Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Email from ISP
Posted 2012-07-31, 09:01 PM
Well, I think this is the first GOOD email I've ever gotten from an ISP. Usually it's something along the lines of "give us money" or, in the past, "stop violating copyright". This time, however, was "we just doubled the speed of your connection and aren't increasing your bill".

I'm totally ok with this, and speedtest.net confirms (mostly).

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-01, 06:57 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post "Email from ISP"
That's some sexy speeds right thar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2012-08-01, 09:22 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "That's some sexy speeds right thar."
/me jealous. Here in Cali we'd be lucky to hit 12Mb/s.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2012-08-02, 08:07 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "/me jealous. Here in Cali we'd be lucky..."

That's me. Well damn you got it good JR.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-02, 01:05 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "http://www.speedtest.net/result/20972965..."
I'm a big fan of the speed increase, as now I don't feel like I need to stop seeding torrents when I want to play some games with friends. Keep my ratio up AND dominate in some Mass Effect multiplayer? Sounds good to me!

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-02, 02:33 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "I'm a big fan of the speed increase, as..."
What's the point in keeping your ratio up?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-02, 02:42 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "What's the point in keeping your ratio..."
Share ratio is relevant if you are using private trackers usually. Otherwise it's probably just some moral desire to give back as much as you get, which I think is bullshit. I share stuff just long enough to download it if I'm not using a private tracker.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 03:29 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "What's the point in keeping your ratio..."
As K_A said, it matters for me because I'm on a private tracker. A low enough ratio will get you kicked out. And the benefits of being on a private tracker (security and wicked fast speeds) make seeding well worth it.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-02, 03:31 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "As K_A said, it matters for me because..."
I have a bunch of other people on my network, so I can't really manage to slow down our internet. Everyone'd get pissed at me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-02, 04:06 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I have a bunch of other people on my..."
The joys of living on my own. It's my internet and I'll do what I want with it.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-02, 04:56 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "The joys of living on my own. It's my..."
Other than the fact that Comcast caps your bandwidth.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...excessive-use/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 05:01 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Other than the fact that Comcast caps..."
Since all the cool kids are doing it.

This was done through my VNC server so the streaming data through the VNC may or may not have had an effect on the results.

I just recently dropped my PowerBOOST or whatever their bullshit service is where the first 10(?) MB of a download are at twice the normal speed. I was paying $10 a month for it and I haven't noticed the difference not having it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 05:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Other than the fact that Comcast caps..."
Yah, I know. For the time being though, they're not enforcing the cap. Hopefully that will last as long as possible, and will result in a much higher cap than they currently have when it's reinstated.

Cap aside, comcast really had the best deal for speed in my area.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-02, 05:51 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Yah, I know. For the time being though,..."
The link I provided claims that the new cap is or will be 300GB/month. It was 250GB/month
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 06:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The link I provided claims that the new..."
Is it only during peak hours, or for the entire month? If it's the latter, that sucks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2012-08-02, 06:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Is it only during peak hours, or for..."
From what I understand it's for the month, which is pretty stupid.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 06:57 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The link I provided claims that the new..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
The link I provided claims that the new cap is or will be 300GB/month. It was 250GB/month
That's in the area where they are testing the new caps/process of determing caps. I currently have no cap because they are not testing in my area.

And yes, it's for the month. Retarded.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-02, 08:17 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "That's in the area where they are..."
Quote:
On May 17, 2012, we announced the suspension of our 250 GB usage allowance and that we would launch new data usage plans. We will continue to contact the very small number of excessive users about their usage, which can be indicative of security or related issues.
So it sounds like "excessive" is a flexible adjective at the moment. It wouldn't necessarily be accurate to say that there is no cap, because if you go much over 250-300GB they will probably notice and say something if it's a continuous thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 11:16 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "So it sounds like "excessive" is a..."
If they call and tell me my usage is excessive, I'll just tell them I'm drunk and they should fuck off

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-03, 08:53 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "If they call and tell me my usage is..."
I feel like the only way to really reach that cap is watch a ton of movies.... actually, download a ton of movies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin