Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Review Template
Posted 2008-10-04, 06:07 PM
Should we have a template for each section of review, and have we decided on a generalized grading system for each section?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-10-04, 10:48 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "Review Template"
As far as a layout, we should offer at least the title and author for books. Video games should be title, publisher, developer. Movies should be title, director, and producer. Something that we could do that I haven't seen anywhere is a "Similar To" heading, which would just point out similar works that you might already enjoy that would give you a basic idea of the work being reviewed.

As far as grading, perhaps we could have 2 levels of grading. The first would be a simple rating of 1-5, A-F, or whatever other method we plan to use. The second would be a 1-10 meter that would show what level of interest in something is typical of the average consumer of said product. For example, let's take Diablo 3. Let's say it gets a "B". That would show that in it's genre it isn't the best, but it is definately worth getting. But does that mean everyone should go buy it? No. If you never played Diablo or Diablo II, then chances are your understanding of the story is going to be spotty at best. Thus, the plot would be confusing for you, and a majority of the people that are waiting for this game already know the whole backstory and whatnot. So, on the 1-10 meter, it would get an "8". That would just show that basically, this game is for the avid gamer, or a Diablo fan.

I dunno... I think my example is a little confusing, but fuck it. Perhaps you can understand it. If not, then I'll see if I can write up an example... So that's what I think on the subject though.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-10-05, 04:32 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "As far as a layout, we should offer at..."
I say people who decide to do reviews alot make their own templates and stick to their own formats. That will keep things fresh. However there should be a Zelaron standard for Title/System/Author/Publisher.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-10-05, 08:12 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I say people who decide to do reviews..."
Maybe the template idea could be for those of us who lack the ability of creating a world class review. I for one don't exactly have the best reviews. The kind of person like me would benefit the most from a template opposed to someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

Should we require them to discuss certain points of the piece of media, or literature they are reviewing?

How far should we require a person to be into the form of media before they can give a valid review? Some people like me have a bad habbit of playing for 10 minutes then assuming the rest. Infinite Undiscovery actually turned out pretty cool, where as my first impression was don't buy it. Should you be require to have completed the item before reviewing? Or perhaps giving an amount of time you have spent with it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-10-05, 08:57 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Maybe the template idea could be for..."
Regarding the rating system, I suggest that we let all members decide the score of the product using the thread rating feature. "Rate Thread" is disabled in quite a few forums, but when available, it shows up next to "Search This Thread" below the PM notification box. Because no-one really uses it, I think we could rename the feature to "Rate This Game/Movie/Book (and possibly album?)" and only allow it to be used in the review forums. We can probably ensure that the rating feature will show up outside one of the menus, too.

As for templates, I think this is a good example of a review: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35998

However, only the first 700 characters of a review will show up on the portal; reading the rest of it requires you to click a "Read More" link. Therefore, the bolded Title, Developer, Platform and Genre information in the beginning of the reviews should not be used. Besides, there's a prefix system in place that will let you choose the platform, and the title of the product will be the topic of the thread. The information about developer/genre can probably be baked into the review itself.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-10-05 at 09:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser