Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

'Restoring Truthiness' Rally by Stephen Colbert an Answer to the Tea Party?
Posted 2010-09-08, 10:50 PM
'Restoring Truthiness' Rally by Stephen Colbert an Answer to the Tea Party?

Saul Relative Saul Relative – Tue Sep 7, 3:37 pm ET

It seems that the "Internets" have generated a movement of sorts, calling upon the host of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," Stephen Colbert, to hold a "Restoring Truthiness" Rally in Washington D. C. sometime in the near future. The grass roots movement seems to have been born of an idea presented on Reddit to "see Stephen Colbert flip a mirror to the Tea Party and show them just how ridiculous they are."

According to TheNewsofToday.com, it has grown to include a website, mainstream media articles, a Facebook page, and a Twitter account, all pushing for Colbert to take to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial -- a la Glenn Beck -- and begin "restoring truthiness" to America.

For those unfamiliar with the term, comedian Stephen Colbert, faux-conservative news anchor, coined it during the pilot episode of "The Colbert Report" (2005) in the first of his popular "The Word" segments. It is a word with the general meaning of "gut feeling" without substantiated proof, a feeling one gets without evidence or intellectual investigation. In 2005, "truthiness" was the American Dialect Society's "Word of the Year." Merriam-Webster made it their "Word of the Year" in 2006. It is a word rich in satire and used to describe any number of decisions, situations, and pronouncements, especially those of a political bent that happen to fly in the face of facts and evidence (such as the justification for the invasion of Iraq due to the presence of WMDs, which were found later to not have existed as the Bush administration reported).

The Facebook page "100,000 Strong to Restore Truthiness to the US Capital" has pulled in nearly 20,000 followers thus far. The goal is to get Stephen Colbert to conduct a rally such as "Restoring Honor," staged by the entertaining rodeo clown (his own descriptive words) Glenn Beck. Beck and his crowd of uber-right-wingers and fringe conservatives (some of whom are Tea Party advocates and members) held their rally on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech, attempting to assure themselves with the "truthiness" that the United States was either going in a Stalinist direction or a Nazi direction (they continually confuse and conflate the two when speaking about Democrats and the Obama administration).

Part of Beck's truthiness, according to Newsopi, included the outright falsehood during his speech of holding the original copy of George Washington's inaugural address from the National Archives in his hand. MSNBC's Keith Olbermann called him out on it, since such historic documents are kept under lock and key. Beck's response? It was easier to say that he held it himself than go through the details of what actually occurred.

He must have went with his "gut feeling." So much for "restoring honor." Apparently, truthiness won out.

ColbertRally.com is attempting to get the word out through "Operation Strike of Truthiness," and the word to Stephen Colbert that it is imperative that he conduct a "Restoring Truthiness" rally in Washington. They are conducting an e-mail and Twitter campaign to make the rally an actuality. The website is also pushing the Facebook page "100,000 Strong." On Sept. 7, the website called for members, fans, and those surfers to Google the term "Restoring Truthiness" until they developed carpal tunnel syndrome. It wasn't long before "Restoring Truthiness" made it to the #1 position on Google Trends.

It is as yet unclear if Colbert will heed the call and climb the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and address the Colbert Nation (and the rest of the world) in a moment of extreme truthiness. But given the extremely negative and misleading political message that seems to have enveloped the political Right in the United States, a bit of neo-conservative humorous satire might show that most shouldn't take Glenn Beck and his band of extremists seriously -- just seriously enough to ensure that they do not gain too much political power.

Sources:

ColbertRally.com
Facebook.com
Newsopi.com
Google.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20100907/..._the_tea_party
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-09-10, 10:22 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "'Restoring Truthiness' Rally by Stephen..."
I love this article. I love Steven Colbert. It's hilarious when he has conservatives on his show they never realize he's messing with them. It's like a liberal inside joke for 30 minutes.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-09-10, 04:34 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I love this article. I love Steven..."
I personally would like to start a group that is an anti-thesis to the Tea Party (and no, not the Coffee Party).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-09-13, 02:12 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I personally would like to start a..."
That never took off, did it? I remember hearing about it a while back and I guess they other things to be smug about, amirite?

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-09-13, 11:49 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That never took off, did it? I remember..."
Honestly, I think it's because they're too laid back and about co-existing peacefully. Yeah, it's great to be laid back and it's even better to get along, but in the world of politics you have to be a little ruthless.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2010-09-22, 11:45 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Honestly, I think it's because they're..."
I just read on CNN that Jon Stewart is having a rally as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/2...ex.html?hpt=T2

Quote:

# Jon Stewart is planning a "Rally to Restore Sanity" in Washington
# John Avlon says Stewart rightly sees that voice of moderates is being drowned out
# He says most Americans aren't hyperpartisan
# Avlon: "Our country is being polarized for political, partisan and personal profit"
I like this idea, should be interesting to see how many people legitimately turn out.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-09-22, 08:17 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I just read on CNN that Jon Stewart is..."
My Government teacher says Abe Lincoln had people arrested without charging them.

I wish they still did that. I'd be a cop and be all like "U mad?".
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-23, 11:16 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "My Government teacher says Abe Lincoln..."
Quote:
I wish they still did that
they do. even one step further, they'll hold you in guantonamo bay indefinitely.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-09-23, 01:24 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "My Government teacher says Abe Lincoln..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
My Government teacher says Abe Lincoln had people arrested without charging them.
I sincerely hope he didn't state it like that. Lincoln declared martial law and ordered the suspension of the writ of habeus corpus shortly after the civil war began.

Abraham Lincoln's Proclamation said:
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

A PROCLAMATION

Whereas, it has become necessary to call into service not only volunteers but also portions of the militia of the States by draft in order to suppress the insurrection existing in the United States, and disloyal persons are not adequately restrained by the ordinary processes of law from hindering this measure and from giving aid and comfort in various ways to the insurrection;

Now, therefore, be it ordered, first, that during the existing insurrection and as a necessary measure for suppressing the same, all Rebels and Insurgents, their aiders and abettors within the United States, and all persons discouraging volunteer enlistments, resisting militia drafts, or guilty of any disloyal practice, affording aid and comfort to Rebels against the authority of United States, shall be subject to martial law and liable to trial and punishment by Courts Martial or Military Commission:

Second. That the Writ of Habeas Corpus is suspended in respect to all persons arrested, or who are now, or hereafter during the rebellion shall be, imprisoned in any fort, camp, arsenal, military prison, or other place of confinement by any military authority of by the sentence of any Court Martial or Military Commission.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington this twenty fourth day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, and of the Independence of the United States the 87th.
Relevant Excerpt from US Constitution said:
Article I, Section 9, clause 2: "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."
/end history lesson
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-09-23, 02:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I sincerely hope he didn't state it..."
/applause

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-09-23, 06:58 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I sincerely hope he didn't state it..."
Well that makes it look alot less rude. Thank you, K_A.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-24, 02:47 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Well that makes it look alot less rude...."
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...h_jon_stewart/

Quote:
Jon Stewart's announcement last Thursday of his "Rally to Restore Sanity" on Oct. 30 has, not surprisingly, generated significant interest from "Daily Show" fans. (The current number of people signed up on the rally's Facebook page is 140,000). But it also prompted some confusion, even from longtime fans. What is Stewart trying to achieve? Does this mark a more formal embrace of politics? Will this change the way he's perceived?
140K already. To have it trump Glenn Becks and all of Sarah Palin's rallies combined makes me happy. Just the potential of it is great. The message is great. If I lived a little closer, I would try to attend.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-09-24, 03:11 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_r..."
It's no surprise to me that the majority of people are sane. It's just simply a fact of crazy/stupid people being more vocal. The sane people tend to be more laid back and less vocal, and I also think that the sane people don't usually see themselves as the majority that they are and therefore feel like they cannot win even if they fight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-09-24, 03:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's no surprise to me that the..."
I think Obama used that theory and tapped into it during his run for president; however, president Obama is much different than candidate Obama.. unfortunately.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-09-24, 03:43 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I think Obama used that theory and..."
President Obama and candidate Obama are both better than President Bush, which is all I really expected of him anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-09-24, 04:01 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "President Obama and candidate Obama are..."
BORKED

Damn. This is great. Chairman Conyers is such a douchebag, Colbert counters perfectly as a good troll always does.

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2010-09-24 at 04:04 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-09-29, 06:26 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "9Of4EFOghk4 Damn. This is great...."
Wait, he's a troll? I thought he was serious, when I saw his show!
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-09-29, 07:03 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Wait, he's a troll? I thought he was..."
He's on Comedy Central, why the hell would you think he's serious?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-09-29, 09:22 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "He's on Comedy Central, why the hell..."
It's funny, because his satire actually did prove a point. He's a very clever dude/his staff write's excellent material.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V