Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Posted 2009-04-29, 06:37 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Why thank you. That cleared up alot of..."
Anyways. I heard on NPR this morning there are countries not wanting to call it the swine flu now (because of religion).. What's the take on that? Funny?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-04-29, 07:31 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Anyways. I heard on NPR this morning..."
Yeah, that's a good point. Let's refer to it as Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 from now on.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-04-29, 07:37 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Yeah, that's a good point. Let's refer..."
I want an Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 toasted wheat bread sandwich with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-04-29, 12:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Anyways. I heard on NPR this morning..."
D3V said: [Goto]
Anyways. I heard on NPR this morning there are countries not wanting to call it the swine flu now (because of religion).. What's the take on that? Funny?
Beautiful.

1. It's the Hooves that make them against the religion.

2. It came from pigs... If God exists, he intended it to come from pigs. Calm your happy ass down, it's the swine flu.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-04-29, 12:49 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Beautiful. 1. It's the Hooves that..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
Beautiful.

1. It's the Hooves that make them against the religion.

2. It came from pigs... If God exists, he intended it to come from pigs. Calm your happy ass down, it's the swine flu.
I can't understand that. How come if it's the hooves they don't hate horses, goats, donkeys etc? Anything else with hooves. Even fucking reindeer have hooves.

But I agree, they can STFU and GTFO with their bullshit rhetoric.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-04-29, 12:53 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I can't understand that. How come if..."
D3V said: [Goto]
I can't understand that. How come if it's the hooves they don't hate horses, goats, donkeys etc? Anything else with hooves. Even fucking reindeer have hooves.

But I agree, they can STFU and GTFO with their bullshit rhetoric.
It's a specific Kind of Hoove.
And they don't hate the animal, just respect them. I assume they feel the name disrespectful, or they're just dumb.

Also, can't eat anything fromt he ocean without gills or finns.

Sometimes I just think God is being silly with us.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-04-29, 02:23 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "It's a specific Kind of Hoove. And..."
The pandemic alert has been upgraded to level 5. This shows that a pandemic is imminent. The virus is quickly mutating, and although in Mexico it's kill rate isn't in the double digits, it is highly unstable and could become like the Avian Influenza from Asia. That influenza had around a 50% kill rate, from figures I just saw. This isn't much to be joking about. This is one of the largest threats to humanity in a while. It's out of the bag.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-04-29, 02:33 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "The pandemic alert has been upgraded to..."
You think it's still really serious? After you take the meds and your body fights it off once you'll be cured for life from the specific strain. Like you say though, it's pretty rough that it keeps mutating though. I wouldn't be too worried, especially living in such a warm climate where it's hard for the Flu to hang around for a while.

Quote:
WHO raises influenza epidemic level from 4 to 5

"Actions now should be taken with increased urgency," director-general says

World Health Organizations reports 132 cases in 11 countries

U.S. government working on vaccine, homeland security chief says

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:06 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "You think it's still really serious?..."
The A/H1N1 subtype also caused the Spanish flu, which "killed killed some 50 million to 100 million people worldwide over about a year in 1918 and 1919."[1]. Not to be an alarmist or anything, but FUCK, WE'RE ALL DEAD!

Actually, since only one person has died outside Mexico so far, it may not even be as bad as more common strains of influenza.

As the CDC website states:

"Each flu season is unique, but it is estimated that, on average, approximately 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and more than 200,000 persons are hospitalized for flu-related complications each year. About 36,000 Americans die on average per year from the complications of flu."[2]
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-04-29 at 03:14 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:17 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The A/H1N1 subtype also caused the..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
"Each flu season is unique, but it is estimated that, on average, approximately 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and more than 200,000 persons are hospitalized for flu-related complications each year. About 36,000 Americans die on average per year from the complications of flu."[2]
What about Swedes?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:19 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "What about Swedes?"
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
What about Swedes?
They don't eat processed foods; therefourth, they cannot be harmed by illnesses. They live forever.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:21 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The A/H1N1 subtype also caused the..."
Yeah, but like you mentioned this strain so far has not been as powerful as the spanish flu. Even with that said, the transferred from 'mexico' recent swine flu has not resulted in any deaths either.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:24 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "What about Swedes?"
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
What about Swedes?
Between 2000 and 4500 Swedes die every from Influenza-related complications, which means that the Influenza mortality rate is approximately three times higher here than in the United States.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:26 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Between 2000 and 4500 Swedes die every..."
How long before all of the paranoid conspirators come out from their holes?

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-04-29, 03:40 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The A/H1N1 subtype also caused the..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
The A/H1N1 subtype also caused the Spanish flu, which "killed killed some 50 million to 100 million people worldwide over about a year in 1918 and 1919."[1]. Not to be an alarmist or anything, but FUCK, WE'RE ALL DEAD!
That same Spanish Flu would probably hardly be a bother these days. In 1918 and 1919 our medical technology was pretty limited compared to today.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-04-29, 04:19 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That same Spanish Flu would probably..."
Some coutry (somewhere middle east) Has started Killing all the pigs.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-04-29, 07:49 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The A/H1N1 subtype also caused the..."
Well, 36,000/300,000,000=very small percentage. If even one out of a hundred infected dies, it's more severe than the normal one it seems. Mexico has had 160 deaths out of 2,498 proven sick with it. That's right over 6.4%. Granted, I doubt it'll have that sort of kill rate in the U.S. But in 3rd world nations I'd suspect it could be fairly consistant. I would suspect at least 3 billion people live in the third world. 6.4% x 3 billion = 192 million people. That's only if 6.4% of less than half the world's population were to die. Seeing as there's probably tons of undiagnosed cases, this scenario may be a bit too extreme. But it may not be too, as more may die. We'll see.

The vaccines are going to take many months to develop by the way, and this pandemic would probably already have ran its course through Mexico and the U.S. by then, i suspect. Any damage that's going to be done very well might be done by then.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-04-29, 10:22 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Well, 36,000/300,000,000=very small..."
Then again, this thing is Mutating faster then the X-men, right?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-04-30, 06:29 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Then again, this thing is Mutating..."
This just in: The Swine Flu can now control the weather and conjure tornadoes. We're fucked.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-04-30, 06:36 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Well, 36,000/300,000,000=very small..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
Well, 36,000/300,000,000=very small percentage. If even one out of a hundred infected dies, it's more severe than the normal one it seems. Mexico has had 160 deaths out of 2,498 proven sick with it. That's right over 6.4%. Granted, I doubt it'll have that sort of kill rate in the U.S. But in 3rd world nations I'd suspect it could be fairly consistant. I would suspect at least 3 billion people live in the third world. 6.4% x 3 billion = 192 million people. That's only if 6.4% of less than half the world's population were to die. Seeing as there's probably tons of undiagnosed cases, this scenario may be a bit too extreme. But it may not be too, as more may die. We'll see.

The vaccines are going to take many months to develop by the way, and this pandemic would probably already have ran its course through Mexico and the U.S. by then, i suspect. Any damage that's going to be done very well might be done by then.
I was talking last night with some of the family about the swine flu, and we were talking about it. Basically agree with everything you're saying. I was suggesting that if Africa were to be hit pretty severly, or even China/Japan, a higher congestive area that may not have as good rapid response as our country might have, there could be serious conditions and possibly kill more people. But I doubt it will.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V