Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Nasa's Mars habitats will never work, here's why.
Posted 2008-03-15, 09:20 PM
[22:59] Dubby: trhe martian explorers are gonna die. everyone gunning for mars habitats wants to put them on the surface. there's just too many problems and hazards on the surface, nto to mention there's been so much erosion there's almost no chance they'd find evidence of life near the surface or on it. surface modules have to deal with ravaging dust storms, cataclysmic electrical storms, solar wind, radiation, cosmic rays, microscopic meteorites, and other shit flying at you from outer space.
[22:59] Dubby: their best bet is to build habitats underground, where they'd be protected from all those hazards. so instead of shipping those huge habitat modules to mars, ship cylindrical boring machines
[22:59] Dubby: to autonomously dig long slanted holes in the surface, extending a hundred feet below the surface or more which can then branch out with other mining machines to make a vastly larger habitat than what they'd get by just shipping a few modules or making mudbrick houses. (yes they thought of that as a serious habitat solution)
[23:01] Dubby: underground theyd' be protected from all the problems on the surface, including several that mere surface habitats cant protect against. not to mention underground greenhouses would be far safer for the plants, and the underground habitats could produce their own breathable air far more effeciently than surface greenhouses. because they'd rely on solar panels planted on the surface to send energy to solar generators (lights) underground with the light strength the plants are used to
[23:01] Dubby: it's a better solution all around, and communication with earth could be maintained by short-distance telemetry to satellites in orbit around mars, which then relay to earth with much stronger telemetry.
[23:02] Dubby: AND they'll be mch closer to groundwater
[23:02] Dubby: AND they'd have a much better chance at finding evidence of life in the ancient sedimentary rock below the surface
[23:03] Dubby: AND they'd be close to raw, usable materials and minerals for producing greenhouse gasses with industrial equipment
[23:03] Dubby: AND the temperature would be constant
[23:03] Dubby: by being underground
[23:03] Dubby: possibly even warmer, alot warmer
[23:04] Dubby: tyhe boring machine could also produce concrete from the martian soil to boot.
[23:04] Dubby: so instead of shipping 2 or 3 gigantic habitat modules to mars and h uge water tanks, they could be shipping mining equipment to build an underground habitat and use the groundwater there, and the underground minerals. PLUS if there IS life on mars, they will find it UNDERGROUND.
[23:05] Dubby: earth is literally COVERED in a layer of deep-rock dwelling bacterial goo, most of it is black and white and slimey and lumpy
[23:05] Dubby: very deep mines will find it everywhere, and that bacterial goo has been happily mucking out an existence for billions of years
[23:06] Dubby: there's been numerous occasions where the entire surface of earth was sterilized. not an extinction like the ones we find evidence for in sedimentary rock, but completely sterilized by a super-enormous impact large enough to break through the crust and tectonic plates. the deep-rock bacteria on the opposite side of the planet is immune to those events. and if there's still life on mars, it's going to be deep underground
[23:06] Zelaron: You should post some of this on my forum
[23:06] Dubby: hell, it MIGHT even be the same goo that's on earth
[23:07] Dubby: :<
[23:07] Zelaron: EVEN GUESTS CAN POST NOW! DISCORDIANISM FOR ALL!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby

Posted 2008-03-15, 09:50 PM in reply to Dubby's post "Nasa's Mars habitats will never work,..."
Are you or are you not Chruser's transvestite lover?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-03-16, 09:46 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Are you or are you not Chruser's..."
We will not rest until we find out the answer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-25, 10:48 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "We will not rest until we find out the..."
I demand to know!!!

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2008-03-26, 11:54 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "I demand to know!!!"
Where are the Hardly Boys when you need em?

lol :|

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2008-03-27, 01:20 AM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Where are the Hardly Boys when you need..."
Large Hardon Collider.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-03-27, 01:39 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Large Hardon Collider."
Chruser said:
Large Hardon Collider.
Large Hadron Collider

Reference

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-03-27, 10:36 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Large Hadron Collider Reference..."
Goodlookinguy said:
Large Hadron Collider

Reference
Thank you, Captain Obvious*.

* Reference
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-03-27, 12:44 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Thank you, Captain Obvious*. *..."
Chruser said:

* Reference

Interlingua? What in the world? I pointed out that you misspelled it, to help people out.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-03-27, 01:10 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Interlingua? What in the world? I..."
And you still don't get it....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-27, 10:39 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "And you still don't get it...."
Thanatos said:
And you still don't get it....
Of course I got it. Who said I didn't, and I suppose the same goes for who said I did? The point is, he misspelled it, I pointed it out. I didn't know what "Large Hadron Collider" was. So my reference was from wikipedia, which when I spelled it the way Chruser spelled it, I was redirected to the proper page that had the correct spelling.

By the way Lenny, in this thread http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43394&page=8, you stated I was owned. The slang term would be more properly used if I was actually offended or if it made more sense in the context. Captain Obvious with a link to fact of the day in Interlingua didn't make any sense, because I spelled the word out correctly. It was a correction, I didn't get owned nor was I offended by the content above.

Honestly, I don't really like to point out spelling errors. Only ones that are specifically named a special name or an object that has a special purpose. I'm done with this thread. <I will not respond>

EDIT: That was actually I little something I put in there as a joke, it is another way of writing captain in some other languages See Here. Reason for doin' it was because of Chruser's Interlingua reference. Also, I like cheese.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-03-28 at 04:36 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-03-27, 11:21 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Of course I got it. Who said I didn't,..."
... istilldontgetit.

However, you did misspell "Captain"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2008-03-31, 10:33 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Thank you, Captain Obvious*. *..."
Chruser said:

* Reference
Holy shit, owned!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-04-16, 06:38 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Are you or are you not Chruser's..."
Talk about off topic replies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby