Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Emulator's and Rom's
Posted 2008-08-18, 08:13 PM
Anyone still use them? and if so - which one per system is the best ie.

Playstation [emulator] [rom website]
Nintendo 64 [emulator] [rom website]

and so on
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-18, 09:04 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "Emulator's and Rom's"
Linking to emulator websites is fine, so long as they don't have illegal ROMs. Linking to a website with illegal ROMs would be considered against the rules, and could potentially get Zelaron in legal trouble.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-18, 10:13 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Linking to emulator websites is fine,..."
did not know that - might just delete this post then - assuming that know one really knows whats legal and whats not
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-18, 11:57 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "did not know that - might just delete..."
I use project64 and the dolphin emu. :P

How ever, i actually get involved in the freaking c++ code, takes me months, but i can basically remake the entire game skipping out of copyrights >_>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2008-08-19, 12:15 AM in reply to kyeruu's post starting "I use project64 and the dolphin emu. :P..."
Emulators rock, mine might be illegal so I wont post them and I'm lazy.

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67

Posted 2008-08-19, 01:14 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "did not know that - might just delete..."
Kazilla said: [Goto]
did not know that - might just delete this post then - assuming that know one really knows whats legal and whats not
Emulators are legal. Roms are, for the most part, illegal. If it's a rom of a copywritten software, it's illegal. For instance, you can't post a link to a website that hosts ROMs of Zelda games.

There are some websites that MAKE original roms, but those are pretty few and far between.

In general, probably just avoid roms altogether. Feel free to post links to emulators, as long as the websites don't have ROMs as well. Talking about ROMs is fine as well, as long as there is no discussion about how or where to find them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-19, 11:10 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Emulators are legal. Roms are, for the..."
I read 1 websites disclaimer.

"We respected blah rules and regulations. We will only allow copies of games that are not directly effected by 'blah'"

and another i read.

"We have open roms, roms are NOT for resale, or for distribution in emulator rom packets. Rules state your allowed a backup of any software you have purchased, thus you must own the original copy of the game in order to download - If you do not own the originial please delete the rom after 24hours"

Swirled around in my own words, but same basis. I found it hard to find a site that gave me free range of ROMS to download. So now a question.

When you hear about people getting caught illegally downloading music, and are fined 1.x M. Do those people most likely have 1,000's of songs? My assumption is that you are required to pay for each song you have + fines and penalties. What are the fines, and how do they derive the amount you are required to pay if and when you are caught?

Mostly asking because i rarely download anything, and if i do its never alot - i think i have like 15 songs and 2 roms? Would i be expecting millions? or what...

Last edited by Kazilla; 2008-08-19 at 11:11 PM. Reason: because i cant spell
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-20, 12:07 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I read 1 websites disclaimer. "We..."
I've always heard if you download more than 10 songs they track your IP and sue you ~$100,000 per song.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-20, 12:10 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I've always heard if you download more..."
lol wow - that hardly seems fair.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-20, 12:19 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "lol wow - that hardly seems fair."
If you don't have the money to cover it, they just start taking your home and all of your posessions, and they take any income you get until your debt is paid.

I'd sure hate to be you right now. It's only a matter of time before they send you a letter informing you of the impending lawsuit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-20, 12:22 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If you don't have the money to cover..."
The Copyright Act allows a copyright owner to recover monetary damages measured either by: (1) actual damages plus any additional profits of the infringer attributable to the infringement, or
(2) statutory damages, of up to $150,000 for each copyrighted work infringed.
The copyright owner also has the right to permanently enjoin an infringer from engaging in further infringing activities and may be awarded costs and attorneys' fees. The law also permits destruction or other reasonable disposition of all infringing copies and devices by which infringing copies have been made or used in violation of the copyright owner's exclusive rights. In cases of willful infringement, criminal penalties may also be assessed against the infringer.

Source : http://www.siia.net/piracy/faq.asp#Penalties

Last edited by Kazilla; 2008-08-20 at 12:30 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-20, 08:12 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "The Copyright Act allows a copyright..."
I was just trying to scare you, jeez.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-20, 08:32 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I was just trying to scare you, jeez."
i kinda got that rift - but in actuallity, you werent far off. It says they can charge you up to $150.000 for each copywright infringment (sp).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-20, 12:13 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Linking to emulator websites is fine,..."
Actually, it's fine to say "I like xyz site for ROMs," just don't talk about where to get specific ROMs.
Quote:
You may not direct or link people to places that they can find specific copyrighted materials illegally.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-08-20, 12:48 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Actually, it's fine to say "I like xyz..."
this is y i dont like the goverment because nothing is free anymore from america like at walmart they syopped giving out free samples movies you cant download or anything cds like itones was asposed to be free but its not you pay for the songs you download games like like you can but its a waste of time and money downloading games and then putting them on cds you need a cesten chip it play them my friend have one but it cost a lot see my pont
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123