Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

PS2 Online Information
Posted 2002-08-10, 11:24 AM
This thread will be full of PS2 Online Plan and all its information, please do not spam here, or flame people. I hope this thread can provide everyone who is interested in PS2 Network Adapterm, therefore, we do not want people to read useless information in here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!Remember, you've been warned!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
First Step: Find your cousin.
Second Step: Get your cousin in the cannon.
Third Step: Find another cousin.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
VComegasin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenVComegasin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

VComegasin

Posted 2002-08-10, 11:25 AM in reply to VComegasin's post "PS2 Online Information"
::ORIGINAL QUOTE FROM JOHNNYTAE::

PS2 ONLINE FAQ
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 26, 2002 - One of the most popular topics in our PS2 Mailbag these days is the PlayStation 2's imminent leap online. Starting in just over a month, you'll be able to play PS2 games with and against gamers all over the nation and even the world, via the Internet. You all have plenty of questions about how to get online and in the game, though, and so we thought we'd put together a Frequently Asked Questions file covering some of the major topics about PS2 online gaming.
This is by no means all the goods -- it's meant to cover general issues, not details related to specific games. But if you think you have a question that ought to be in here, e-mail us and we'll update the FAQ if we agree that it's a query worth including.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Getting Online
1. What do I need to play games online?
2. What's the difference between 56K and broadband?
3. How do I get a broadband connection?
4. I have a broadband connection, but it's plugged into my PC. How do I connect my PS2 to the same connection?
5. How do I get an ISP?
6. How much will all this cost?
7. Okay, I have my network adapter, my Internet connection, my network software, and a game. What next?
8. What can I do online besides play games?

Online Hardware
1. When does the network adapter go on sale?
2. When does the HDD hard drive go on sale?
3. Does [insert game here] require the hard drive?
4. Can I use a third-party modem or Ethernet adapter to play games online?
5. Can I use the network adapter and hard drive I got with my PS2 Linux Kit to play games online?
6. Can I use a mouse and keyboard to communicate online? What kind do I need?
7. Does [insert game here] support the SOCOM headset for voice communication?

Online Games
1. Does [insert game here] include online play?
2. What about Japan?
3. When is [insert game here] coming out?
4. Does [insert game here] work with a 56K modem?
5. How do I get a copy of Twisted Metal Online?
6. Can I play Japanese online games here in America?

Beta Testing
1. What's beta testing?
2. How do I get involved in online beta testing?

GETTING ONLINE

1. What do I need to play games online?

Complicated question, that. But the most important thing you need is this:

This is the Sony network adapter, which will set you back $39.95 when it debuts later this summer. Check here for the specs, and never mind that silly old November 2001 release date. It attaches to the back of your PS2, and has ports that connect to a phone line or broadband modem. Plug it into your phone line and you can connect to the Internet via its built-in 56K modem. Plug it into your cable or ADSL modem and you have a high-speed broadband connection. It also comes with the network driver software that installs on your memory card.

Once you have that bit of hardware, you need a connection to the Internet, which you get via an Internet Service Provider. And you need an online game to play, of course.

2. What's the difference between 56K and broadband?

What's the difference between a tricycle and a Ferrari? A 56K connection is slow, and some games have limited compatibility with it. A broadband connection is very fast, and means you'll have few connection problems with any game you play. It also means people won't get a busy signal when they try to phone you up while you're playing online. The drawback is that broadband costs more and takes more effort to set up, whereas you probably already have a phone line.

There are two basic flavors of broadband access available right now: ADSL and cable. The practical difference is that ADSL has faster downloading speed than cable, but slower uploading. For the most part, though, they should be about equally effective for playing games online with PS2.

3. How do I get a broadband connection?

Several Internet Service Providers, telecommunications services, and cable companies offer ADSL and cable connections to the Internet. The type of service available varies according to where you live -- the best place to start would be your local phone book. If you already have phone or cable service, you can call those providers and ask about what they offer. Pricing depends on where you live and what type of service you pick up, but at the very least what you need is hardware (a cable or ADSL modem) and a service account whereby you pay a monthly fee for access.

4. I have a broadband connection, but it's plugged into my PC. How do I connect my PS2 to the same connection?

The crudest possible option is to just unplug the network cable from your PC and plug it into you PS2. That's not a particularly graceful solution, though. What you need a router, a piece of hardware that will accept more than one input and send them all through your broadband modem. You may already have one of these, particularly if you have more than one computer using your connection. If not, head to your local computer store and pick up a broadband router with multiple ports. Several companies make ones with four or so ports that cost less than $100 and should work just fine.

5. How do I get an ISP?

Well, since you're reading this, you got on the Internet somehow. But seriously, acquiring Internet access in this day and age is easier than breathing. Again, your local phone book should offer a great many choices, to whom you can call around and comparison shop. Sony is also co-promoting PS2 online gaming with America Online, so the network adapter should come with an offer to hook up to their service if you want to follow the path of least resistance.

6. How much will all this cost?

There will be no fee to access PS2 online gaming in general. Games like SOCOM, Madden, NFL2K3, and many others will be free, save for the cost of your Internet access. That will naturally vary according to what kind of deal you can strike with your service provider. Some games may charge a monthly fee, particularly online RPGs like Final Fantasy XI and Everquest, but no exact figures have been confirmed.

7. Okay, I have my network adapter, my Internet connection, my network software, and a game. What next?

If Sony and other software developers do their thing properly, that should be all you need. The experience of connecting a game to the Internet should be as simple as possible -- we've played Tribes and SOCOM online so far, and all we've had to do is plug it into our already-active broadband connection. Some games may require more complicated configuration procedures, but you'll have to check the documentation for those particular games.

8. What can I do online besides play games?

Sony has plans to offer all manner of web-browsing, communication, and content downloading services via the PS2 online network -- music, movies, words, pictures, and more. They've partnered with America Online and RealNetworks to build those services, and implemented a system called Dynamic Network Authorization to protect copyright and personal identity for users and content providers. We'll have to wait and see what comes out in the wash once Sony actually completes implementation of the network, though. For your edification, you can also check out this overview of Square's PlayOnline online service, which is also offering a variety of online content alongside its centerpiece, Final Fantasy XI.

ONLINE HARDWARE

1. When does the network adapter go on sale?

August 27, 2002, at a price of $39.95.

2. When does the HDD hard drive go on sale?

We don't know yet. Sony has not announced an official release date or price for the HDD, although some sources have reported without official confirmation that it will cost around $80. Wait and see.

3. Does [insert game here] require the hard drive?

So far, the only announced online games that require the hard drive are Everquest Online Adventures and Final Fantasy XI. It may be required to take advantage of downloadable features in games like Automodellista, but that has yet to be confirmed.

4. Can I use a third-party modem or Ethernet adapter to play games online?

It's looking like the answer is no. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was specially programmed to use a variety of third-party hardware for online play, because the Sony network adapter wasn't ready yet. Now, Sony wants its hardware solution to be the only one around, so that's the specific piece of ware you'll need.

5. Can I use the network adapter and hard drive I got with my PS2 Linux Kit to play games online?

Currently, it looks like the answer is "yes and no." That is, yes, you can use the network adapter, but no, you can't use the hard drive. A hard drive with PS2 Linux installed on it cannot be used with any commercially-released PS2 games, online or otherwise, so you won't be able to install Final Fantasy XI unless you buy another hard drive and swap it in. However, the Linux Kit's network adapter should work with American PS2 games, even though it isn't quite the same piece of hardware as the regular American network adapter.

6. Can I use a mouse and keyboard to communicate online? What kind do I need?

For typing and browsing with PS2 online, you just need any old USB mouse and/or keyboard (although you should make sure to get one with a USB connection, not an old PS/2 plug). Brands don't matter, although Sony does plan to market PS2-branded mice and keyboards.

7. Does [insert game here] support the SOCOM headset for voice communication?

SOCOM, in case you're wondering why it costs $60, comes with a headphone/microphone headset peripheral that lets you communicate with other players and control the game with voice commands. However, that is the only game announced so far that uses the peripheral.

ONLINE GAMES

1. Does [insert game here] include online play?

Here's a list of online PS2 games scheduled for release in America, with descriptions of what online features they're supposed to include. We'll update it as new games are announced, and if you know of an online game that's not on the list, holler at us and we'll include it.

Automodellista (Capcom) -- Online racing competition and community.
Catan (Capcom) -- Online board-game competition.
EverQuest Online Adventures (SCEA) -- Massively-multiplayer online RPG.
Final Fantasy XI (Square) -- Massively-multiplayer online RPG.
Frequency 2 (SCEA) -- Online DJ battle competition.
Madden NFL 2003 (EA) -- Online football competition.
My Street (SCEA) -- Online party-game competition.
NFL GameDay 2003 (SCEA) -- Online football competition.
Resident Evil Online (Capcom) -- Online cooperative gameplay (unconfirmed).
Sega Sports NBA 2K3 (Sega) -- Online basketball competition.
Sega Sports NCAA College Basketball 2K3 (Sega) -- Online basketball competition.
Sega Sports NFL 2K3 (Sega) -- Online football competition.
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs (SCEA) -- Online competition and cooperative gameplay.
Star Wars Galaxies (LucasArts) -- Massively-multiplayer online RPG.
TimeSplitters 2 (Eidos) -- Online first-person shooter competition.
Tribes: Aerial Assault (Sierra) -- Online first-person shooter competition.
Twisted Metal: Black Online (SCEA) -- Online car combat competition.
2. What about Japan?

During a Japanese press conference on February 13, 2002, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and dozens of third parties attended a public conference focused on Japanese online PS2 games, technologies and strategies. Upcoming Japanese games announced for the Japanese market include:

Bio Hazard Online [working title] (Capcom)
Auto Modellista (Capcom)
Massively Multiplayer Online RPG (Atlus),
The Dungeon of Druaga (Arika)
Tokyo Highway Battle Online (Genki)
Nobunaga's Ambition Online (Koei)
Music Game [working title] (Konami)
Sports Game [working title] (Konami)
Shogi Dojo 24 [working title] (Success)
Soreyuke! Karaoke Heaven (Success)
Final Fantasy XI (Square)
Guru Guru Onsen (Sega)
Simulation [working title] (Sega)
Hundred Swords (Sega)
Race [working title] (Sega)
Arc the Lad Online [working title] (SCE)
Kuma Uta [Bear Song] (SCE)
Gran Turismo Online [working title] (SCE)
Minna no Golf Online (SCE)
Mojibu Ribbon [working title] (SCE)
Network Board Game [working title] (Takara)
Multiplayer Action Adventure [working title] (Tecmo)
Table Game [working title] (Tomy)
Clockwork Online [working title] (Namco)
New Action Adventure Game [working title] (Namco)
3D Flight Shooting [working title] (Namco)
Namco Sports Online [working title] (Namco)
Venus & Braves (Namco)
Bomberman Online [working title] (Hudson)
Armored Core Sigma Project [working title] (From Software)
Some of those games are still very far in the future (note the preponderance of working titles), while others have substantial coverage in our preview archives. Check elsewhere on the site for the exact details.

3. When is [insert game here] coming out?

As always, please check our previews and release date sections for dates.

4. Does [insert game here] work with a 56K modem?

Some games require that you play via a broadband connection, or won't let you access all their online features when you're playing with a modem. Here's the full rundown (addressing only games likely to be released in America):

Automodellista -- Modem compatible (planned).
Catan -- Modem compatible.
EverQuest Online Adventures -- Modem compatible.
Final Fantasy XI -- In Japan, it supports both modems and broadband. The American version may differ, however.
Frequency 2 -- Modem compatible.
Madden NFL 2003 -- Modem compatible.
My Street -- Modem compatible.
NFL GameDay 2003 -- Modem compatible.
Resident Evil Online -- Unconfirmed.
Sega Sports NBA2K3 -- Modem compatible.
Sega Sports NCAA College Basketball 2K3 -- Modem compatible.
Sega Sports NFL2K3 -- Modem compatible.
SOCOM: US Navy SEALS -- Broadband only.
Star Wars Galaxies -- Unconfirmed.
TimeSplitters 2 -- Modem compatible.
Tribes: Aerial Assault -- Lag may make larger (4-6+ player) games unplayable via modem, but there is no enforced limitation on 56K players.
Twisted Metal: Black Online -- Two players via modem, eight players via broadband.
Remember, of course, that you may experience more lag or interruptions in your connection with any game when you connect via a 56K modem.

5. How do I get a copy of Twisted Metal Online?

The network adapter will come with a mail-in card that you can send in for a free copy of Twisted Metal: Black Online. We also have unconfirmed reports that some retailers may have copies available to give away with network adapters at the point of sale.

6. Can I play Japanese online games here in America?

That answer varies from game to game. Most often, it is "no." The most common question along these lines, however, is "Can I play Final Fantasy XI?", and in that case, it's a tentative "yes." You'll need a Japanese PS2, a Japanese hard drive, a Japanese network adapter, and a broadband Internet connection, as well as a lot of patience. For more information, check this article.

7. How much will Final Fantasy XI cost to play every month?

When we know, we'll tell you. In Japan, it's round about the equivalent of $10 a month.

BETA TESTING

1. What's beta testing?

Every game goes through testing in the later stages of its development. Online games, however, are unusual in that companies generally have to get a lot of players involved in the final testing of the game, to work out bugs and test the capacity of their game servers. Thus, online games occasionally enlist ordinary gamers as part of the testing process.

2. How do I get involved in online beta testing?

It varies from game to game. Sony selects its testers from among the subscribers of the PlayStation Underground CD magazine, so if you subscribe, you may get a shot at joining a future beta testing pool. Check IGN for news reports on potential testing opportunities from third-party publishers.
First Step: Find your cousin.
Second Step: Get your cousin in the cannon.
Third Step: Find another cousin.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
VComegasin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenVComegasin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

VComegasin