Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Since life enjoys shitting on me so much
Posted 2010-06-19, 10:07 AM
I got fired from where I was working and now must find something to fill the void while I job hunt.

So I'm planning on directing a play in the near-to-immediate future and I'm trying to decide on what show I want to do. Basically, I'm hoping someone's seen some of the shows I'm going to list (I'll still post a synopsis in case you haven't) and will be able to give me some insight as to whether it's good or not.

Shows I'm considering:

Goethe's "Faustus": A story about a doctor named Faustus who makes a deal with the devil to be young again and woo a young girl, who ends up finding out about the deal. (This one I've read the abridged version back in my German class and it's got a great story)

Steve Yockey's "Cartoon": A social commentary with cartoon characters and toys going crazy and killing each other while a character known as the Dictator tries to get her hammer back so they can all go back to living their mundane lives.

Charles Busch's "Die! Mommy! Die!": An out of work TV star murders her husband with the aid of a poisoned suppository. Her daughter comes to find out and convincersher brother to avenge their father's death by killing their mother and end up slipping their mother some LSD in her after-dinner coffee to get her to admit to her crime.

Jennifer Haley's "Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom": A dark comedy where parents find their kids addicted to an online horror game where they have to smash through zombies to escape the neighborhood, but slowly the line between reality and fiction begins to blur and soon both parents and players realize that fear has a life of its own.

Buddy Thomas and Kenneth Elliott's "Devil Boys from Beyond": Summer of 1957 is a scorcher and something strange is going on in the swamps of Lizard Lick, Florida. With rumors of missing people and giant spaceships running rampant, star NYC reporter Mattie Van Buren races down in search of her next Pulitzer, her booze-hound ex-husband, Gregory Graham in tow, and her arch-enemy, Lucinda Marsh hot on her heels to scoop her story. Flying Saucers! Backstabbing Bitches! Muscle hunks and Men in Pumps!

Thomas Bradshaw's "Prophet": A man wakes up one morning and decides he must kill himself. He is angry with himself for not hitting his wife every time she has an independent though (as Abraham and Moses would have done). After she dies and God reveals to him that he is the new Prophet, the man takes a new wife, dresses her in slave chains, and begins to preach his newfound gospel of male domination. An obvious dark comedy.

I'd love to tackle "Evil Dead: The Musical", but I highly doubt it'd go over well here. :X

So those are my selections I've trickled it down to. Thoughts?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-06-19, 11:47 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Since life enjoys shitting on me so much"
KagomJack said: [Goto]
Goethe's "Faustus": A story about a doctor named Faustus who makes a deal with the a devil to be young again and woo a young girl 15-year-old jailbait, who ends up finding out about the deal. aborting her baby, then dying (I believe). (This one I've read the abridged version back in my German class and it's got a great story)
I read the non-abridged version of this. Epic story, I especially like the ending.

I'd suggest it.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-06-20, 12:07 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I read the non-abridged version of..."
I'm partial to doing this as well, but I want to do it all in German, but there'd be not a single person who'd either see it or sit through it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-06-20, 08:08 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I'm partial to doing this as well, but..."
Send my some plane tickets and I'd watch it with you. And when we're done, you'd have the chance to kill me, or whatever any zelaronian would do if we met IRL.
The point is - I'd watch it with you. Or alone.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-06-20, 09:12 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Send my some plane tickets and I'd..."
...why would you be watching it with me if I'm planning to direct it? Get your own damn tickets. :|
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2010-06-20, 10:53 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "...why would you be watching it with me..."
I was hoping for free tickets and a free ride there.

*runs away*
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-06-21, 04:47 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I was hoping for free tickets and a..."
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2010-06-21, 05:04 PM in reply to Shining Knights's post starting "It matters not whether you win or lose;..."
I have decided on doing "Faustus" for the fact there are no royalty costs and a budget could be solely focused on costume and set.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2010-06-21, 08:30 PM in reply to Shining Knights's post starting "It matters not whether you win or lose;..."
Shinto Katana said: [Goto]
You should of did it.... send Skurai half way around the world with no way back...lol
But I can't speak (much) german!

Anyways, good choice, really. Are you doing both acts, or just the first? The second would probably cost a bit, with all the mythical creatures in it...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-06-21, 09:34 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "But I can't speak (much) german! :eek:..."
Probably just part one. I read somewhere that they ran both parts back in '03 at some German festival and it ran 21 hours with intervals thrown in. Don't need a play -that- long. We'll see.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack