Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Multi-Billion dollar experiment.
Posted 2008-09-08, 11:04 AM
Very exciting to hear about this about to finally take place. I remember hearing about this a while ago, probably about 3-4 months. Should be interesting to see what they can unveil with this amount of though process put into it, i'll try and keep it updated to see what, if anything comes from this experiment.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/08/l...der/index.html

Quote:
Large Hadron Collider will have first attempt at circulating a beam September 10

It's the largest particle accelerator in the world and costs about $9 billion

Lawsuits allege it could generate black holes that could eat the Earth

Scientists say these allegations have no merit

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-08, 11:07 AM in reply to D3V's post "Multi-Billion dollar experiment."
http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=hadron

Dickhead.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-09-08, 11:08 AM in reply to D3V's post "Multi-Billion dollar experiment."
oh is this that thing where they're gonna try to split an atom or something and theres a 1 in some odd chance that it could end the world? lol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tuttifrutti shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeTuttifrutti shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Tuttifrutti

Posted 2008-09-08, 11:09 AM in reply to Tuttifrutti's post starting "oh is this that thing where they're..."
AH WTF! That thread didnt show up on my new threads list, wtf. Okay trash can this shit.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-08, 12:53 PM in reply to Tuttifrutti's post starting "oh is this that thing where they're..."
There aren't really specific odds as far as how likely it is that it will end the world, just a bunch of theories. Nobody really knows what will happen until they do it, though. Not really worth the risk, in my opinion, even if it's unlikely to do anything bad. What do we really gain from it anyway? Spend the billions it cost to do this on feeding people instead.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-08, 12:54 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "There aren't really specific odds as..."
Fusion break throughts, possibly, understanding the big bang, and perhaps other things. They're also looking for a "god particle."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-09-08, 12:58 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Fusion break throughts, possibly,..."
I like theoretical physics more than your average person, and would love to know stuff like that, but I still can't see how the information we might gain from it justifies the possibility that we might also end our existance, nor can I see how it justifies spending so much money on something like this when we could spend it on more practical things like medical/energy/technology research. As cool as I think it is, I think it's a big waste of money as well, with an unjustified risk involved.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:04 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I like theoretical physics more than..."
all those damned scientists just wanna look big and important
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tuttifrutti shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeTuttifrutti shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Tuttifrutti

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:04 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I like theoretical physics more than..."
I don't see any risk involved.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:06 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I don't see any risk involved."
.. they're saying that the world could end, as in we could all die. its a very small chance, but still, there's a chance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tuttifrutti

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:18 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I don't see any risk involved."
D3V said: [Goto]
I don't see any risk involved.

Say that to eternity.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:23 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Say that to eternity."
They already have the green-light, I have faith in those scientists. The only people saying it could end the world don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:35 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "They already have the green-light, I..."
They already have the green-light, I have faith in those scientists. The only people saying it could end the world don't know what they're talking about.
Nobody knows what they are talking about. The only thing anyone can do is theorize. Theories can be, and quite often are, wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:37 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Nobody knows what they are talking..."
I wouldn't mind some destruction.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:48 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "They already have the green-light, I..."
The only people saying it could end the world don't know what they're talking about.
Also, in response to this. Dr. Walter L. Wagner is one of the two people that are suing the people that are running this experiment to attempt to stop them.

http://www.wiki1.net/groups/uploads/...erLWagner1.doc

See that link. The important part is on page 2 and beyond, where he describes his professional background, such as when he discovered a novel particle that had only been theorized to exist beforehand. I don't think I would consider him someone that doesn't know what he's talking about. I would say that his theories are probably just as valid as anyone elses.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-08, 01:49 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I wouldn't mind some destruction."
you realize if you were to obtain this, destruction. that it would be the last destruction you ever had?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-08, 02:07 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "you realize if you were to obtain this,..."
Well, the world is supposed to end in 2012,right? This may not have a direct effect as the world explodes or something immideately, but it could open a black hole which over time could destroy the atmosphere or something, but if Hawking is right and a small black hole was created it would just eat itself away and disappear.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-08, 02:25 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well, the world is supposed to end in..."
also in 2009 california is suppose to be disconnected from the US by a series of earthquakes. or so some part of the bible says
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-08, 02:31 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well, the world is supposed to end in..."
Well, the world is supposed to end in 2012,right? This may not have a direct effect as the world explodes or something immideately, but it could open a black hole which over time could destroy the atmosphere or something, but if Hawking is right and a small black hole was created it would just eat itself away and disappear.
I can't remember who it was, but some professor calculated how long it would take for a microscopic black hole to grow large enough to devour the earth, and it was something like 50 months, which creepily ended up meaning that if a microscopic black hole was created by the Large Hadron Collider when it goes live, the black hole would be large enough to devour the earth sometime in December 2012. Wish I could remember who it was.

Anyway, yeah, Hawking radiation would mean that the microscopic black hole would end up just dissipating, but Hawking radiation has never been experimentally demonstrated. As awesome as Stephen Hawking is, he's been wrong before, and he could be wrong about Hawking radiation.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-08, 02:37 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "also in 2009 california is suppose to..."
I'd like to see where it says that in the bible, but I wouldn't write it off. We have so many things that could go wrong at any point, but that's just a part of life. Apparently the Canary islands off the coast of Africa are on the verge of falling into the ocean off the mountains there, which could potentially cause a huge 300ft tidal wave of eastern seaboard destruction.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V