Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

How did the universe begin?
Posted 2006-05-08, 05:59 PM
I'm going to start resurrecting one old thread a week that had good, intelligent activity, and see if maybe that can spark up some good conversation again, so here it is from this week:

I want your personal theory on this. Did god create the universe? Was there something else. Has it always been here? State which side you're taking (i.e. scientific, theological etc.) and try to support it as best you can. Lets try to not turn this into a debate. If you want to comment on someone elses theory, fine, but try to keep this thread from turning into an all-out debate about religion.

So, what do you think?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-05-08, 07:01 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "How did the universe begin?"
A female god was bored, decided it'd be funny to let living creatures that aren't omnipotent and omniscient suffer and go through life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2006-05-08, 07:12 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "How did the universe begin?"
Scientific. Something started the universe somehow, and something will somehow end it.

EDIT: Something being gravity, anti matter. Nothing religious.

Last edited by Sovereign; 2006-05-08 at 10:30 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-05-08, 08:34 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Scientific. Something started the..."
Scientific-theological. Something/Someone caused the "Big Bang" and the universe evolved from there. Every planet seems to have it's own story. Ours was just one of the ones that had the right stuff to create life(carbon etc).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-05-08, 10:18 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Scientific-theological. ..."
ill be the first to say god, but because he wanted peopel to worship him. Not because he just felt like it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2006-05-09, 12:07 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "He must have eaten a lot of mexicans..."
Every time I try to think of a non-religious explaination for what started it, it comes down to "there had to be some sort of supreme force or being that started it", if Gravity started everything, who/what put Gravity into place? And Who/what put that person/thing into place? It's a never-ending question of creation.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-05-09, 12:10 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Every time I try to think of a..."
Big bang theory, personally.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2006-05-09, 12:12 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Every time I try to think of a..."
Yea the big bang theory... where did the material come from to make a big bang? Oh it was from the previous big bang? The universe expanded then eventually retracted and formed up into a giant mass, and that exploded creating the universe.... All I want to know is where did the material that formed up to create a big bang come from?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2006-05-09, 12:14 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Yea the big bang theory... where did..."
Possibly a multi-trillion year cycle. Big bang, universe expands, then eventually gravity does it's thing and the universe compresses down to a singularity again, only to result in yet another big bang.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2006-05-09, 12:54 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Possibly a multi-trillion year cycle...."
But someone or something had to put these things into existance. Where did the singularity originally come from? The big bang theory only explains what happened(huge mass "bangs" and expands into the universe), it doesn't explain how the mass got there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-05-09, 12:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "But someone or something had to put..."
Creationism. Too many facts of existence go unexplainable by conventional scientific theory, such as the argument stated by King above.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2006-05-09, 03:31 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "But someone or something had to put..."
If we go creationism you could just as easily apply the same principles. If there is a supreme being where or from what did it come from? Ect, ect.
I'm pretty sure Blizzard had something to do with it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-09, 04:07 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "If we go creationism you could just as..."
In the Ender's Game series, it's theorized that existence always has been and always will be. Time is explained as the radius of a sphere. The center of the sphere is the beginning of time, of things, of mass, of existence. We're at a certain radius on the sphere, and, as the universe expands, the radius increases. It's a really interesting explanation (though, greatly rooted in fiction I'm sure) if anyone is interesting in reading. (The books kick ass too.)
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-05-09, 05:33 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "In the Ender's Game series, it's..."
Medieval Bob said:
In the Ender's Game series, it's theorized that existence always has been and always will be. Time is explained as the radius of a sphere. The center of the sphere is the beginning of time, of things, of mass, of existence. We're at a certain radius on the sphere, and, as the universe expands, the radius increases. It's a really interesting explanation (though, greatly rooted in fiction I'm sure) if anyone is interesting in reading. (The books kick ass too.)
I've read the entire Ender and Bean series, but I don't recall that. Mind telling me which book that's in?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-05-09, 11:50 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "In the Ender's Game series, it's..."
Medieval Bob said:
I vaguely remember that... its been a few year tho.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2006-05-10, 06:21 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I've read the entire Ender and Bean..."
It's in Xenocide, near the end of the book. They're trying to find a way to do the impossible, several times over, and this is one of the results of that research.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-05-16, 01:45 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "It's in Xenocide, near the end of the..."
We name our god - Budda.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2006-05-16, 08:33 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "How did the universe begin?"
May I remind you all that this forum is strictly on-topic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-05-17, 10:09 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "May I remind you all that this forum is..."
I believe in both creation and evolution. There are many facts that support evolution however when the question of where it all came from comes up, there dont seem to be any answers. I personally believe the smallest life forms were created by a supreme being, and as time went on they evolved. I mean, evolution is already proven.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2006-05-19, 12:55 AM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "I believe in both creation and..."
I dunno....call me a nerd, but I say we are all digital people in a large video game...why else would there be so much violence and stuff?

Maybe we are all just large blocks of well written artificial intellence that have begun to notice our "reproductive errors" and decided to start fixing them. God and science are boring...and both are wrong...God is just one "player's" interpretation of who programmed us... He/she probably saw it in the sky, and it was really P.O.C....which is Programmer of Creation. In our world of things that he programmed, the clouds are how he communicates with his people...and when they asked who created them, he/she (P.O.C) replied. They saw it upside down and backwards so they read God....i dunno...my theory has more holes than swiss cheese....but it makes life more interesting than thinking some holy dude was bored and made slaves that would eventually die off and he could use their souls, after they are aged to perfection, to feed his "holy miracle machine".....

Nah, but for real...I don't care how it started, as long as it doesn't plan on going anywhere soon....while I am still alive.....O.O
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003