Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Tactics game on 2k3?
Posted 2005-12-05, 01:56 AM
Hey blue I was wondering if it was possible to make a tactics game with 2k3?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Aurvian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenAurvian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Aurvian

Posted 2005-12-05, 08:55 AM in reply to Aurvian's post "Tactics game on 2k3?"
Possible, but horribly horribly difficult (and not really worth it). It's just not made to do it, just like the massive amount of horrible Zelda games when it wasn't meant to do that either (and Zelda Classic does it perfectly, just have to learn the program). Unfortunately, there's no equivalent for tactics RPGs, because SimRPGMaker is horrible and not even fully translated, yet it's the 'best' of any programs I've found.

Anyway, to get back on subject, try to imagine something as simple as unit movement. You'd have to select the unit (likely by moving a "cursor" that's actually a charset on top of a character, capture the selection key, loop until you get a movement or a cancelation, check in the attempted movement's path to see whether or not you can move (and how many movement points it will take to move there), subtract movement points, actually move the unit in that direction, and repeat until you have 0 movement or hit enter. More fun is added if you want to be able to cancel any movement you've made or show the movement area before you make your character move (like in pretty much every TRPG I've played).

Edit: Check this out:

http://www.gamingw.net/games/59/?l=downloads (RM2k game)

You'll see how complex the system really is. Can't get it to run since it's missing files (guessing they used a different RTP for some stupid reason) but just check out the common events, for one thing. Supposedly it's only "15%-20% complete".

Last edited by BlueCube; 2005-12-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2005-12-05, 10:50 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Possible, but horribly horribly..."
That looks pretty cool but hella hard.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Curian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCurian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Curian

Posted 2005-12-06, 10:47 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Possible, but horribly horribly..."
BlueCube said:
Possible, but horribly horribly difficult (and not really worth it). It's just not made to do it, just like the massive amount of horrible Zelda games when it wasn't meant to do that either (and Zelda Classic does it perfectly, just have to learn the program). Unfortunately, there's no equivalent for tactics RPGs, because SimRPGMaker is horrible and not even fully translated, yet it's the 'best' of any programs I've found.

well let me get to workin then lol jking, anyhow i just wanted to know if it was possible
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Aurvian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenAurvian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Aurvian