Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Debate competition
Posted 2007-04-04, 05:10 PM
I think an organized debate competition type of thing would be pretty cool. I have lab in 20 minutes. I'll expand on this idea more when I get back.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-04, 05:31 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Debate competition"
I don't think anyone here could put up any sort of fight against you anyway Mj.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-04, 05:33 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I don't think anyone here could put up..."
If it was a one-off, then we'd have no chance, but if it were a monthly or bimonthly thing, we'd learn how to become better debaters and stand a better chance against him.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-04, 06:24 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If it was a one-off, then we'd have no..."
I agree with that statement.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-04, 06:35 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Debate competition"
I would be willing to participate, moreso in the summer when I have free time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-04-04, 07:02 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Debate competition"
Not enough free time to respond to your long posts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2007-04-04, 07:27 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Debate competition"
What? Arguing simply because an argument can be put up? Sounds like my kind of thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-04, 07:37 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Debate competition"
Also, I would want to debate something I haven't seen discussed much before. I'm tired of debating on abortion or religion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-04-04, 07:49 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "Not enough free time to respond to your..."
I have a particular setup in mind which I think would work.

First of all, there will be a nominations thread. I, or whoever wants to take over this thing, will create the nominations thread. People are only allowed to nominate one topic. You may nominate anything that is debatable, regardless of significance or esotericism. Furthermore, after the fifth topic is nominated, the nominations will immediately be closed, and voting will be started. Voting on the topics will last for 72 hours after the thread is created. If there is a tie between topics, those topics will be revoted on for 24 additional hours. After that, a debate can begin. Nominations for the next debate begin while the current debate is going on.

Once a topic is decided, a new thread will be created for members who want to participate in the debate. Members sign up by stating which side of the debate they want to be on. After 72 hours, this thread will be closed. Two new threads will then be created where a leader for each side will be voted on from the members who signed up for the debate with the condition that one can not vote for himself. Voting again, will last for 72 hours. The two leaders will then choose two additional members to represent their side. Additionally, the leaders may choose to promote another team-member to leader if they notify the judges.

Additionally, while members are signing up, there will also be a thread where people who would like to judge can sign up. The first three members to sign up as judges will be given that spot. The judge's responsibility will be to decide who wins the debate at the end and make sure that everyone adheres to the rules. The judges should know a bit about the topic, and must be objective about the decision. Even though they may have an opinion on the subject, they must judge based on the content of the posts rather their own personal beliefs.

The debate will then proceed in turns. Each leader will make his opening post. After that, the team members post in turns. Finally, the leader makes the closing post.

My idea for the rules:

Opening posts:
- presented by the leader
- limited to 500 words
- presents a brief outline of the topic
- presents main arguments for support of their stance
- Must be made within 48 hours of the debate starting

Post from team member 2
- Can not be made by leader
- limited to 500 words
- is allowed to make a rebuttle to anything from the opening post of the opposite team
- is allowed to present additional arguments in support of their stance
- must be made within 72 hours after the period for opening posts is closed

Post from team member 3
- Must be made by the team member who has not posted yet
- limited to 500 words
- is allowed to make a rebuttle to anything from post 2 of the opposite team
- is allowed to present additional arguments in support of their stance
- must be made within 72 hours after the period for the second post is closed

Closing post
- Must be made by leader
- limited to 1500 words
- Is allowed to make a rebuttle to anything the other team has presented
- Can NOT make additional arguments
- Must be made within 72 hours after the period for the third post is closed

Rules for all posts
- No personal attacks.
- Must stick to the subject at hand.
- Must use propper grammar. I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but it should not look like how I posted in 2003. Example: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread....ion#post243067

Rules are up for change. I have a few more things I want to say, but I'm unbelievably hungry right now so I'll post when I get back. Let me know what you think so far. Anyways, off to eat fried chicken. (Yes, I'm purposely being stereotypical.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-04, 07:52 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have a particular setup in mind which..."
I think the second-place voted topic should automatically be one of the five nominations in the next round (meaning there would be four more to add from the second round and thereon).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2007-04-04, 09:14 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I think the second-place voted topic..."
GravitonSurge said:
I think the second-place voted topic should automatically be one of the five nominations in the next round (meaning there would be four more to add from the second round and thereon).
Sounds good to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-04, 09:17 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have a particular setup in mind which..."
I like it. Grav's idea is a good addition too.

A tad off-topic: it's kinda funny to see how much people's opinions have changed since that thread.

Last edited by KagomJack; 2007-04-04 at 09:24 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-04, 09:46 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have a particular setup in mind which..."
As long as I wouldn't have to remember all those instructions I'd be game.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2007-04-05, 12:51 AM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "As long as I wouldn't have to remember..."
This sounds like a pretty cool idea. I'd view intently!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2007-04-05, 08:51 AM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "This sounds like a pretty cool idea...."
Let the wikipedia pilfering for factual arguments begin.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-05, 09:05 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have a particular setup in mind which..."
Kinda reminds me of verbal boxing.

Sounds like a very good idea... but I can't help but feel that the debates would be rather short. It'll be, what, 8 posts a debate?

Might it be worth trying, as well as an 8 post debate, one in which the leaders make statements, then the other team members, and then there's a period where anyone can speak (obviously on a turn basis - Team A, Team B, Team A, Team B... anyone can speak, but once a reply has been made, it's the other teams go to speak), and once the period for free deabting is up, each team leader makes their final statement.

Just a thought, mind.

Btw, will there be a scoring system for the judges to judge who wins? Something like, I don't know, a point for each fact, or a point for each successful counter-argument?

---

Can we have a Sticky for this? Methinks it deserves it. Same for The Old School Bringy Back Movement Thread.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-05, 09:08 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Kinda reminds me of verbal boxing. ..."
Lenny, once Kyeruu is a Supreme Moderator he'll sticky it for you.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure if the debates will garner this site any huge popularity but maybe that'll bring back some older members. I just talked to Jessifer on AIM and she says she may stop by for a bit today. I'm not sure if she's into the debates or not, but I told her about the supreme moderator election =P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-04-05, 09:29 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Lenny, once Kyeruu is a Supreme..."
Yeah.. I'm for this idea.

Not sure how excited you guys are to hear that from me though.
Hah
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-04-05, 09:51 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have a particular setup in mind which..."

In favor.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2007-04-05, 09:57 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "http://www.zelaron.com/gear/thumbsup.jpg..."
lol
nice one chruser
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish