Ethan Mao
Posted 2005-12-03, 10:46 AM
Title: Ethan Mao
Year: 2004
Distributor: tla releasing
Genre: Drama
Rated: R
Time: 87 Minutes

This Chinese-American kid (Ethan Mao) is kicked out of his house for being gay, so he hooks up with this Latino street hustler (Remigio). One day he gets a call from his younger brother that the family is going away for Thanksgiving and gives him access numbers to get into the house. He goes to the house to get his belongings and his family returns unexpectedly, so Ethan and Remigio hold them hostage over night. Most of them come to terms with each other.

The acting in here is pretty good and believable. The characters seem very real and appropriate to the setting. Ethan is a spoiled brat, Remigio is a smart and sensible guy, Abraham is the father and very stern and set in his Christian-Chinese ways, Noel is Ethan's younger brother who alerts him and is very smart, Josh is the step-brother who soon realizes that his brothers aren't that bad, and the step-mother who is back-stabbing and arrogant.

The plot itself is original and the writing is well done. The dialogue is believeable and the flow is pretty good. My only problem was with the flashback sequences later in the movie for they slightly confused me.

Music was very befitting of the moment, making it feel more real and right. Couldn't have asked for better music.

All in all, I give this movie an "A". It'll touch you when it comes to the ending whether you're gay or straight and you'll definitely be happy that Ethan DOES learn his family loves him.

Last edited by KagomJack; 2005-12-06 at 06:02 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-03, 05:42 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Ethan Mao"
KagomJack said:
Title: Ethan Mao
Year: 2004
Distributor: tla releasing
Genre: Drama
Rated: R
Time: 87 Minutes

This Chinese-American kid is kicked out of his house for being gay, so he hooks up with this Latino street hustler. One day he gets a call from his younger brother that the family is going away for Thanksgiving and gives him access numbers to get into the house. He goes to the house to get his belongings and his family returns unexpectedly, so they hold them hostage over night. Most of them come to terms with each other.

The acting in here is pretty good and believable. The characters seem very real and appropriate to the setting. Ethan is a spoiled brat, Remigio is a smart and sensible guy, Abraham is the father and very stern and set in his Christian-Chinese ways, Noel is Ethan's younger brother who alerts him and is very smart, Josh is the step-brother who soon realizes that his brothers aren't that bad, and the step-mother who is back-stabbing and arrogant.

The plot itself is original and the writing is well done. The dialogue is believeable and the flow is pretty good. My only problem was with the flashback sequences later in the movie for they slightly confused me.

Music was very befitting of the moment, making it feel more real and right. Couldn't have asked for better music.

All in all, I give this movie an "A". It'll touch you when it comes to the ending whether you're gay or straight and you'll definitely be happy that Ethan DOES learn his family loves him.
Just as long as it doesn't touch me "there" it sounds good .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2005-12-03, 07:17 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Just as long as it doesn't touch me..."
Trust me, it won't touch you "there", but it might just touch your heart...MAYBE.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-05, 12:12 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Trust me, it won't touch you "there",..."
I will give this movie a f for being gay. If i was his father i would kill him not love him.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2005-12-05, 12:41 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "I will give this movie a f for being..."
Osmoses, you didn't say that last night. Oh snaps .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2005-12-05, 03:12 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Osmoses, you didn't say that last..."
willsuckdickforfood shut hell up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2005-12-05, 04:21 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "willsuckdickforfood shut hell up."
Osmoses for sup mod!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2005-12-05, 04:37 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "I will give this movie a f for being..."
That's how you feel, but that merely means you don't have the mental capacity for parenting at all. In fact, I'd feel really bad for any children you'd have. They would deserve someone who'd raise them the way they deserved to, not as a psychotic religious fanatic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-05, 07:05 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "That's how you feel, but that merely..."
I will treat my children fairly if the turn to gay then they are dead.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

osmoses-jones

Posted 2005-12-05, 07:17 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "I will treat my children fairly if the..."
You rock.

But in all seriousness. This movie sounds like it blows. A lot. Who the hell every heard of a family holding their own gay son hostage after they are the ones who kicked him out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-12-05, 07:46 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "You rock. But in all seriousness. ..."
ill be the one to say that i use to be afraid of gay people. I never had met one and was like well it must be rare. then i went to college and met a few. Im still not 100 % comfortable bring around them but it is gettting better. As for a movie about a gay son and a family kicking him out, i believe that it might be a true story for alot of gay men and women. So it can be belieable. Im probably not going ot see it but if it is on direct tv when im at hoime, i might give it a glan ce
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-06, 06:01 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "You rock. But in all seriousness. ..."
They're not the ones holding him hostage, HE is the one holding THEM hostage.

I edited it so it makes more sense.

Osmoses: That's still not fair treatment. You leave open a major exception.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-06, 01:49 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "They're not the ones holding him..."
Dude i want to have a grandshild before i die. i dont' want him be a bitch and get his ass fucked by a guy. Either fuck a chick or die. Fair or not i don't care.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

osmoses-jones

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:10 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "Dude i want to have a grandshild before..."
Ignorance and hate must be bliss for you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:48 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Ignorance and hate must be bliss for..."
Well... the Islamic culture is pretty much do-this-or-you're-not-a-muslim. I don't mean to stereotype, but they have a pretty rigid system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:50 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Well... the Islamic culture is pretty..."
Eh...they're like Jews with different kinds of Muslims. I know Muslims who are the equivelant of Reform or Conservative Jews. Muhammed Al-Qatar Kill-Em-All here is the example of the Muslim representation of what Orthodox Judaism would be in Muslim form.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:51 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Eh...they're like Jews with different..."
Well, yeah.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:55 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Well, yeah."
But moving back to the point of this thread, the movie is pretty good. I find one thing to be kinda funny. The director/writer/producer is named Quentin Lee.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:56 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "But moving back to the point of this..."
I don't get it. Why's that funny?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2005-12-06, 03:57 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I don't get it. Why's that funny?"
Quentin Tarantino + Lee - Tarantino

I dunno...I'm easily amused. But others I've said that to found it funny.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack