Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Lightbulb Why projects fail.
Posted 2008-02-11, 02:38 PM
There are so many people out there who say, "I'm gonna make a game, dammit!"

Less than one percent make it to a demo, even less to a full game. It's probably only in the hundreds.

Now, I want to hear what you guys think on the topic.

In my opinion it's over optimism. People want this awesome game better than the latest squenix release. That leads them to ultimate failure.

I think it's the projects whose developers manage their resources and time realistically who actually succeed.

What are your thoughts?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-11, 02:44 PM in reply to Atnas's post "Why projects fail."
Lack of time has scuppered a couple for me, and a drop in confidence has often done it - I start with a super-fantastic idea, start building, and a few days later I lose confidence... and the optimism, I guess: "Fook me, this is far too big for me. Bugger it for a lark".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-02-11, 03:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Lack of time has scuppered a couple for..."
The main reason my projects fail is because I realize about a week in that all I've done is a large portion of graphics, and that I have no other skills save writing and a little scripting. And all my ideas involve completely custom graphics. XD

I also don't want to work with a team so I'm pretty much screwed.

I'm planning on learning more scripting this year and actually sticking with a project instead of going on to another one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-11, 03:37 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "The main reason my projects fail is..."
i think its cause people get bored, or overwhelmed. but thats just me.
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-02-11, 11:28 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Lack of time has scuppered a couple for..."
I just suffer from short attention span.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-02-12, 02:21 AM in reply to Atnas's post "Why projects fail."
I'm easily distracted by games that already exist.

I do think I may have come across the project I'm meant to see through to the end, though. Just have to find some tech-savvy persons to actually design it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-02-12, 07:58 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I'm easily distracted by games that..."
I think that all of the reasons posted above put together state why none of them ever get done.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-02-17, 09:07 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I think that all of the reasons posted..."
Either that or the person creating it isn’t very good at it, like me for instance. I have a comical fantasy story, but no tools to create it. I started working on it, but it gets to the point where I eventually become tired with all the switches and I still haven’t spent the time to figure out variables (very important for certain scripts).

Yet, with the new game my brother and I are working on, I promise you, it’s not that, “We’re going making a game,” thing. It will be done, or I’ll pull my hair out! I haven’t finished a game before, so I would dishonor myself if I didn’t complete it.
“Attaining one hundred victors in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy’s army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence.” Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Michael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMichael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Michael_sama

Posted 2008-02-17, 09:11 PM in reply to Michael_sama's post starting "Either that or the person creating it..."
well props to you for even trying to start
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-02-17, 09:21 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "well props to you for even trying to..."
You meant, “What prompts you from trying to start?” or possibly what I would have said, “What is the initial jump that begets the construction?”

It all boils down to the ideal, and it’s so fantastic that the creator forgets about reality and time management to finish the project.
“Attaining one hundred victors in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy’s army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence.” Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Michael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMichael_sama is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Michael_sama

Posted 2008-02-18, 09:43 AM in reply to Michael_sama's post starting "You meant, “What prompts you from..."
I think she meant, "well props to you for even trying to start"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-18, 10:30 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I think she meant, "well props to you..."
yea. as in like, good job?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-02-18, 09:55 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "yea. as in like, good job?"
The way you present your words does not make any sense at all. I will say nothing more, and I will nod my head as if I understand.

*Nod*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Michael_sama

Posted 2008-02-18, 10:19 PM in reply to Michael_sama's post starting "The way you present your words does not..."
Well i will try to explain it.. Props is basically a word used to say "Congratulations to you for doing something"...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coriander

Posted 2008-02-19, 12:41 PM in reply to Coriander's post starting "Well i will try to explain it.. Props..."
yea. i dont get how you dont get it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-02-19, 04:08 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "yea. i dont get how you dont get it."
I don't get how you don't get how he doesn't get it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-02-19, 05:10 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I don't get how you don't get how he..."
shut up please
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-02-20, 02:28 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "shut up please"
Props is slang, and I disregard that kind of language since it sounds so utterly stupid.

That’s why I will simply nod.

Last edited by Michael_sama; 2008-02-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Michael_sama

Posted 2008-02-20, 02:44 PM in reply to Michael_sama's post starting "Props is slang, and I disregard that..."
Michael_sama said:
Props is slang, and I disregard that kind of language since it sounds so utterly stupid.
Oh God...

Not another one of those.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-20, 03:01 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Oh God... Not another one of those."
yea SRSLY
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

talentedhamster