Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Halo 2
Posted 2003-06-12, 08:20 PM
Halo 2

The Eight-Minute Demo That Rocked The World

Halo 2 still has no release date in sight other than the ambigous "first quarter 2004." But in the hearts and minds of the people that witnessed the eight-minute Halo 2 demo at E3 (or on the internet), it meant nothing. No one cared when it looked it would eventually release, everyone just knew they wanted it.

The footage, which was being played in real-time by a member of Bungie's development team, starts off with Master Chief and a squad of marines descending into the war-torn city of new Mombasa. After landing and passing by a number of injured marines and various squads defending the city, MC begins a whirlwind of action that never lets up again until the demo is complete.
After sniping some oncoming Covenant forces with marines figthing and screaming his side, MC unloads a grenade into a group of unsuspecting foes that gives us the first glimpes of Halo 2's physics engine Debris flies everywhere and the Covenant troops splatter. It is also important to note that all the textures, models, lighting, volumetric smoke, particle effects, reflections, and any other kind of graphic wonder buzz-word you can think of is turned on to its naximum capacity and looking absolutely delicios.

Following the disposal of another hrode of alien forces pouring into the city, MC grabs hold of a nearby mounted machine gun and starts to rain death on the soldiers below. Cars explode (complete with shock waves) and slide from the force of the bullets. things catch fire. Mayhem ensues. While all this is going on, the player can see a gigantic Covenant weapon unleashing massive energy bursts. At this point, in a scripted event, an airstrike flies in from above and obliterates it. We later learned that in the final game, MC will get a chance to control one of these super-weapons. Once the explosion subsides, Master Chief turns toward a sergeant on his left and is given a second machine gun that MC immediately begins to dual-wield. Boo-ya! This is an example of how the player can trade weapons with other marines in the game - another new addition to this sequel.

Slicing through more forces and even peeking around a corner 9with the new lean feature currently on d-pad), MC and a squad of marines make their way to a waiting Warthog. He takes gunner, and so begins a ride through city blasing any and everything in sight. this section could certainly be mistaken for a track-based shooter much like Star Fox, but the marines driving the vehicles actually have AI that determines the best route and how to get you in position to unleash a barrage of munitions. For the demo's sake, this wasn't very amazing, but it most definitely opens the door for some great sequences in the final release.

During this portion of the game, Phantoms (a new covenant ship) fly overhead and drop more alien forces into the mix. Amazingly, one even lands on the hood of your warthog. At this point, MC hops off and unloads a mellee combo on the newcomers. That's right. A melee combo. More fighting follows and then a fleet of Ghosts come into the fray. In the absolute high point of the demo, MC grabs a passing ghost and then proceeds to knock the pilo onto the street. This is an example of how the player will be able to overtake moving vehicles. Bungie was unwilling to divulge more info on whether Covenant forces would be able to do the same, but the sparkle in their eye certainly made it seem so.

At this point, Master Chief takes off from the battle and a chase scene commenses where he barely slides through a set of closing blast doors and sends him skidding (complete with sparks) to a stop. He stands, and like rain from the heavens, hundreds of pods descend onto the city. Four imbed themselves around him. The pod doors open and out pops the new and improved Elite, who then brandish dead energy blades. MC takes out a glowing grenade and the demo fades black. Game Informer later learned that Master Chief will likely be able to use the energy blade this adventure. Let the waiting continue.

Taken out of my GameInformer magazine

Oh my God! This game is going to be badass!

EDIT: I will try to find a place to download the demo and post it here.

Last edited by NonGayMan; 2003-06-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-13, 10:14 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
Ugh, I couldn't read whole thing (lack of time on my part), but I just wanted to comment that I can not wait as well for it to be released. Brute Force was a dissappointment, but this will rock!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-06-13, 01:54 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
BF was fuckin pwn, Titus, what are you talking about? But yea, this game will definately be up there with Half Life 2.

Just finished the download. This 8 minute trailer is so f'in awesome. I'm going insane waiting for this game.

Last edited by uncapped; 2003-06-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-06-17, 04:30 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
CANT WAIT! Halo was my favorite game and Halo 2 is gunna kick ass! i just hope that its not a dissapointment like some other sequels
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WakeUpFast66 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenWakeUpFast66 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

WakeUpFast66

Posted 2003-06-18, 10:39 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
Well, BF is cool, but not HALO. It defintely quells my urges to just go berzerk and shoot and kill shit, but not like HALO could..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-07-01, 05:44 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
Quote:
uncapped Says: BF was fuckin pwn, Titus, what are you talking about? But yea, this game will definately be up there with Half Life 2.
I have to say that half life 2 was a shitty game and halo 2 will annihilate any xbox this following year when it is released. will sell millions in 1 day.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
The1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenThe1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

The1

Posted 2003-07-01, 06:17 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
I doubt you played either of them. Unlike playing XBox2, though, it IS possible for you to have, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-07-01, 06:21 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
Dude ur a fucking moron! get off my case pm me if u wanna start shit don't bring it to channels.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
The1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenThe1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

The1

Posted 2003-07-20, 05:31 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "Halo 2"
I know everyone that has Xbox is planning to buy Halo2... all I have to say, it better be as good or better than the first. I hate sequals that suck ass, but I bought cuz the first owned.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer