Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Cool Bluecube,I have an Idea...
Posted 2004-09-15, 01:37 AM
About that community game thing,I have an Idea...
e.g.:3 guys plan to do a community game,but each of them
has its own idea.What will they do???...Suspense...
But of course,they'll make a poll,whichever game is the most voted,
that'll be the game to make.

What to you think,hmmm???
It's a great idea,isn't it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Big R is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenBig R is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Big R

Posted 2004-09-15, 04:45 AM in reply to Big R's post "Bluecube,I have an Idea..."
Sorry man, but thats usually along the lines of what happens, but than once people start making one, they will start to disagree with certain things and than someone will stop doing there work all together.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-09-15, 08:57 AM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Sorry man, but thats usually along the..."
Pretty much what I was going to say - it doesn't matter if the aspects are voted on or not, people will just quit over something that seems minor to everyone else, but they really think is important.

When you get a bunch of people who don't know each other well (or indeed at all), with the inability to communicate effectively, who aren't getting paid, who aren't getting their way with decisions, and are able to quit anytime without any consequences whatsoever, what do you think is going to happen?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-09-15, 09:48 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Pretty much what I was going to say -..."
What you just do, is give people certain things to do, and then once done, if sometjing is disagreed on, take a vote to change it, then take another vote on how to change. Then another vote on who's gonna change it, until everybody more or less agrees, or gets really tired of disagreeing. It may seem tiring, but I always win.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2004-09-15, 10:09 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What you just do, is give people..."
That simply wouldn't work - once I'm done with something that I worked days on, I'm not going back and changing the whole thing because it's decided now that instead of fighting an evil empire, we ARE an evil empire, and the main character is a sassy prince instead of a hero. Oh, and by the way, the name of the game is now completely different too, so that animation you did? You'll have to redo it.

Anything relatively minor has more effects than you can imagine. Simply making the hero a sword guy instead of a gun guy means that you have to:

1) Have the battle charset artist (or battlers, if you use RMXP for some reason) completely overhaul the art. And you can't simply paste a sword over a gun, because you hold them in a completely different way.
2) The event guy is now busy changing the names of the items, in the treasure chests as well as in conversation. Any place where the hero mentions his gun will have to change, obviously. Don't miss a single change, because it looks rather stupid if the hero is fighting and mentioning that he has to reload his sword.
3)Battle animations have to be completely changed, but this one isn't too bad. Just another hour or so perfecting it.
4)Techs have to be renamed and reanimated from scratch, because calling a spinning sword attack "bazooka" is just wrong. Any magic involving the hero's gun will have to be likewise changed. All references in-game to a skill will have to be edited as well.
5)If you have any art involving a gun (on the game over screen, for instance, the hero's gun is just lying on the ground) that will have to change.

There's more than that, actually.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

That works if someone is getting paid by the hour, and there's massive interest in the game, but for a random game that few people are actually going to play (and only like 10 that actually care that you made it) it's just not going to work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-09-15, 10:18 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "That simply wouldn't work - once I'm..."
My third little point of changing it, will now be changed to the majority of the vote who voted to change it, will either vote between them who is gonna change it, or leave. That way, the person who originally made it, doesn't have to do anything. But then there's the little bit of "I don't want you changing my work. You'll just muck it up."

Woah. You get kinda heated bout these things bluecube. Any disturbing past behind them? Sorry, I'm curious. Not seen anyone get like that before over a community game discussion about games that never get off the ground.

Radical new idea. Ban community games.

Last edited by Lenny; 2004-09-15 at 10:34 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny