Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Anime Corner

Posted 2008-07-15, 09:44 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "My first anime, and I suspect a lot of..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
My first anime, and I suspect a lot of people's, was Speed Racer.
Oddly enough, I don't even remember seeing speed racer, even once...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-03-25, 04:45 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Bump! I haven't a clue about my..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
Bump!

I haven't a clue about my frist anime cartoon (most probably Pokemon, though), but I can remember that the first anime film I watched was Akira. I've since watched Spirited Away, and last Friday I watched Princess Mononoke. Methinks I ought to find the other films the guy who made those two has done, as I really enjoyed the two I've seen.

What's Howl's Moving Castle like?
Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump.

If Pokemon is counted as an anime series, then that was my first taste, but I haven't seen the whole thing (as a corridor we ordered the first series of the Indigo League, so I'm slowly making my through the first 30 episodes from the start).

The first full anime series I've seen took me all of Monday, and it rocked my socks! Cowboy Bebop!! Utterly fantastic. The characters are interesting, the plots are quite nice, the underlying story is good, the ending is satisfactory (even if sad), and though you're not shown too much of it the series Universe is brilliant.

Oh, and Ed. It's only been a couple of days, but I'm really missing Ed.

Other than that, I've seen all the Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa had to be by far my favourite), Akira, and the Cowboy Bebop film.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-03-25, 06:15 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump. If..."
Rumpity Dumpity Bump-bump.

If Pokemon is counted as an anime series, then that was my first taste, but I haven't seen the whole thing (as a corridor we ordered the first series of the Indigo League, so I'm slowly making my through the first 30 episodes from the start).

The first full anime series I've seen took me all of Monday, and it rocked my socks! Cowboy Bebop!! Utterly fantastic. The characters are interesting, the plots are quite nice, the underlying story is good, the ending is satisfactory (even if sad), and though you're not shown too much of it the series Universe is brilliant.

Oh, and Ed. It's only been a couple of days, but I'm really missing Ed.

Other than that, I've seen all the Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa had to be by far my favourite), Akira, and the Cowboy Bebop film.

I agree that Nausicaa is the best Miyazaki film so far. Grave of the Fireflies is another, excellent movie by Studio Ghibli, although Miyazaki's involvement in it was minimal.

Anyway, here are a few recommendations for you:
  • Trigun - On par with Cowboy Bebop. A must-watch.
  • Ghost in the Shell - Both of the films (at least the first two ones) and the two SAC series.
  • Texhnolyze - Probably too weird and dark unless you can appreciate the works of Nietzsche and Lovecraft. It's my favorite anime series.
  • Serial Experiments: Lain - Another "weird" and psychedelic show that tackles many of the profound questions of reality, time, sentience and the conglomeration of selves into hive mind-like structures.
  • Kaiji - A philosophical show about gambling with a plot that plummets into an abyss of cruelty and darkness. It has kept me more on edge than any other show that I've watched.
  • Last Exile - A Victorian-style capital-class airship warfare anime. A bit like a Nausicaa and Laputa crossover.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-03-26 at 08:35 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-03-26, 07:13 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I agree that Nausicaa is the best..."
The sister of someone on my corridor has the whole Studio Ghibli collection, I think, so he's going to rip them to his hard drive and bring them up for next term.

I've heard quite a bit about GitS, so I'll definitely give that a lookee. Last Exile sounds very interesting, and I'll hunt down Trigun. If I come across any of the others I'll see what they're like. Which of them are completed series, and which are ongoing?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-04-02, 04:54 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I didn't know it was anime at the time,..."
Sovereign said: [Goto]
First anime I bought was VanDread.
Old thread, I know, but Vandread is da shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2009-04-02, 10:59 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "The sister of someone on my corridor..."
The sister of someone on my corridor has the whole Studio Ghibli collection, I think, so he's going to rip them to his hard drive and bring them up for next term.

I've heard quite a bit about GitS, so I'll definitely give that a lookee. Last Exile sounds very interesting, and I'll hunt down Trigun. If I come across any of the others I'll see what they're like. Which of them are completed series, and which are ongoing?

Kaiji is the only ongoing series, but I don't expect episodes from the next season to be aired anytime soon.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-04-02, 07:57 PM in reply to hotdog's post starting "Robotech, Voltron, Thunder Cats, and..."
Star Blazers,Robotech, Voltron, Thunder Cats, these were the first anime I ever saw.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
AceOneZero is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenAceOneZero is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

AceOneZero

Posted 2009-04-03, 01:35 AM in reply to AceOneZero's post starting "Star Blazers,Robotech, Voltron, Thunder..."
I only recently started watching star blazers. Kinda annoying that it doesn't have any sub track. Don't care too much for the american voices.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2009-04-17, 03:52 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I only recently started watching star..."
i'm finishing line barrels of iron now : ( and since i dont' want any mainstream animes (naruto) i'll just do something else.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2009-07-20, 03:32 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "The sister of someone on my corridor..."
I haven't hunted down any of the ones Chruser suggested yet, but since that post I've made my way through Samurai Champloo (subs), and I'm on to episode four of Outlaw Star (dubs. ).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-21, 08:18 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I haven't hunted down any of the ones..."
I recently watched Fullmetal Alchemist.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-21, 08:20 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I recently watched Fullmetal Alchemist."
Been watching Saikano recently. It's kinda depressing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 08:21 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Been watching Saikano recently. It's..."
pokemon.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-21, 12:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "pokemon."
I've been watching Trigun (dub) and Evangelion (dub, for some reason).
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-22, 01:14 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I've been watching Trigun (dub) and..."
okay now, chewtoyboy666

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-22, 01:39 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "okay now, chewtoyboy666"
D3V said: [Goto]
okay now, chewtoyboy666
Ow yeaaaaaa... I remember that. That's when people thought I was a Satanist, right?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-22, 01:43 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Ow yeaaaaaa... I remember that. That's..."
lolwut

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-07-22, 01:48 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "lolwut"
D3V said: [Goto]
lolwut
It happened a while back. I was mistaken for some other Skurai...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-22, 02:32 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "It happened a while back. I was..."
wait, so which one is the pedophile

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-07-22, 11:53 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "wait, so which one is the pedophile"
The other one....
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai