Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Post Starting language.
Posted 2003-11-30, 10:26 AM
Me and a few frienda have an argument going, which is the best language to start out learing? Im talking bottom of the line no knowledge of any type of programming at all. Which language is best? Personally i think BASIC, some say C, some say VB there are many different suggestions. What are you guys suggestions?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Valmar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenValmar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Valmar

Posted 2003-11-30, 01:54 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
If you can understand it go for C...

if not basic...basic is probably the easiest to learn
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-11-30, 01:59 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
That was our argument though. What language is the most understandable and easy to learn, which is why i said basic. C is rather complex for a person with no coding experience and well c++ soundnt even be atempted in my opinion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Valmar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenValmar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Valmar

Posted 2003-12-01, 11:07 AM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
"Advanced BASIC" (basica.com or basica.exe, shipped with MS-DOS before 5.0 and probably all versions of PC-DOS) is the best language to start with. The syntax is fairly simple, you don't have to worry about types and such, no functions, no complex stuff just to start a project. QBASIC is also good, but it adds some of the complicated stuff that was missing from Advanced BASIC.

Last edited by WetWired; 2003-12-01 at 11:10 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-12-01, 06:05 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
I started with QBasic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2003-12-06, 09:59 AM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
Assembly
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-12-06, 12:05 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
~Krayzie-Bone~ said:
What language is the most understandable and easy to learn
Umm...i dont think assembly fits that description...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-12-11, 09:28 AM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
Basic is easy to learn, I started with it. A few people I know would throw Pascal into the mixer aswell.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asgard_Loki is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenAsgard_Loki is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Asgard_Loki

Posted 2003-12-11, 03:39 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
I'm attempting to learn C++ right now with no previous knowledge of any kinds of languages.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-12-11, 03:40 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
Tell me how it goes...

I'm going to write a C tutorial and post it here on zelaron...I'll try to have it before 2004...I'll try to like do a chapter a day over christmas break
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-12-11, 04:08 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
QBASIC is simple but it isn't very useful in the long run. I reccommend you learn QBASIC to get the "basics" of programming, then go on to C.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-11, 04:12 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
I started with C.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-12-11, 04:13 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
I learned QBASIC and then realized that programming wasn't for me.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-11, 04:15 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
I stoped after i learned C,C++,Javascript and Java. I simply hate coding i find it boring.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-12-11, 04:20 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
You certainly learned a lot of languages before you figured that out.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-11, 04:30 PM in reply to Valmar's post "Starting language."
Well when i did C i wasnt doing anything big. Mostly learning how to code. So i figured like in anything there would be that boring part then it would get interesting. In C++ i learned more stuff and ended up making a boring Space Invader. I did some javascript then went to Java thinking i would like it more since i was getting much better. I made a battlship game and got bored to hell. So i stoped as i figured it would stay just as boring. The thing that made me go on till Java is that i was sure since i was 6 that programing was the thing i would do and it had never changed. Only after that i realised that psychology is what interest me.

Last edited by Kuja; 2003-12-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja