Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Friends or not
Posted 2007-09-29, 07:46 AM
Last night, my drunken roommate went on a rant about how guys and girls could never just be just friends.......ever. Basically, it got me thinking about every relationship I have ever had with my girl friends. I normally would have said yes guys and girls could be just friends, but the last few weeks have been pretty eye opening to me and now i would say that no we cannot. What do you guys think?

Here is my theory about this situation. I think to become friends, you had to at least be attracted to them, whether it be by looks, personality or general character, to even start a conversation. Once the attempt to try and win them over fails, i feel like we justify the end result by saying we just want to be friends. From there, more and more we fall less interested in them and that is why in a few months time you can break away from them. If there is general interest, then you stay around until either a) you hook up or b) they hook up with somebody else and you stay around to see how things go with them.

Sorry for this little rant on my part, but i am extremely interested in seeing what you guys think. I may be alittle drunk right now, but i hope you got the general idea of what im asking. I will def be back later to add more to this because i think i have a pretty decent arrgument, but i can barely type right now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-09-29, 10:12 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post "Friends or not"
What about co-workers?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-09-29, 10:19 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "What about co-workers?"
WetWired said:
What about co-workers?
Im not friends with my coworkers. I do my job and they do theirs. Thats how it is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-09-29, 11:36 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post "Friends or not"
gruesomeBODY said:
Last night, my drunken roommate went on a rant about how guys and girls could never just be just friends.......ever. Basically, it got me thinking about every relationship I have ever had with my girl friends. I normally would have said yes guys and girls could be just friends, but the last few weeks have been pretty eye opening to me and now i would say that no we cannot. What do you guys think?

Here is my theory about this situation. I think to become friends, you had to at least be attracted to them, whether it be by looks, personality or general character, to even start a conversation. Once the attempt to try and win them over fails, i feel like we justify the end result by saying we just want to be friends. From there, more and more we fall less interested in them and that is why in a few months time you can break away from them. If there is general interest, then you stay around until either a) you hook up or b) they hook up with somebody else and you stay around to see how things go with them.

Sorry for this little rant on my part, but i am extremely interested in seeing what you guys think. I may be alittle drunk right now, but i hope you got the general idea of what im asking. I will def be back later to add more to this because i think i have a pretty decent arrgument, but i can barely type right now.
All relationships that aren't family begin because of an attraction of some type, whether it be you enjoy their company for their insights, commentary, or you're hoping to get into their pants. What you would be describing might be a Platonic relationship, although it sometimes doesn't go that far.

I believe that it's highly possible to have friends of the opposite gender that you aren't romantically interested in to begin with, as I've had quite a few friends of this nature, but I've also had a few of the nature you described as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-09-29, 02:03 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "All relationships that aren't family..."
Definitely possible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-29, 10:56 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Definitely possible."
Possible, but it's probably as possible or more that you think of doing them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-29, 11:16 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Possible, but it's probably as possible..."
I've met a few girls here that seem potentially harmless, but Chef's girl in Southpark seemed great and she turned out to be a succubus.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-09-30, 05:35 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I've met a few girls here that seem..."
guys and girls can be just friends. i've had this one guy friend since 4th grade. he never tried nothin, neither did i. I could never think of him that way.
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2007-09-30, 08:19 AM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "guys and girls can be just friends. ..."
Wait until you get to college. It's a bit different.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-09-30, 10:37 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Wait until you get to college. It's a..."
This isn't even worth considering, the answer is obvious.

Take, for example, a gay guy and a lesbian. A guy and a girl who can be just friends.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-30, 03:15 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "This isn't even worth considering, the..."
Things would be much simpler if everyone used instant messaging to communicate.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-30, 04:30 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Things would be much simpler if..."
a lot more unbiased, for sure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood