Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Virginia Tech Shooting
Posted 2007-04-16, 11:41 AM
local news said:
25 Dead, Shooter Killed In Virginia Tech Shooting
At Least 21 Others Injured, Campus Locked Down

(AP) BLACKSBURG, Va. A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, reportedly killing as many as 25 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Some but not all the dead were students. One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

The name of the gunman was not released. It was not known if he was a student. The weapon, believed to be "high capacity" is with the shooter's body, CBS News reports, adding that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is studying the weapon and the type of ammunition.

Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

After Monday's shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed. The campus was to reopen Tuesday but classes were canceled.

The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children at the Inn at Virginia Tech. It also made counselors available and planned a convocation for Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum basketball arena.

After the shootings, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks by authorities but said they have not determined a link to the shootings.

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.
What the fuck is wrong with people.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-16, 11:45 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Virginia Tech Shooting"
It was D3v. They wouldn't segregate the classes.

Really a tragedy though. It's so scary how you can never know when something like this will happen and to whom.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-16, 12:17 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Virginia Tech Shooting"
The fact that these events get so much attention makes them even more attractive to those committing the act.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-04-16, 12:50 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Virginia Tech Shooting"
It's up to 31 dead now. =\
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-04-16, 01:03 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Virginia Tech Shooting"
Media just makes it worse by bringing so much attentiont o it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-16, 02:56 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Media just makes it worse by bringing..."
This shit needs to stop.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-16, 03:02 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "The fact that these events get so much..."
GravitonSurge said:
The fact that these events get so much attention makes them even more attractive to those committing the act.
Exactly, my australian friend messaged me and was talking about it. I was like, "Just wait until the copycats do their shootings too."

We had a string of several highschool shootings following ...I can't remember if Columbine was first or the one in paducah, KY.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-16, 04:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Virginia Tech Shooting"
Just a sad thing that happened. Who ever the shooter was, needed to find a better way of dealing with things.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2007-04-16, 04:12 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Virginia Tech Shooting"
It's crazy that the first shooting took place two hours before the second one. Don't you think they would have had the campus on lockdown after the 1st? Doesn't make sense to me..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-04-16, 04:27 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "It's crazy that the first shooting took..."
Man, I used to live immediately off campus back when I was D2 Mod. I could literally walk a block and be on VT grounds, and I still have friends going there. Luckily, they're all okay...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-16, 04:44 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Media just makes it worse by bringing..."
Sovereign said:
Media just makes it worse by bringing so much attentiont o it.
What the fuck? Are you serious? 32 fucking college students were shot to death by some psycho-path. What do you want the media to do, make a blog on their website about it and nothing more? This is the most catastrophic school shooting in US history. This is a disaster, and the story needs to be told.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-04-16, 05:00 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "What the fuck? Are you serious? 32..."
Titusfied said:
What the fuck? Are you serious? 32 fucking college students were shot to death by some psycho-path. What do you want the media to do, make a blog on their website about it and nothing more? This is the most catastrophic school shooting in US history. This is a disaster, and the story needs to be told.
Double-edged sword. Yea, the nation needs to know. Hopefully the attention doesn't start copy cat crimes though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-16, 06:54 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Double-edged sword. Yea, the nation..."
History has a way of repeating itself, you can only hope that this will open up people's eye's and make them realize there are other ways...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-04-16, 08:47 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "What the fuck? Are you serious? 32..."
So what if it's a disaster? I dont want to see live pictures and news reports while they speculate what COULD have happend. I want a notice that such an event occured and then after some FACTS have been found, a nice report on what happened.

Oooh oooh i can't wait till they start interviewing the family members. "HOWS IT FEEL TO HAVE A DEAD KID?!"

(For some reason I was reminded of this http://www.werewolves.org/~two/Rants/2rant-News.mp3 )
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-16, 09:57 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "So what if it's a disaster? I dont..."
Sovereign said:
So what if it's a disaster? I dont want to see live pictures and news reports while they speculate what COULD have happend. I want a notice that such an event occured and then after some FACTS have been found, a nice report on what happened.

Oooh oooh i can't wait till they start interviewing the family members. "HOWS IT FEEL TO HAVE A DEAD KID?!"

(For some reason I was reminded of this http://www.werewolves.org/~two/Rants/2rant-News.mp3 )
You're an asshat.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-16, 10:07 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You're an asshat."
I agree with Sov for the most part.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-16, 10:18 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I agree with Sov for the most part."
mjordan2nd said:
I agree with Sov for the most part.
Then you're an asshat too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-16, 11:33 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Then you're an asshat too."
!King_Amazon! said:
Then you're an asshat too.
Haven't quite heard that one before. Not irl, anyway. Ass-"hole" is what I usually get.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-17, 12:28 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Haven't quite heard that one before...."
Well, an asshat is someone who wears their ass for a hat...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-17, 12:33 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Well, an asshat is someone who wears..."
Or a hat the someone wears on their ass?

*Lightbulb*

BRB.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos