Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Not really a new pc, but...
Posted 2006-07-12, 04:27 PM
It's not a new PC. I just used a couple comps that were laying around the house. This is my first time doing this, and so far I have gotten everything together. I push the power button and I see the lights on my disc drives light up, and I hear and feel the HDD spinning, yet there is no video on my monitor. When the monitor is unplugged from the comp, there is a repeating message saying no signal. I plug it in and the message goes away. So, I assume that means that it has made a connection with the MB, but maybe I didn't connect a wire somewhere or something. Need help with this.

This is what I have:

Motherboard: Not sure, AMD build, 2 memory slots, 2 IDE slots, 1 Floppy slot, built in sound and video

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ATA IV, 40 Gbytes, Model ST340016A

DVD-ROM: Delta, OIP-DV1200A, Manufactured February 2001

CD-ROM: Mitsumi, Model CR-4809TE, Manufactured December 2001

Power Unit: EZ Media, QC Pass 2003, Pentium 4 sticker (dunno if that means much).

Processor: AMD Athlon 64, Approx. 2001

NOTE: Power Unit is '03 because it had to be replaced. Comp was originally built in about 2001.

If you could use pictures to help explain what to do, that would be quite helpful. Thanks.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2006-07-12, 04:44 PM in reply to Draco2003's post "Not really a new pc, but..."
If you're using onboard video (no video card), you need to make sure that bios is set to onboard video instead of PCI or AGP or whatever (or vice versa). Just make sure that the video output in your bios matches what you're using.

One way to test it (I'm assuming you're using onboard video since you didn't mention a video card) is to borrow a video card from another computer, put it in, and try the monitor with that instead of the onboard. If it works, then you need to go into bios, change it to onboard, then you can put the card back where you got it from.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-07-13, 12:10 PM in reply to Draco2003's post "Not really a new pc, but..."
Hmmm... when you start the computer, does the monitor come on, show this and that, and then turn itself off?

Try starting the computer in Safe-Mode and see if the monitor stays on. If it does, then you've probably got the drivers for a graphics card installed, or you've not got your integreated graphics card installed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-07-13, 03:40 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Hmmm... when you start the computer,..."
It's hard to go to safe mode if you don't have anything on the screen.

Let's clarify the problem, though. Do you get any picture? Bios, RAM counting, etc?
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-07-13, 03:46 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "It's hard to go to safe mode if you..."
True, but he might have a picture right at the start.

When our graphics card died on it's arse, we still got a picture until the drivers started up - about the same time as the XP Loading screen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-07-13, 05:38 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "True, but he might have a picture right..."
Actually no...no picture or anything...

And I tried using another graphics card, but still nothing. I know the monitor works, because I am using it on another computer, which I happen to be on right now.

My neighbor said it might be the Processor, because everything gets power, the HDD spins, the disk drives start their warm up stuff, but not a single thing is on screen. I hope it's not something with the motherboard. The only other motherboard is a crappy one that came in a prebuilt computer with no room for any expansion, just 3 slots for modem-type crap. And it is a crappy Intel Celeron processor...from like...who knows how long ago.

If it is the processor, does anyone know where I can get one with a good performance/price curve?

Also, does it matter how I have the drives wired? I have the HDD by itself, and the CD-ROM as a slave, DVD-ROM as master, and no floppy. Don't need those no more right? HDD is on the primary IDE and the discs are on secondary IDE.

UPDATE: Here is the pretty much the same motherboard I have...dunno if this helps.
R.I.P
Pontiac

[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2006-07-13, 06:15 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "Actually no...no picture or anything......"
You can boot without any HDDs, and you'll still get a picture. It's not that.

Is there any beeping or anything? If so, it's most likely your RAM.

If there's no beeping, I say that it's your bios. You can try resetting your bios if you have the manual (or can look it up online). It'll just take setting a jumper and then giving it power. That should default it back to onboard display. Otherwise, try onboard video, an agp video card, and a pci video card (and pci-e if you have it). if any of them works, then it's definately your bios.

Try and report back.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-07-14, 04:50 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "You can boot without any HDDs, and..."
Bob probably straight ganked your pc with his 1337 h4x0r skillz prolly.

My friend couldn't get his to boot because of Ram before.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-07-14, 10:43 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Bob probably straight ganked your pc..."
How exactly do I go about changing my bios/RAM? And I pulled the speaker out, so I don't know if there are any beep-beep-boop-whistles. I hate those little things...anywho...thanks for helping.
R.I.P
Pontiac

[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Draco2003

Posted 2006-07-19, 09:11 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "How exactly do I go about changing my..."
Well, the speaker is your best friend for boot problems. Now we don't even know if you're getting past the POST. Hrm... do you have 1 or 2 sticks of RAM?

If you've got 2 sticks, then pull the left one out. Boot up. Did it work?
Put the left one back in. Pull the right one out. Boot up. Did it work?

If neither of those worked, or if you only have one stick of RAM, I'm still going to go with bios. If you don't have a picture (and can't get one through any video cards that I'm going to assume you haven't tried yet) then you're going to have to hard reset the bios.

I'm going to need you to find out what motherboard you have. Basically the same will not work. Get in there and get a model number or something. There should be a few strings of numbers and letters on your motherboard. Just write down a couple and Google them. I'll do it for you if I must...

Anyhow, at that point, we can get a manual online and go ahead and set it back to onboard video. *crosses fingers* Hopefully, that'll fix your problem.
D3V said:

Last edited by Medieval Bob; 2006-07-21 at 06:52 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-07-21, 02:40 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Well, the speaker is your best friend..."
Bios or bad video card.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2006-07-21, 06:52 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "Bios or bad video card."
Thanks for your input there buddy.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-07-22, 10:53 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Thanks for your input there buddy."
Lol, I didn't read the whole thread, just the first post.

And thats pretty much what it has to be, unless RAM cards are dead or something.

I'll read the entire thing if he tries what I said, and it still doesn't work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win