Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Adobe Flash
Posted 2012-12-02, 09:07 PM
While there's plenty of features useful for scripted animation, is it just me or is ActionScript a pain? The debugger is crap for one. Also, the movie objects don't get linked together until the first frame, so initialization is stupid. And then there's how stuff doesn't work in a subclass that doesn't change anything that works in the original class.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-12-04, 06:18 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Adobe Flash"
I used ActionScript a way long time ago and all I remember was one pain in the ass after another. Luckily I've changed to using Monkey which converts to AS, and other, files without a hitch. That is, if you're just making games.

If you're looking for pure programming, not the visual side of flash, NME or Monkey are some pretty nice choices for not having to write directly to AS in my opinion.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2012-12-17, 09:36 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I used ActionScript a way long time ago..."
I took a class in it. It took me forever to even make a ball bounce according to gravity....
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-12-17, 11:37 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I took a class in it. It took me..."
It really shouldn't be that difficult...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-12-18, 08:30 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "It really shouldn't be that difficult..."
You'd think so. I had problems with it updating while the ball was technically in the floor. I had it detect when it hit the floor by when it passed the frame (obviously) but then it would switch the vector and update the position but the resulting position was still under the floor and it would do it again. So the ball would bounce like 4 times then get stuck in the floor.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-12-18, 10:17 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "You'd think so. I had problems with it..."
There are ways of dealing with that. One is to have a finer resolution of time for the physics simulation than the framerate. If you only have one moving object and static obstacles, though, you can set it up to simulate either to the time limit, or until the next transition (hit an object, rolling up instead of down, etc.), then keep doing it untill the required time (the frame interval) is elapsed; this way you will have no strange results, but it doesn't scale well to complicated simulations.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-12-19, 12:47 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "There are ways of dealing with that...."
What I ended up doing was adding a timer to the simulation so that when the ball hit the "ground" at least 2 frames went by before it would preform another collision check. This actually proved to work very well and even through extensive testing I never found a problem with it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin