Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

What monitor should I buy?
Posted 2008-10-08, 01:17 PM
I've been using an LG L1715S 17" flat panel display for the past 4.5 years, so I figured it's time for an upgrade. Primarily, I intend to use my new (hypothetical) monitor to view HD (1080p) movies, for painting purposes with my Wacom Intuos tablet, and as a HDMI-input display for my Xbox 360.

BenQ's G2400WD (24") seems to cover my "basic" needs. Simplicities aside, it offers a 1920x1200 px native resolution at 135 Hz, a 4000:1 (dynamic) image contrast ratio, a 2 ms response time and a 160° horizontal and vertical view angle (see the link for more details). It is also relatively inexpensive, but is supposedly prone to an occasional dead pixel or two.

Do you have any other suggestions? Have you had any bad experiences with BenQ? If so, tell me now, or I will know about your techno-treason in the year 2045 when the contents of your brain become downloadable!
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-10-08 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Who is your God now?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-10-08, 01:34 PM in reply to Chruser's post "What monitor should I buy?"
If you indend to limit yourself to 1080p resolution, get a nice 30" TV and use a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Otherwise this is nice
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-10-08, 01:53 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If you indend to limit yourself to..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
If you indend to limit yourself to 1080p resolution, get a nice 30" TV and use a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Otherwise this is nice

you. Do you think I'm made of ?

Seriously though, that's extremely drool-worthy, but I doubt it would fit on my desk to begin with. I'd find it preferable to remain in the $700 range, too.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-10-08, 03:16 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "http://www.zelaron.com/gear/screw.pngyou..."
There's a version without HDMI input (but with DVI-with-HDCP, which just needs a cable to connect to an HDMI source) for a bunch cheaper. The way I see it, if you're going to buy a good monitor, you'd best just buy the 30". You'll be there eventually, anyway. If for some reason I become in the market for a monitor again, I'll definately be buying some flavor of Dell 30".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-10-08, 06:12 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "There's a version without HDMI input..."
The Dell 30" monitors are nice. Lookswise, I think the Samsung monitors are pretty hot, as are the HP monitors.

My monitor (which I heartily recommend), is a 24" Hyundai IT with pretty much the same specs as the BenQ.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny