Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Question Jumping Help
Posted 2006-05-06, 02:19 AM
Ok,
I looked in my ALREADY translated to english rpgmaker2k3 help file for
the Jump event help.I can't seem to find it anywhere.Not even in my rpgmaker2k help file.so...can ANY1 tell me how to make my character JUMP
by the push of a button?Oh and I elready know howto make a mini video where my character jumps...blahblahblah....blahblah.....But I DO NOT
KNOW howto make him jump any time I press "S" for example.(I said that last line so I could be spared the noob answares so whoever helps will actually do so.) -frosted_snow
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
frosted_snow is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfrosted_snow is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

frosted_snow

Posted 2006-05-06, 04:55 AM in reply to frosted_snow's post "Jumping Help"
Right, I was thinking of making it an Input Number command - so when 5 is input, a conditional event (parallel process) checking for it makes the hero jump up then down.

But then there's the problem that input number means a little window pops up waiting for you the find the number 5 and press enter.

Instead, I've found a tutorial for jumping that may look complicated, but works pretty effectively, or so I'm told:

http://uiv2.com/tutorials/25
And here's a second one --> http://www.blade2k.net/writings/0/1/...c6a20152f68fa6

Hope it helps.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-05-06, 09:18 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Right, I was thinking of making it an..."
Thx a lot man!I liked what I seen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
frosted_snow is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfrosted_snow is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

frosted_snow

Posted 2006-05-06, 05:58 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Right, I was thinking of making it an..."
You can also just have a parallel process, Common Event in the background with basically this:

<> Key Input Processing: [0005: WhatKey] (check whatever keys you want to jump with, and make sure to uncheck "Wait Until Key Pressed")
<> Branch (If 0005:WhatKey is equal to 11 or whatever number key you want, I wouldn't use 10 because that's the zero key, which opens the menu)
....<> Move Hero: Start Jump, Forward, Forward, End Jump (ignore impossible movement)
....<> Wait 0.2 seconds
:End
<>

Which basically moves you forward, skipping a square (if possible).

Of course, you'll have to be careful about things you don't want the player to be able to jump over - you can either make all obstacles two spaces wide, put blank "Same Layer as Hero" events behind unjumpable objects, or have a switch to disable your common event (which would be best, you can make 'no-jump' maps with this).

Or, heck, put an event that's below the hero that, when activated via Key Press, jumps the character around however far you want. Of course that only applies if you want the player to only be able to jump on certain spaces.

Last edited by BlueCube; 2006-05-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-05-07, 12:32 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "You can also just have a parallel..."
( The following may seem rude, but I only want to give some helpful advice) Jumping in an RM2k3 game is impractical and pointless. Player encounters a log, player presses button, game continues. But for you, the gamemaker it's the above problems. Why put yourself through such hell for something that won't add to character depth, story, or your combat system? Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noble Swordsman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoble Swordsman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noble Swordsman

Posted 2006-05-07, 06:04 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "You can also just have a parallel..."
I've never understood how to get 'Key input Processing' working.

---

Jumping in an RPG game might be pointless, but it does add a bit of the Platform style. And, if it's pulled off without a hitch (after days of the programmer swearing at the computer to make it work), with other superfluous little extras, then the game could go down as one of the best on the internet.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-05-07, 12:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've never understood how to get 'Key..."
The key input processing command stores whatever button you last pressed in the desired variable. You can then use stuff like conditional branches to check if the player pressed a certain thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Noble Swordsman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNoble Swordsman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Noble Swordsman

Posted 2006-05-07, 09:59 PM in reply to Noble Swordsman's post starting "( The following may seem rude, but I..."
Jumping in the game can have a LOT to do with the adventure. Look at Zelda for the Super NES.One the the top games of that era because of its adventurous feel in things such as the way of mobility in how the only way to get past certain parts is to use your noggin to try to get around obstacles.Only they used a temporary jump event and a whip event.But none the less the game was a MAJOR hit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

frosted_snow

Posted 2006-05-07, 10:04 PM in reply to frosted_snow's post "Jumping Help"
OK,
I have another problem.I am trying this tut. and dont' know howto do this.
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 22
Anybody know howto do this?All I can do is something like
<><><>Variable[0002 Hero Y] -,22 apparently the above is differant cuz the way i tryed doesn't seem to work.What am I doing wrong?Here is the whole code:

<>If "Jumping" is ON then
<><>If "Falling" is OFF then
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 20
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 16
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 12
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 08
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 05
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 02
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Subtract 01
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 01
<><><>Call Common Event: [Floor Checker]
<><><>If "Grounded" is ON then
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 02
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 05
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 08
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 12
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 16
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 20
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>Label 1
<><><>Variable[0002] "Hero Y" Add 22
<><><><>Jump to Label 2
<><><><>End
<><><>Wait 0.0
<><><>If "Hero Y" is Less than "Floor (Y) then
<><><><>Jump to Label 1
<><><><>End
<><><>End
<><>Else
<><>If Falling is ON then
<><>Jump to Label 1
<><>End
<>Label 2
<>Switch[0004] "Jumping" turn OFF
<>Switch[0006] "Grounded" turn OFF
<>Switch[0005] "Falling" turn OFF
<>End
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

frosted_snow

Posted 2006-05-07, 10:22 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've never understood how to get 'Key..."
Lenny said:
I've never understood how to get 'Key input Processing' working.

---

Jumping in an RPG game might be pointless, but it does add a bit of the Platform style. And, if it's pulled off without a hitch (after days of the programmer swearing at the computer to make it work), with other superfluous little extras, then the game could go down as one of the best on the internet.
Days, more like weeks if you're not careful. A line of trees, like this:

Looks impassable, but you can actually "jump" through the trees. This is because there's only one line of spaces that are actually blocking the hero (same layer as hero), so when jumping, the hero skips the bottom part of the tree and lands "behind" it, underneath the canopy. Which is something you don't want, obviously, and can lead to players skipping major parts of the story and getting places they should not be, or taking major shortcuts through a forest, for example.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2006-05-07, 10:31 PM in reply to frosted_snow's post starting "OK, I have another problem.I am..."
frosted_snow said:
OK,
I have another problem.I am trying this tut. and dont' know howto do this.
Anybody know howto do this?All I can do is something like
<><><>Variable[0002 Hero Y] -,22 apparently the above is differant cuz the way i tryed doesn't seem to work.
Those two are the same thing, in different words. It's likely they're using a different translation or just trying to get the point across easier.

The rest of the code looks like it's trying to call a common event in some places and relying on a parallel process event in others (especially the jumping part, which likely isn't working with squares, but with picture coordinates instead, and assuming that when you jump you're going "up" instead of wherever the character is facing). So there may be an issue with either of those Common Events...

Of course the tutorial you're following is for a side-scrolling platform game with RM2k3 and isn't too much use if you're doing a top-down RPG
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube

Posted 2006-05-08, 12:55 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Those two are the same thing, in..."
Thx for the help blue cube.
Yes I agree that jump programing and the whole tree trick you showed earlier is true thus making jumping a BIG headache.I think after all this trouble, I'm just gonna make an optional jump in VERY few and certain areas.For example, the hero is crossing a mountain side with many differant paths to choose from.To get to some places, it will give an option(Jump?,Stay?).Some paths have good things such as secret item while the rest have headaches and make the trip a little longer.All the differant paths at the end,however, will lead the the same point.Thus making the whole jump thing a LOT easier to use and a LOT easier to program your levels.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

frosted_snow