Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalised?
Yes - I wanna see the stoners! 11 57.89%
No - stoners killed my kitten! 3 15.79%
Undecided - meh. 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Question Legalization of Marijuana?
Posted 2007-10-05, 01:34 PM
Edit: Oh, could a mod please throw a poll up as well and make it public? Thanks

I can't believe I've never thought of this before.

Alright let's start off on the two sides of Legalizing Marijuana.

There's the side of people that DO NOT agree with it. Basically this side of the group has nothing to stand upon other than the fact that Marijuana honestly can be a gateway drug and kids can get hooked on much worse shit, look back in the late 60's early 70's when marijuana took off, the amount of kids on ACID skyrocketed, and it's no different today.

I PERSONALLY can't stand 'stoners'. They're arrogant to me. There are a few levels of stoners, of course. A portion of them are the ones that smoke like once/twice a day, which is alright, they may do it for stress or what-have-you, and that's really not too bad. Then you have the people that are STONERS that are lighting it up basically every chance that is presented to them. These are the people I can't stand, the people that have been smoking so much for so long that basically they're always in the "duuuuuuuuuuuude state where you can't talk to them without them becoming spacedout and on the opposite side of the world while your trying to ask them a simple fucking question.

And then there's the other side of Legalizing Marijuana which has some benefits. For one, our jail systems would clear out which would be GREAT for our economy not having to pay for the massive amount of drug users that wouldn't be incarcerated anymore. I feel as this is the best point about it, but is it worth it?

Also, taking away the illegal aspect of smoking Marijuana takes away the fun of it, hence making new kids not want to start up doing drugs. Because let's be honest, once you try pot your mind does start to wonder what effects will happen with the usual of different drugs such as acid, heroin, cocaine, etc, even different types of pot.

I personally feel that most of the people I KNOW that fall into the 'stoner' category are basically morons before the fact of them smoking pot and becoming addicted to it. No it's not very harmful to your body, actually it reduces stress in some cases, but is it worth turning into a sloth and having no control of your life while your buzz is going on, constantly, every day for no reason other than you just feel like getting "fucked up". And better yet, when is the time to grow up? Basically what i'm saying is my friends that smoke pot, are basically morons anyways, before they're high, before they ever even tried it, so basically I feel if you smoke, you are a moron.

I know a few people on here will disagree, but that's great. I'd love to hear other aspects of this argument. I just don't feel that legalizing marijuana will be a good thing or not, I know that it has helped in other countries like Amsterdam, but then again they've had so many morons flock over there that they had to make it for citizens only, America isn't the right place for Marijuana to be legalized for recreational use.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2007-10-05 at 01:37 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:47 PM in reply to D3V's post "Legalization of Marijuana?"
I'm kind of in between. I can't decide whether marijuana should be legalized, or whether alcohol should be illegal. Either way, they should be consistent.

I can go both ways. As a personal choice, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with either. You should be allowed to put whatever you want into your body. And neither of them are significantly harmful to you either way when done in moderation.

On the other hand, both substances can be detrimental to society when consumed by immature and irresponsible people; an inevitable consequence of legalizing marijuana.

I do think that a legitimate compromise could be reached, however. Perhaps in a private setting they should both be legalized, however if caught publicly inebriated on either marijuana or alcohol there should be a fine. Any crimes done while on the substance could carry a more severe sentence.

Not too sure. Just some of my thoughts.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-10-05 at 02:06 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-05, 02:00 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I'm kind of in between. I can't decide..."
Well that is an excellent look at it, but I feel it'd be much more complicated than to just throw down those laws, it'd really have to be one way or the other.

I mean i'll all down for listening to some KMK, Bob Marley, Sublime or even 311/Tool whatever, but the ramifications from smoking pot and being stoned for hours on end just drives me crazy, and when people around me are high I can't stand them.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-05, 02:19 PM in reply to D3V's post "Legalization of Marijuana?"
D3V said:
I PERSONALLY can't stand 'stoners'. They're arrogant to me. There are a few levels of stoners, of course. A portion of them are the ones that smoke like once/twice a day, which is alright, they may do it for stress or what-have-you, and that's really not too bad. Then you have the people that are STONERS that are lighting it up basically every chance that is presented to them. These are the people I can't stand, the people that have been smoking so much for so long that basically they're always in the "duuuuuuuuuuuude state where you can't talk to them without them becoming spacedout and on the opposite side of the world while your trying to ask them a simple fucking question.
Gonna have to agree with you there. I know a guy that's practically perma-stoned. He smokes, on average, 10 blunts a day. He's a fucking retard. You can just tell that he's missing some very important brain cells. You have to maintain moderation. Anything that is abused on a daily, even hourly, basis is going to be detrimental to your cause. Just like alcohol. I'm sure you guys have some friends that are alcoholics and are drunk all the time -- they're annoying. Same goes for people that are completely encompassed by marijuana. Marijuana should be a hobby, a past-time event that helps you deal with stress, make a specific activity more exciting, or to get away from 'it all.'

D3V said:
And then there's the other side of Legalizing Marijuana which has some benefits. For one, our jail systems would clear out which would be GREAT for our economy not having to pay for the massive amount of drug users that wouldn't be incarcerated anymore. I feel as this is the best point about it, but is it worth it?
Absolutely. Do you know how overcrowded America's jails are? Do you know how much the American public is being taxed because we have people in jail for years for a harmless drug? In the history of this drug, there has not been ONE single, documented case of it killing somebody. Can you say that about alcohol? Cigarettes? Hell mothafuckin no you can't. Why are drugs that kill thousands of people a year legal, while marijauna, which has MANY medicinal purposes, labeled as 'evil' and illegal? Basically, money. Do you know how much the government makes off of potheads when they get busted? Last year, I was busted with 2 (TWO) grams of weed. It has cost me ~$3,000 out of my own fucking pocket for TTTWWWOOO measly grams. Multiply that by the number of people that get busted everyday. We're talking billions.

D3V said:
Also, taking away the illegal aspect of smoking Marijuana takes away the fun of it, hence making new kids not want to start up doing drugs. Because let's be honest, once you try pot your mind does start to wonder what effects will happen with the usual of different drugs such as acid, heroin, cocaine, etc, even different types of pot.
Not true. If marijuana were made legal, it would still be the number one consumed drug in America. I, personally, would still smoke it. The only people that would stray away from it are the types of people that don't need to be smoking anyway. You know who I'm talking about. The idiot kids that brag about smoking weed because they think it makes them look cool. They're portraying the wrong image anyway. Smoking weed does not make you cool. I do not brag about smoking. It is a personal choice of mine that I use for my own gain. Not anybody else's. I could give a fuck what you think of me. I don't judge you, what gives you the tenacity to judge me?

D3V said:
I personally feel that most of the people I KNOW that fall into the 'stoner' category are basically morons before the fact of them smoking pot and becoming addicted to it. No it's not very harmful to your body, actually it reduces stress in some cases, but is it worth turning into a sloth and having no control of your life while your buzz is going on, constantly, every day for no reason other than you just feel like getting "fucked up". And better yet, when is the time to grow up? Basically what i'm saying is my friends that smoke pot, are basically morons anyways, before they're high, before they ever even tried it, so basically I feel if you smoke, you are a moron.
Marijuana does different things to different people. As KA has said in another post, for some people, it makes them creative. It makes them think of things they wouldn't normally think about while sober. How many movies, albums, TV shows have been created because the writers were sitting around passing a doob and thought, "Hey, I have a great idea." And they received millions for their ideas. The only harmful effect of weed goes straight to your lungs. Smoking anything is harmful to your lungs. If you straight up baked marijuana all your life, you wouldn't see a single harmful effect done to your body.

Basically, moderation is the key.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-05, 04:55 PM in reply to D3V's post "Legalization of Marijuana?"
I'm pretty sure this has been done multiple times on Zelaron, but I'll respond anyway.

I personally don't care either way, but I dislike people who are stoned just as much as I hate people that are drunk. It would have to be implemented just like alcohol currently is regarding smoking in public/etc, because there are people who simply don't want anything to do with it.

As long as it carries the same penalties as alcohol, I wouldn't really care. I'm pretty much in agreeance with Mj.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-10-05, 10:39 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I'm pretty sure this has been done..."
I'm jumping on the MJ/Volls bandwagon. I don't see the physical effects of marijuana being worse than those of alcohol. I will say that I prefer the company of stoners to that of drunks, perhaps because I spent many years as a stoner myself. Drunks are more obnoxious by my estimation.

As for pot being a "gateway" drug, I think that classification has been applied not because of the inherent physical/mental effects of marijuana itself. It seems to me that the likelihood of coming into contact with other illegal substances increases when interacting with marijuana dealers (because nobody "just sells pot"). If marijuana were no longer confined to illegal channels of distribution, it would no longer be tied up in markets that promote the use of harder substances.

That's just my opinion, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-10-05, 10:59 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I'm jumping on the MJ/Volls bandwagon. ..."
I agree that marijuana is a gateway drug because the same dude who sells you pot can sell you other shit too. If they were selling pot at gas stations, that would no longer be a problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-06, 11:35 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I agree that marijuana is a gateway..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I agree that marijuana is a gateway drug because the same dude who sells you pot can sell you other shit too. If they were selling pot at gas stations, that would no longer be a problem.
That's another amusing question; how would it be distributed? I imagine states who currently regulate alcohol sales directly (via ABC stores) would likely have marijuana restricted to such stores as well.

The idea of purchasing it at a gas station is pretty funny, but probably accurate for California.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-10-06, 03:42 PM in reply to D3V's post "Legalization of Marijuana?"
D3V said:
i dont agree with this entire statement. Most people that sell pot sell other drugs too. So they would be in jail anyways.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-10-08, 08:21 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "i dont agree with this entire..."
Oh, and another fringe benefit I seemed to have left out would be the taxation of the drug and extra money the government could make off of it, they would probably have a ridiculoous tax like cigarettes, however, so illegal marijuana would probably never go away.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-10-08, 08:22 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh, and another fringe benefit I seemed..."
The cost of illegal marijuana is so high due to the illegality of it. It would cost so much less, even with huge taxes on it, if it were being farmed or mass produced like any other sort of crop.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-08, 09:47 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The cost of illegal marijuana is so..."
!King_Amazon! said:
The cost of illegal marijuana is so high due to the illegality of it. It would cost so much less, even with huge taxes on it, if it were being farmed or mass produced like any other sort of crop.
Since America doesnt grow the best pot, it will remain illegal until they figure out how to make it the best. THe day that they figure out how to create the best weed, then mass production will begin and then prices will go down.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-10-08, 01:54 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Since America doesnt grow the best pot,..."
Just imagine, in twenty or thirty years, when oil has been replaced by proper fuel, who will America be invading? Why! The countires that grow the best weed, of course!

I can't say that smoking weed is a big problem around here. The legalisation of it would achieve little.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-10-08, 02:12 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Just imagine, in twenty or thirty..."
Marijuana is about as harmless as alcohol. It's not even a drug. Give us some, damn government.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-10-08, 02:14 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Since America doesnt grow the best pot,..."

No one country produces 'the best weed.'

And, the best I've smoked was grown right down the street in this old dude's hydroponic system. One hit I was a goner.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-08, 02:15 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Marijuana is about as harmless as..."
HandOfHeaven said:
Marijuana is about as harmless as alcohol. It's not even a drug. Give us some, damn government.
Marijauana is harmless. Alcohol, when consumed in absurd quantities, is very, very dangerous.

Weed > alcohol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-08, 02:18 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Marijauana is harmless. Alcohol, when..."
Well, SMOKING marijuana isn't harmless, but that isn't the fault of the marijuana. Smoking anything is bad for you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-08, 02:20 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well, SMOKING marijuana isn't harmless,..."
Yeah I know... I made that one of my points in my long post above.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-08, 02:47 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Yeah I know... I made that one of my..."
Ah, I hadn't read that post until now. Amazingly, it's a pretty damn accurate and informed post. It's too bad there are 100x more people who don't know what the hell they are talking about.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-08, 04:42 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Just imagine, in twenty or thirty..."
Lenny said:
Just imagine, in twenty or thirty years, when oil has been replaced by proper fuel, who will America be invading? Why! The countires that grow the best weed, of course!
At the risk of going offtopic, I doubt we'd need a real reason if we have the right people in charge.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker