Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Chrono Cross
Posted 2008-10-06, 04:57 PM
*Originally posted on 1up.com, Monday, Feb. 25, 2008.*

I finished Chrono Cross today. Before anything else, I should say that I haven't touched New Game + yet, so I'm probably missing out on some of the plot points, but I feel like I've got the general idea.

To be blunt, I was disappointed. The ending sequence was...unsatisfying to say the least. I was hoping for a more solid plot explanation, a nice FMV, and perhaps a specific Chrono Trigger cameo. Instead, I was left with what amounted to digital blue-balls.

I'll admit, had unreasonably high expectations for Cross from the beginning, having absolutely loved its predecessor. I understood this, but I didn't expect to be disappointed on so many levels.

Beginning with the plot, I was constantly looking for Trigger tie-ins, but these really don't appear until about half-way through the game, and even then, they don't make the best sense. I guess I figured that the writers would capitalize on what I consider to be an excellent background story rather than create a convoluted new plot that seemingly has nothing to do with anything. I will admit, the beginning of the game has a certain charm. Finding yourself dimensionally-shifted into a world where your character has been dead for 10 years is quite a trip. Nevertheless, this charm wears off after you figure out what is going on and people start joining your party (which, for some odd reason, causes the Stranger in a Strange Land sensation to fade).

This leads me to my next point. It seemed to me that rather than taking the time to develop a handful of unique characters and provide them a large, multi-dimensional world in which to run and play, Square did the opposite, piling on the characters (if I want to collect an assload of characters, I'll play Suikoden, thank you) and skimping on the explorable areas. Part of what I enjoy in RPGs in general is the ability to explore, and in Chrono Trigger in particular is the ability to explore multiple versions of specific areas. Chrono Cross, on the other hand, provided me with the opportunity to explore two versions of a couple of places, which for the most part, were nearly identical (or, if they weren't, I didn't really care much about the differences).

I guess I could bitch about the magic system, but it came along at a time when every RPG began trying something unique as far as magic went. It certainly wasn't the worst setup I've dealt with; I give FF VIII that dubious honor (along with a few others). The leveling setup, on the other hand, was nonsensical and irritating. I understand the concept of getting more experience for killing a boss, but not getting any experience at all for killing regular enemies? That just doesn't fly in my book. Yeah, I'm an old-school, Dragon Warrior, level-grinding mofo. Taking the experience points out of an RPG is like taking the cheese out of my grilled cheese sandwich. I didn't ask for toast, dammit!

...I'm almost done ranting. Thanks to the couple of people who are bearing with my bullshit...

Ok, so the worst thing this game did was it left me wanting more (plot, not gameplay). For those who've followed the series, you'll know that the likelihood of another Chrono game is pretty slim at the moment. Hell, Chrono Cross is nine years old. In any other franchise, something would have been done by now. Square is just too busy concentrating on the unstoppable Final Fantasy juggernaut to pay heed to a forgotten fan-base. Though, I guess if their next Chrono project turned into another Cross rather than another Trigger, I'm probably better off.

To anyone who loved this game, I apologize for my comments. It entertained me for the most part, these aspects just got to me after a while and I had to vent.

To anyone who preferred this game to Chrono Trigger...I have nothing to say to you.

Peace,

VaultDweller
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-10-07, 12:37 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post "Chrono Cross"
Actually, there is a HUGE Chrono Trigger cameo... right under your nose. Kid is Schala, Magus' sister, if I remember correctly. You find out in one of the endings...
Just wanted to throw that out there!
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-10-07, 09:55 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "Actually, there is a HUGE Chrono..."
I am well aware of who Kid is, thanks. That being said, wouldn't it make sense to have Magus in the game somewhere? That is the cameo I was looking for.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-10-07, 11:18 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I am well aware of who Kid is, thanks. ..."
IIRC Guile was supposed to be Magus, but the concept was scrapped because it was too hard to implement.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-10-08, 01:26 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "IIRC Guile was supposed to be Magus,..."
I can see the similarities.

Guile was awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-10-08, 11:33 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I can see the similarities. Guile..."
Same here. I totally agree with your Review, VD. The game left me hanging as well. Hell, I didn't even finish the game, and I can relate.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V