesting thing about the game is boss battle. There will be dialogue and song between the two, and doing damage to the boss not only decrease his health (Duh), but also it will give out musical notes so that you can collect to fill out an onscreen bar. When the bar is filled completely, it turns to a mini-game like Pop'n Music, where you will be singing a solo to the boss by hitting different keys on your control pad on-time with the onscreen prompt. At the end of song sequence, the boss will take mega damage.

Jack has 3 forms including the one mentioned: Soul Rubber, Santa Claus, and Pumpkin King.
Soul Rubber I've mentioned...
In Santa Claus form, you throw out gift boxes and open them to freeze, damage, or scare the enemies. Useful in crowd control, sometimes.
In Pumpkin King form, Jack turns into the Pumpkin King, and will be able to breath out fire, and causes inferno around himself at the expense of some red pumpkin gauge.

Sound
I personally think that the sound is very intriguing, and it totally goes with the story and atomsphere. The songs being sung by the boss and characters are quite hilarious sometimes, and generally it gives a very jolly feeling.

Graphic
The game has great visual presentation, and most of it stays with the source materials. The characters' movements are fluid, and generally, the overall graphics is on par with most of the other Capcom's titles to date.

Overall
This game is not out in NA yet, but it should be out some time next year. The game might look silly at first glance... and well, it is silly, but it is a fun gaming experience nonetheless.

One problem I have is, while the moves Jack has is cool, he does not have enough moves. And that will lead to repetitive combats in some point.

Score: 8.8

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2004-11-23, 01:57 AM in reply to Senesia's post "Games: Tim Burton's The Nightmare..."
Okay, this is officially the weirdest amalgamation of media I've ever heard of. A film-to-game transition of a decade-old Tim Burton movie, done with the Devil May Cry engine? I might have to pick it up, just to see the musical finishing moves.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel