Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Xenosaga Episode II
Posted 2004-02-19, 02:33 PM
review First Look2/10/04
Christopher Holzworth

Few RPGs have achieved the recognition and notoriety that the Xeno-series has. Although considered an “underground hit”, Xenogears’ stirred tremendous ripples throughout the RPG community as a result of its unbelievable storyline, plot intricacies, and characters. With the announcement of Xenosaga, a six episode series of epic proportions, Xeno-fans and the RPG community followed news of the series with anticipation. Although Episode I was a success, a lot of its game-related aspects had a lot left to be desired. In Episode II, Monolith Soft seeks to polish their union of movie and game elements as one and increase balance between the two. Battle system enhancements, diversity in dungeon exploration, and tuned-up visuals are a fraction of the refinements Monolith Soft has both exhibited and promised.

As expected, the story of Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut and Boese will bring resolution to many of the unanswered questions and occurrences from its predecessor. It’s been indicated that the opening cinema of the game will setup the core of Episode II’s plots and what part of the overall story it will play. Having finally made it to Second Miltia, Shion and her companions will meet up with her brother, Jin, a new playable character. From there the story will rocket into a series of revelations and discoveries predominantly revolving around Jr’s past as a U.R.T.V., the events that transpired on Old Miltia some fourteen years before, and of course, Zohar. Another new face to the Xenosaga story, Canaan, will play a role in the story as a friend of chaos’, an acquaintance of Jr’s, and possesses a major role regarding the Miltian Conflict. A special-type Realian, Canaan is said to be lacking in emotional diversity, and speaks more like a machine then an entity who strives for human rights and equality in treatment. His tune-ups are performed personally by Vector Industries, although his purpose in creation remains a mystery. A great deal of flashbacks will be exhibited pertaining to chaos, Canaan, their duties involving the Miltian Conflict, and of course, Jin Uzuki. This includes an epic sword battle against Margulis that many may remember from the original 8-Minute Xenosaga trailer. The fight has since been remodeled and given motion captured choreography to further illuminate its intensity.

Impossible to overlook, Episode II’s graphics have been given a slight face-lift, this time almost literally. While environments and effects seem to retain the same level of detail and touch found in its predecessor, characters from Episode II have been altered to improve realistic appearance. For most characters the changes have only been to their proportions, which have been adjusted to fix height discrepancies and awkwardness. For others, namely Shion and KOS-MOS, a much more noticeable change has occurred. Shion is no longer is the bookworm-large glasses-wearing geeky scientist, but instead a rather attractive young female of slender body and shape. She has a much more Asian look to her now, almost like she’s half-Japanese. KOS-MOS, on the other hand, has lost her extremely anime-styled bean-shaped head and owl eyes in exchange for an older, more mature face. A branding of sorts has also been incorporated into her design on her forehead. Many have complained about KOS-MOS’ new look, arguing that the new physique is more appropriate for an android, especially of KOS-MOS’ stature. Other characters, such as M.O.M.O., have been re-shaped as well; abandoning the more generic anime look for a refined anime style. Kunihiko Tanaka remains as the character illustrator, so the changes are not the result of a staff change within Monolith Soft.

Junya Ishigaki and Kouichi Mugitani are responsible for the design of the AGWS and AMWS units in Xenosaga, adding a stylish flair to a previous bland appearance in the mechs. This is most apparent in KOS-MOS’ unit, E.S. Dina., which boasts an almost “mechanized angelic” look to it.

The second most noticeable – and important – revision to the Xenosaga series is the battle system. Episode I’s was the source of much complaint, grief, and boredom with the game. Many hailed its storyline, characters, graphics, and sound, but shook fists angrily because of its slow battles and dungeons. In response, Monolith Soft has incorporated a combo-attack system into Xenosaga Episode II. It remains to be seen how characters will link attacks together, as the battle system remains fundamentally the same. Nevertheless, it’s been promised that up to three attacks can be joined together to unleash one devastating string of mayhem on the enemy.

With Episode I, players were able to set-off traps that could adversely affect enemies before battle was initiated; hidden passages or items could be exposed by blasting walls or obstructions to pieces. This concept is revived in Episode II, with the promise of further interaction and more animations by the on-screen character. Much like how Xenogears toggled between dungeons designated to the characters and those specifically intended for the Gears, Episode II will offer much more play-time allocated for the AGWS and their cousins, the AMWS; which will also be able to interact with dungeon environments to a degree.

Save data from Episode I will carry over to Episode II, and is said to certainly not be a waste of time, but rather something to look forward to.

Another trademark for the Xeno-series has been outstanding music. Both the original and Xenosaga Episode I’s soundtrack were composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, renowned for his work with Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and of course, Xenogears. With Episode I he brought the kind of epic sound previously only heard in the movies to RPGs; unfortunately, he has no involvement with Episode II. There is no information concerning the reason for his departure, but there has been a great deal of hype surrounding his replacement(s). Announced some time ago, Yuki Kajiura will be the great Mitsuda’s substitute – and there’s been little complaint of that. Kajiura has a privileged, distinguished career due to her phenomenal work for the anime series Noir and .hack//SIGN. Much like Mitsuda, her style reflects ethnicity and diversity, but incorporates more modern lines of percussion as opposed to Mitsuda’s more rigid classical sound.

There is some uncertainty concerning just how much Kajiura will be composing for Xenosaga. Briefly mentioned on Namco’s official Japanese website, another composer by the name of Shinji Hosoe may have the honor of collaborating with Yuki Kajiura. It seems Kajiura will be lending her talents primarily to the game's opening movie and other cinematic sequences. The in-game soundtrack will be scored by Hosoe, whose most notable works include Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion.

It would seem Xenosaga Episode II’s promise shines beyond the expectations involving its plot and characters. Many of the disappointments expressed over Episode I have been addressed and corrected, and many additions and changes have been promised that would seem to repair Xenosaga as a game. It’s safe to say that Episode II is a stunning achievement, and may just be the turning point for this epic series to stamp its name in greatness not just in story, but as a well-rounded game too.
Look forward to more details and news regarding Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und in the future, as its release in Japan draws nearer.

Link
http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/xeno2/xenosaga2.html
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-02-20, 06:08 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Xenosaga Episode II"
wow, i got bored of episode I. To many FMV's or what ever u wanna call them and the fact the a female was the main character was a huge downer. She was to wimpy and such the stupid hoe. that is just my opinion.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-02-20, 06:56 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post "Xenosaga Episode II"
Sweet. I can't wait until this one hits. I still wanna see what they do for Episode 5. Will they 'remake' Xenogears? I did hear the creator of the series was somewhat unsatisfied with how the game turned out. Perhaps it will operate slightly differently...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-02-20, 08:48 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Sweet. I can't wait until this one..."
I just want to find out how VIrgil either didn't die or was reborn.

I also want to find out chaos's powers and why he has them. As well as Wilhelm's presence in the game. Not to mention seeing Margulis and Albedo again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-02-22, 09:11 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "wow, i got bored of episode I. To many..."
Tyrannicide said:
wow, i got bored of episode I. To many FMV's or what ever u wanna call them and the fact the a female was the main character was a huge downer. She was to wimpy and such the stupid hoe. that is just my opinion.
I kind of liked tge amount of FMVs, made the game more like an interactive movie, but I agree that Shion wasn't a very interesting character (but that MIGHT change). I was more interested in KOSMOS and Ziggy's parts of the story.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2004-02-22, 09:15 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "I kind of liked tge amount of FMVs,..."
Ziggy was interesting, but I was more interested in the past of Albedo-Rubedo-Gaignun.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-02-22, 11:01 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Ziggy was interesting, but I was more..."
Actually it's Albedo-Rubedo-Nigredo. And I really don't care about the U.R.T.V.'s past, as much as I do chaos's, and Wilhelm's. I also hope we'll be introduced to the Commander of the U-TIC. They mention "The Laborinth" which is the U-TIC Organization
HQ. Maybe we will explore it in this new game.

Not to mention, Cpatain Mathews. "The U-TIC ORganization? Never thought I'd have to hear that cursed name again." He obviously either fought against them or was in-league with them in some way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-02-24, 08:54 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "Actually it's Albedo-Rubedo-Nigredo...."
Yeah, I think there might be something in Matthew's past.

Still love that hat he wears, though.

Last edited by Rurouni Storm; 2004-02-24 at 09:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2004-02-24, 11:15 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "Yeah, I think there might be something..."
does anybody know when this game is going to be released?I never played the first Xenosaga game but I had Xenogears and I loved it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-25, 12:55 AM in reply to Dan XIII's post starting "does anybody know when this game is..."
Maybe June in Japan. Japanese people always know when their games are coming out. And we are always left outside the circle of information.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1