Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Computer submersed in water?
Posted 2009-06-22, 11:45 AM
[13:02] Chruser: Speaking of which, I still want to put an old computer in deionized water and run it.
[13:02] Chruser: In theory, it should work.

I disagree. You can remove the ions from water, but the water itself will form ions by decomposing into hydrogen and hydroxide. The computer might even cause the release of hydrogen gas then ignite it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-06-22, 11:47 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Computer submersed in water?"
You are both wrong, it won't work and it will not ignite.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-22, 12:01 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Computer submersed in water?"
WetWired said: [Goto]
[13:02] Chruser: Speaking of which, I still want to put an old computer in deionized water and run it.
[13:02] Chruser: In theory, it should work.

I disagree. You can remove the ions from water, but the water itself will form ions by decomposing into hydrogen and hydroxide. The computer might even cause the release of hydrogen gas then ignite it
Actually, if your computer is not filled with dust (i.e., it's free of contaminants) and it has a reasonable amount of flow of new deionized water, it would work just fine. I remember reading about some guys submerging a computer (dust and all) in deionized water and it worked for 5 minutes. Theoretically, it could last indefinitely with the right setup.

But it's not very practical, and there are better alternatives.

EDIT: Oh, and the idea that the computer would cause the release and subsequent ignition of hydrogen gas is just absurd.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-22, 12:35 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Actually, if your computer is not..."
Tell me the setup, I wanna try with my computer.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-06-22, 12:37 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Tell me the setup, I wanna try with my..."
I just told you what you need. Clean your computer's internal parts until they're devoid of contaminants, set up some sort of flow to keep fresh deionized water in the computer, the end.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-22, 12:38 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I just told you what you need. Clean..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
I just told you what you need. Clean your computer's internal parts until they're devoid of contaminants, set up some sort of flow to keep fresh deionized water in the computer, the end.
Oh, ok.
You said "with the right setup" so I figured there was probably more.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-06-22, 12:48 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Oh, ok. You said "with the right..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
Oh, ok.
You said "with the right setup" so I figured there was probably more.
It's like putting a weed eater motor in a H1 Hummer, it's stupid, impractical, and has no real purpose.

But in all seriousness, it would be cool to see.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-22, 01:44 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Actually, if your computer is not..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
EDIT: Oh, and the idea that the computer would cause the release and subsequent ignition of hydrogen gas is just absurd.
Why is that? The positively charged hydrogen ions will naturally move toward the negative power supply and assuming there is exposed leads, they will gain electrons, form H2 and bubble into the air. If the actual PSU is in the air and in close proximity, it could be a source of ignition.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-06-22, 01:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Why is that? The positively charged..."
Why is that? The positively charged hydrogen ions will naturally move toward the negative power supply and assuming there is exposed leads, they will gain electrons, form H2 and bubble into the air. If the actual PSU is in the air and in close proximity, it could be a source of ignition.
I would bet money that it would fault before igniting.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-06-22, 01:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Why is that? The positively charged..."
Bah .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Bah ."
You're all a bunch of HUGE FUCKING NERDS

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:13 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "You're all a bunch of HUGE FUCKING NERDS"
JRwakebord said: [Goto]
You're all a bunch of HUGE FUCKING NERDS
You're running around dressed as Captain Obvious, so I wouldn't say anything if I was you.
Skurai

Last edited by Skurai; 2009-06-22 at 02:20 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:17 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "You're running around dressed as..."
Captain Obvious, fucktard. If you're going to mock me do it right.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:20 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Captain Obvious, fucktard. If you're..."
JRwakebord said: [Goto]
Captain Obvious, fucktard. If you're going to mock me do it right.
That's what I said, Captain blind. >_>
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:29 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That's what I said, Captain blind...."
Nice edit.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:47 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That's what I said, Captain blind...."
See the little link under your post that says "Last edited by Skurai;"? Click it and, Wikipedia styley, it shows you a comparison between the original post and the edit.

Captain America indeed!

---

The only way to make entirely sure that it's free of contaminants is to not only assemble the rig in a clean room, but manufacture the components in the clean room. Even then, I doubt it would work.

Theoretically, maybe. Practically, however, you can never get it clean enough to run indefinitely.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-22, 02:48 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "See the little link under your post..."
I'm telling mythbusters.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-06-22, 06:23 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Why is that? The positively charged..."

Ideally, I figure that the whole computer (including the PSU) should be submersed in an airtight container with a small opening for a power cable. An air seal needs to be installed around the power cable to prevent contaminants (e.g. dust) from reaching the water. It's possible that the self-ionization of water (0.055 µS/cm of conductivity even for de-ionized water) will itself make it impossible to run a computer in de-ionized water, but my guess is that it has a pretty good chance to work.

It's difficult to tell how much ions will interfere with the functionality of the computer, since they can interact with each other in so many different ways.

The point of the setup is that the water can be used as a more effective heat sink than air.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-06-22 at 06:32 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-06-23, 02:40 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Ideally, I figure that the whole..."
Why not use tested methods and submerse the machine in cooking oil?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-23, 03:44 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "See the little link under your post..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
See the little link under your post that says "Last edited by Skurai;"? Click it and, Wikipedia styley, it shows you a comparison between the original post and the edit.
Is that a mod perk? I can't do that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G