Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Anyone Know how to make a game on c++
Posted 2002-12-15, 02:48 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to make a game using c++. I tryed to make a game but it was not worth the hard work. I tryed to get a manual but there were none on the websites i looked on. If u find any good sites post them plz.

Last edited by HellSlayer; 2002-12-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HellSlayer is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHellSlayer is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

HellSlayer

Posted 2002-12-15, 07:23 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
i doubt your just going to get a manual on how to make a game. Unless you want to create something short and trivial games take a long time to make and are a lot of hardwork. You have to be really good at c++ then have some artists and stuff, its not just as simple as typing in 15 lines. If it was everyone would be doing it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2002-12-16, 08:11 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
games normally have thousands of lines of code, thats why there are bigass companys out there like blizzard, but, check some sites and the'll have souce code you can just add on too.
--Wóót--
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dhelds is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDhelds is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dhelds

Posted 2002-12-24, 01:47 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
i know there are sample code's for directx out there on c++ and vb. but if you're looking to make the next diablo, just look at how long blizzard is taking just with the patch (thats with 2 guys working on it, but im assuming they know what theyre doing too)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
drivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendrivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

drivehappy

Posted 2002-12-25, 07:26 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
drivehappy said:
im assuming they know what theyre doing too)
i dont quite agree, lol well i do im just saying it's taking them LONG enough and if they would get off their fat asses im sure a patch would only take 3-5 months instead of a year+
.....Broke the rubba, busted another all up in ya motha, so how u feel like havin another baby brotha? Wha? dont studda, ya pants hangin so low ya new baby brotha can be ya new lova!......
My Personal Website!
www.dimensionforums.com
ÖWÑëÐ
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"

Posted 2002-12-26, 07:20 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
well i've worked on some simple directdraw games for a semimester project, and it took me at least two months to even remotely get it to what i wanted to do. Then there were still a crap load of class A bugs in there. So I think it's just the administration at Blizzard for not putting more people on the patch, but I hear that its in testing now, so hopefully itll come out soon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
drivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendrivehappy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

drivehappy

Posted 2002-12-26, 08:21 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
heh i made a very simple guessing game in c++ in class... hehe and some other useless random crap my teacher made me do...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
vec is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenvec is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

vec

Posted 2003-01-02, 12:09 AM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
If you're serious about making a game then try www.libsdl.org

I found that helpful...although I don't know exactly what type of game you are talking about building.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-01-04, 04:53 AM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
"CRØNîC-KîLLå" said:
im sure a patch would only take 3-5 months instead of a year+
Blizzard announced the 1.10 patch 7 months ago..pretty sad isn't it? They released information letting people know that a lot was going to change in the next patch...mostly the new type of characters; the ladder characters...This I can imagine taking up most of the time, and with 2 guys working on it...It won't be out for a long time.

Uh, but yeah...programming any type of graphical game takes a lot of skill, almost impossible for just 1 person to create, in my experience, i've never been assigned with another programmer with the ability to draw a half decent stick figure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dalton is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDalton is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dalton

Posted 2003-01-04, 06:27 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
I've seen some prebuilt engines that can really shorten the process up, almost make it feasible for 1 person to do it.

Hmm oddly enough, that's a trait I recognize. Every programmer I know cannot draw at all, however every artist I know (including me) cannot code worth crap. It's a conspiracy!!! Oo;
What I've learned from living in this country : America is a bad word, so is Religion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Tai

Posted 2003-01-05, 01:16 AM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
heh...what tai sais is so true.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-01-25, 05:40 PM in reply to HellSlayer's post "Anyone Know how to make a game on c++"
HellSlayer said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to make a game using c++. I tryed to make a game but it was not worth the hard work. I tryed to get a manual but there were none on the websites i looked on. If u find any good sites post them plz.
I'd reccomend Windows Game Programming for Dummies. It takes you all the way from your first Windows C++ program to your first full blown 3D game.

ISBN: 0-7645-0337-5
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MKR is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMKR is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MKR

Posted 2008-02-23, 07:13 AM in reply to MKR's post starting "I'd reccomend Windows Game Programming..."
Iw ant to know how to make a game using c++...aid me please
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mahmoudbahaa is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmahmoudbahaa is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mahmoudbahaa

Posted 2008-02-23, 08:57 AM in reply to mahmoudbahaa's post starting "Iw ant to know how to make a game using..."
Hello old thread. New post notifications can have unusual side-effects!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MKR is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMKR is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MKR

Posted 2008-02-23, 10:17 AM in reply to MKR's post starting "Hello old thread. New post..."
I see what's going on here.

MKR set it up to get a notification whenever this post is posted in, so when mahmoudbahaa posted, MKR got a notification and came back.

STRANGE!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-02-23, 10:36 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I see what's going on here. MKR set..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I see what's going on here.

MKR set it up to get a notification whenever this post is posted in, so when mahmoudbahaa posted, MKR got a notification and came back.

STRANGE!
How very astute of you.

And there's another notification.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

MKR

Posted 2008-02-23, 10:41 AM in reply to MKR's post starting "How very astute of you. :D And..."
Stick around, you might have fun.

And if you don't stick around I know how to bring you back now anyway :P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-02-23, 10:46 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Stick around, you might have fun. ..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Stick around, you might have fun.

And if you don't stick around I know how to bring you back now anyway :P
Problem is, all the themes here make me want to burn my eyeballs out. I wouldn't mind sticking around if it weren't so uncomfortable.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

MKR

Posted 2008-02-23, 11:05 AM in reply to MKR's post starting "Problem is, all the themes here make me..."
You don't like Synthesis? It's pretty slick.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-02-23, 11:07 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You don't like Synthesis? It's pretty..."
!King_Amazon! said:
You don't like Synthesis? It's pretty slick.
There are plenty of slick web interfaces that are a PITA to use. :P

At the moment I frequent the forums at Penny Arcade. That's a good example of the sort of layout I like.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

MKR