Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Posted 2003-09-20, 12:38 AM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Buy a new hard drive, I guess you are screwed. When you took out the hard drive, if you opened it up and touched it at all, it'll be shot to hell. I suggest just getting a new one, preferably one of the size you plan on using.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-09-20, 12:45 AM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Well I took out this comps ide pins out of my comp and swapped them back to normal and guess what, it says error loading os. same thing it said when i had the pin cords swapped. well no more ntldr message thingy. so wtf do i do now??? new HD??

Twenty-eight days... six hours... forty-two minutes... twelve seconds. That, is when the world will end.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-20, 12:51 AM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
I wouldn't bother trying anything else, from what I've read I could only recommend a completely new hard drive...
Just to be nice though, I'll condense this, print it out, and give it to my computer architecture teacher.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-09-20, 11:24 AM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Thanx a lot man! =D

Twenty-eight days... six hours... forty-two minutes... twelve seconds. That, is when the world will end.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-20, 10:18 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
I would suggest testing out the Hard drive in your other computer. Just to be sure of what is and isn't dead.

Either your Hard Drive is dead, or the IDE Controller on your Motherboard is dead. If the Hard Drive works in your other computer, then you know for sure it's not the motherboard. If it doesn't work, then you know the hard drive is bad, but I would also suggest testing a hard drive you know is good in the computer you pulled the 60GB from, just in case both the Mobo and HD are dead. Which would suck. =)
A+ Certified PC Tech Guy/Seitentaisei
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sqrl

Posted 2003-09-21, 08:52 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
I tried this already. I took the 20gb out of this one and put it in mine. it got 2 this dos laoding screen looking thing that it always does where it scans for viruses. it usualy does that then skips down and says c:/ and then skips a couple more lines and then loads. in this case it froze right there. im gonna play around with it tomorrow and if i cant get it workin or identify the problem im gonna have to buy a new HD =(

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-22, 02:54 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
One of the things everyone has overlooked may be that your CMOS settings may be set up wrong. You have to have a primary slave for your cpu to work. You need to set your Primary slave to be your HD, and secondary to be the cd-rom or something. You need to check that everything is plugged in too.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-09-22, 03:34 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
If it's the IDE controller on your motherboard, the worst case scenario is that you'll have to buy a PCI card with IDE controllers on it. The only problem with that would be if you're using all the PCI slots on your motherboard.

Either way you're looking at a total of $100 or less for a new HDD and PCI card IDE controller.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Syn is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSyn is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Syn

Posted 2003-09-22, 06:15 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
D3V i have tried all of that.

So do i need a new HD for sure?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-22, 09:56 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
D3V said:
One of the things everyone has overlooked may be that your CMOS settings may be set up wrong. You have to have a primary slave for your cpu to work. You need to set your Primary slave to be your HD, and secondary to be the cd-rom or something. You need to check that everything is plugged in too.
Um, you mean you have to have a Primary Master for the PC to boot.

The CD drive can be any of Primary Slave, Secondary Master, or Secondary Slave.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sqrl

Posted 2003-09-23, 04:39 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
ok i went and bought this thing called ultra ATA/133. high speed dual channel ultra ATA/133 controller. its a pci card that comes with 2 IDE slots. i went to windows setup hit f6 put in the floppy and installed it. but yet it refuses to recognize my hard drive that i plugged into there. wtf???
also when i boot now it says: press f3 to enter config utility or somethin. i do that and it goes to this sscreen with this on it:
press f1 to assign first (HDD) set. and press f2 to remove it. i press f1 and it says to assign a number. waht do i type? i tried 1 and 2 and still no HD.

EDIT:
Well after doin some stuff and messin around with it i got it to recognize the hard drive and start doing the reformat. i deleted the partition, created a new partition, restarted and then formatted. and now once again its stuck at 0%... New HD?? btw, i did this using my pci slot thing i bought.

Last edited by zeal311; 2003-09-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-23, 07:50 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
You should be able to pop in the microsoft cd and it'll go from there, where you can format the HD. And thanks SQRL, thats what I meant, lol. You didn't need a controller in the first place, you just have to put windows on your hd (from what it sounds like to me). If you bought your computer from a company and ask them for some technical support, possibly a free check-up.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-09-24, 02:09 AM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Er..... I would suggest returning that controller you just bought and consulting a tech in real life first.

Keep in mind that people can only help you so much on the internet.

Anyways, what exactly are you using to restart? Do you have a boot disk or something or are you actually booting from your WinXP CD?

If the computer is recognizing your hard drive now, then you should be able to put your WinXP CD in the drive, restart your computer, and start setup. You will have to push F6 and insert the floppy like you said, as Windows classifies high speed ATA controllers as SCSI/Promise controllers, which makes no sense.

Seriously though, how much did this controller cost you and did you price it against the cost of a new motherboard? =\
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sqrl

Posted 2003-09-24, 03:19 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Its hard to explain what to do on the computer, if I was at your house I could probably troubleshoot and find out whats wrong.

Hey Sqrl, your A+ certified? Are you outta high school? I'm gona start looking for jobs as soon as I get to take my test for the certification.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2003-09-24, 05:43 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
the thing i bought was only 25 bucks. my friend works at best buy and got me a discount on it which is why i feel kind of bad returning it. I am using the windows XP CD.

yea sqrl i did everything u said in that 4th paragragh but whne i format it it just stays at 0% doesnt matter if i have the ATA card or am just using my regular IDE ports it just stays at 0%. if you help me do this i will be eternaly in debt.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-24, 06:52 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Close this Thread please. Zeal311 Cannot comply with the directions he was given over and over, there is no point in wasting space here. You have to set it up to recognize your HD! Set it as the primary MASTER. You have a disk to come with it, you probably didn't hook it up right. Have a professional come to your house and fix it.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2003-09-24, 07:27 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
OMG your soooooo ignorant. I did that you moron. Do not talk like you know whats going on because your completely ignorant. When my HD was plugged into my normal IDE port i had it set as primary master and when i got this card thing it wouldnt recognize it until i installed it and then when i restarted it it wouldnt recognize again. STFU thnx

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-25, 12:37 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
Lol, I'm not ignorant, my computer works just fine. I didn't hook up my shit wrong and probably get esd onto it when I was putting it in. You don't need a controller card your dork ass unless you have more than one HD. The thing is your probably trying to make it detect a different hd/old hd that isn't there/maybe its the wrong port. YOU NEED TO CALL A PROFESSIONAL to come to your house and look at it, because you aren't explaining something right.

1. Your HD is dead
2. Your leaving something out
3. You have a jumper set to the wrong setting, you might have flipped it on accident.

Just call someone to come in and look at it. Or go take the POS back to your friend and get a new one. Or even better yet, when you buy stuff from BestBuy they install it for you... have them do it.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2003-09-25, 02:43 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
The hardcore computer nerd calls me a dork. That's ironic. Your apparently blind. I bouth the card because my IDE drives on my motherboard may not be working properly. I didn't hook anything up wroung. STFU. Stop posting in the help forum when your too stupid to help anyone. Yea and i dont need anyone to install this. You plug it into your pci slots. NOT rocket science.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

zeal311

Posted 2003-09-25, 09:33 PM in reply to zeal311's post "My Comp Died"
It's not rocket science but it is technical.

As D3V has pointed out already (although a bit rudely) we can no longer help you from this point on. As D3V also said, if we were there we could easily help you, but we're not, and the problem does require a professional tech present. So your best bet is to take the machine to your closest local computer store that does repairs, or phone and have a tech come to your home to check it out.

There is only so much that a user should try and a whole realm of stuff that should be done by professional techs. In fact you've already gone a lot further then a standard home user would, which is ok, but since there are still no results you have to call a tech. =)

D3V - I've been out of high school for a while, but just got my A+ recently. It's really not that hard at all, just expensive. $70 CAD for a study guide, and $450 CAD to take the two tests. If your thinking of doing it though, either do it ASAP or wait until later in 3rd quarter when they update the exams and then start studying for the new ones. =)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sqrl